What's new

Playoff Talk Premature

gomretat

I was amazed last night at Boler, Harp, and Thurl taking so matter of fact that this team is in the playoffs next year. Do they not realize we finished the season on a 12 - 30 run? I think trading Deron was the right thing and said so at the time. I like our young guys and think we can get a decent player in the draft. However, unless we make some other significant moves, this team has a long way to go to become a playoff team. The future is bright but that may not be next year.

Last edited:
Ideally I'd like the see the Jazz really suck next year and land a lottery with their own and hope the Warriors suck too. 2 more lotto picks, & trade Memo for another good pick. Make this OKC II

We couldn't trade memo for a good pick without either A. Taking on a similiar contract for a worse player or B. Giving up a future part of our team like The Hayward, which is not happening.

And if it did....

Jabba.jpg

^ Concept art of my face when Hayward gets traded for a "crafty veteran".

At any rate, I am constantly seeing people on this site say, "trade raja for a pick" or "Cj for a pick". Nobody would trade a pick for any of these players. The only way they take them is if they also get our picks. We can't expect KOC to trade **** for gold. Well except for the Al Jefferson trade...

Jazz are one player away from being a 50 win team. They're starting to gel.

Millsap is running some nice plays at the 3. Boler and Harp weren't the first to call his shot silky smooth. Old Franklin been saying this all season. If Sap can get his shot off a little quicker he can be really dangerous coming off screens. He took a pass above the elbow last night and looked like the bailout option (this is where he played give and go with Jeff but popped back out for a wide open shot). He had a ton of options, which hasn't been normal for the Jazz this season, especially on a last chance pass.

Jefferson is closer to his pre-injury self.

Hayward is getting me really excited. Kid is a gamer, and he is showing the one thing this board wanted to see all season: confidence.

Favors crushes the offensive glass. That's a morale killer.

This leaves us in need of a strong point. Harris is starting to come into the picture, but I'm not a big fan.

AJ, Favors, Sap, Hayward, Harris + 2 top ten picks + one FA signing.

I say push hard for Nash and then trade Harris for another 2 or 3. I love Hayward's length at 2 or 3, but think he'd excel best at 2. Get someone to complement him while he grows.

I think if The Jazz can manage to maintain more than 8 healthy players a night and not have about 30-35 million dollars in contracts wearing suits all season, then I don't think a 6-8 seed is out of the question.

We couldn't trade memo for a good pick without either A. Taking on a similiar contract for a worse player or B. Giving up a future part of our team like The Hayward, which is not happening.

There is a worse player than Memo? Memo didn't even play nor do we know if he can actually play more than 10 game anymore.

Jazz are one player away from being a 50 win team. They're starting to gel.

Millsap is running some nice plays at the 3. Boler and Harp weren't the first to call his shot silky smooth. Old Franklin been saying this all season. If Sap can get his shot off a little quicker he can be really dangerous coming off screens. He took a pass above the elbow last night and looked like the bailout option (this is where he played give and go with Jeff but popped back out for a wide open shot). He had a ton of options, which hasn't been normal for the Jazz this season, especially on a last chance pass.

Jefferson is closer to his pre-injury self.

Hayward is getting me really excited. Kid is a gamer, and he is showing the one thing this board wanted to see all season: confidence.

Favors crushes the offensive glass. That's a morale killer.

This leaves us in need of a strong point. Harris is starting to come into the picture, but I'm not a big fan.

AJ, Favors, Sap, Hayward, Harris + 2 top ten picks + one FA signing.

I say push hard for Nash and then trade Harris for another 2 or 3. I love Hayward's length at 2 or 3, but think he'd excel best at 2. Get someone to complement him while he grows.

Excellent post Frank.

If a team like Memphis can make the playoffs with their current roster make-up, I don't see why a healthy Utah team cannot make a run at the playoffs next season.

To echo Frank about Jefferson returning to pre-injury form, I have to agree that I also see that. When the Jefferson deal first went down, I always felt like his 1st season in Utah would be more of a "getting acclimated" type of year. I think Al did that rather well and is poised for an even better year next year.

Jefferson managed to play all 82 games this year while setting career highs in blocked shots and assists while also setting a career low for turnovers. He's becoming a more efficient basketball player and IMO we've only seen the beginning. He's going to be a beast.

The biggest issue for Utah will be staying healthy. If they can trot out the same starting 5 for most of the season they are probably a playoff team as-is.

Ideally I'd like the see the Jazz really suck next year and land a lottery with their own and hope the Warriors suck too. 2 more lotto picks, & trade Memo for another good pick. Make this OKC II

Yes, yes and yes. KOC has to dump the baggage (AK, Elson, Price and Bell) so that coach Ty is forced to play and develop the young guys. Keeping a vet should only be done so he can mentor, not so he can start. Considering the relatively young ages of Millsap, Jefferson and Harris, they are probably okay to keep unless the Jazz can pick up some more serious assets.

I'm expect Okur to return and play 10-15 minutes/night, and also Kirilenko to return and start. With Jefferson and Favors starting and Millsap off the bench as a tweener, that's a very good frontcourt (against the Lakers, start Millsap on Artest and bring in Kirilenko to guard Odom, if they still have their current team together).

Hayward starting and Miles off the bench in the backcourt, both can also swith to SF injury situations.

I havent seen enough of Harris, but so far his box scores have not impressed. This seems to be the position where we need the most work.

I think we will be a playoff team next year, even without drastic changes. Maybe I'm being too swayed by our winning 3 of the last four games, all against playoff opponents.

What's the minimum you think they need?

I don't know. I really didn't see any signs that this team is one player away, though. Yeah, there were injuries, and maybe chemistry issues, but even when they put a full team on the court, they never struck me as being close. If Favors were to develop his game more this summer, that would help, but the lockout could be devastating for him. He could use the summer league to figure **** out, and hopefully he takes the initiative and works out on his own. The interior defense still sucks, the outside shooting is not threatening, and they could use a veteran on the bench who can help Ty. Not a player, but a coach. I'm not sure this team will see the playoffs for a couple of years, and that might be optimistic. I'm just not seeing anything that gives me hope right now.

Give it a rest. I often wonder about some posters' outlook on life when they turn to bitching about the local play by play guy hoping that their team will be back in the playoffs. They are the TV people for a professional basketball team. They are trying to fill 150+ minutes of air time entertaining the 27 year old guy who still wonders what might have been if coach would have played him more his senior year, my grandma, and all the resident 275lb armchair Jazzfanz experts - all while trying to make bad basketball (during the last part of the season) not sound so bad and provide some sort of optimism.

What would you prefer? For them to just talk about how bad the Jazz suck, rip the front office, crack on AK/Memo, and then have then ask Harris/Jefferson during their post-game interviews if they have ever noticed that their teams lose wherever they go?

Harpring and Boler are not objective and unbiased. Good luck on one of the smallest market NBA teams based in Utah (and all of its stereotypes) attracting one of the 4 Jazzfanz-acceptable play-by-play guys over this next off season.

Their opinion is just as valid as yours. Just like Sloanfail pointed out elsewhere...most people here thought this years team was a 4 seed or higher. Now a lot are saying they won't even crack a top 8 seed next year. Guess what. Your opinion is worth as much as the signed Deron Williams jerseys the Jazz gave out to season ticket holders two weeks before the trade.

Good hell this place can be negative.

I'm expect Okur to return and play 10-15 minutes/night, and also Kirilenko to return and start. With Jefferson and Favors starting and Millsap off the bench as a tweener, that's a very good frontcourt (against the Lakers, start Millsap on Artest and bring in Kirilenko to guard Odom, if they still have their current team together).

Hayward starting and Miles off the bench in the backcourt, both can also swith to SF injury situations.

I havent seen enough of Harris, but so far his box scores have not impressed. This seems to be the position where we need the most work.

I think we will be a playoff team next year, even without drastic changes. Maybe I'm being too swayed by our winning 3 of the last four games, all against playoff opponents.

I don't expect anything from Okur and they should just cut ties with Kirilenko and move on. They should pick up Miles' option only for trade value. Neither AK or CJ should be in the team's future plans.

Has AK ever been able to guard Odom?

Folks, I don't know what gives you hope that AK is going to be a contributor for this team. He hasn't for at least 3 years now. And certainly this year only proved that we should cut ties ASAP with his declining quickness and lack of durability. Paying someone to miss half the season just isn't profitable anymore for a small market team struggling to survive in this big market driven league.

I don't know. I really didn't see any signs that this team is one player away, though. Yeah, there were injuries, and maybe chemistry issues, but even when they put a full team on the court, they never struck me as being close. If Favors were to develop his game more this summer, that would help, but the lockout could be devastating for him. He could use the summer league to figure **** out, and hopefully he takes the initiative and works out on his own. The interior defense still sucks, the outside shooting is not threatening, and they could use a veteran on the bench who can help Ty. Not a player, but a coach. I'm not sure this team will see the playoffs for a couple of years, and that might be optimistic. I'm just not seeing anything that gives me hope right now.

Don't get me wrong, I hold pretty much the same view. This team is terrible to the point they're almost unwatchable. However, the Jazz have a ton of valuable pieces that's setting up for a big splash. To answer your question, I think trading for a big name will put them back into contention. This requires growth from the rookies as well.

If they stay young they're going to be terrible no matter how good they draft. Young teams don't make the playoffs even if they are super talented. It takes years for guys to figure winning out. The Jazz brass know this and will be looking for balance. I think KOC has been hinting to the media that he wants to make a block move, but that's just me speculating.

Hawyard, Harris, Favors, Millsap, 2 lottery picks, and Memo's expiring plus insurance potential is a lot to offer.