What's new

Please read this! SLC Dunk- Black Lives Matter

I think this is partly because of the way that BLM as an organization is presented. It only seems to pop up when it's white on black issues, never when it's black on black. The appearance is that they are opportunistic race baiters causing division.

I would love for the BLM organization to actually go out and do positive outreach in communities but their agenda seems more predicated on division than inclusion/unity.
I think the point is, if someone says black lives matter, don’t ever be one of the morons in the comments saying all lives matter or minimizing or changing the message. Support the message. Black lives matter. Period. No ones asking you to specifically be in lock step with the organization.

Not saying I agree with everything going on right now tho
But agreeing with “black lives matter” isn’t a hard concept to grasp regardless.

Like I feel bad for Donovan, he was probably embarrassed, mad, sad, obviously upset enough to change his profile pics from Jazz stuff. Even if it is a small portion of idiots it’s time for them to understand, or drive them out.

This post of yours that I'm quoting doesn't say much

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

We're at a point where if someone responds with "All Lives Matter" to BLM they're either ignorant as ****/just flat out stupid or racist. And in a lot of cases it's all three.
The kings color guy got fired for responding to Boogie the same way. Lol. I can picture him acting all tough and like he’s politically correct, except he wasn’t, rotfl.

I think this is partly because of the way that BLM as an organization is presented. It only seems to pop up when it's white on black issues, never when it's black on black. The appearance is that they are opportunistic race baiters causing division.

I would love for the BLM organization to actually go out and do positive outreach in communities but their agenda seems more predicated on division than inclusion/unity.

Black lives matter isn't just about loss of lives. While that is sad that isn't what this movement is about. When a citizen murders a citizen the crime is attempted to be solved. In most cases when the person is discovered they are convicted. The same cannot be said of police abusing their power.

What you are wishing for does exist. I'm not sure how you have come to they conclusion that they don't do outreach things in the community.

It's pretty factual that there is systematic racism in the USA. "Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism." It's pretty simple and hard to believe people are opposed to that. Maybe you don't like how some people carry that out but that's a different argument.

Every cause doesn't have to include everyone wrong or Injustice in the world to validate it. Most movements are specific to a cause and focus on that. There is nothing wrong with that. If a cause is to solve world hunger with children of course they are going to focus on children and point out situations where it's happening. They doesn't mean adults aren't starving. Every cause can't solve every problem.

It sucks because Jazz fans have already been labeled racist so this doesn't help but every teams BLM statements comments looked very similar.
Go check the Lakers most recent, it’s full of terrible comments.

I have to say, the first few comments in this thread didn't give me a lot of happy feelings here, but enough of you all pushed back on it to make me feel good about my fandom.

repost, but this is my work

Had some guests over the other day. We ate a pie I made for desert.

"Do you like the pie? It's a blackberry pie." I asked one of my guests.

"I like all pies!" My guest responded.

"Yeah sure, pie is good, but do you like this pie? I made it myself." I asked again.

"I don't know why you want to act like this is the only pie that is is good. All pies are good! I like ALL PIES! This pie isn't any better than any other pie!" They were actually getting a bit heated about this. It was weird.

"I'm not saying this is the only good pie, I just wanted to know if you liked the pie I made."

"I'm not going to say that! I'm not going to disrespect all other pies just so you can think your pie is the only one that is good." They were starting to talk really loud and everyone else stopped talking and started looking at us.

"Well, I'm sorry. I don't make pie very often and I just wanted to know if I did a good job on this blackberry pie." I tried to calm things down a bit.

"Blueberry pies are good!" They exclaimed while puffing out their chest and sitting up extra high.

"Wait, I'm confused. You take offense to saying my blackberry pie is good because you say all pies are good and we shouldn't single out just one kind of pie because that makes it sound like we're saying all the other pies aren't good, but now you're telling me blueberry pies are good? So are blueberry pies better than other pies?"

"All pies are good! All Pies are good!"

"But you can't or won't say my blackberry pie is good? And you WILL say that blueberry pies are good?" I had no idea what was even going on anymore.

"All pies are good!"

"So are blackberry pies good, too?"

"All pies are good! I like all pies!"

"But you refuse to say that blackberry pies are good?"

"I said all pies are good! What more do you want? Why are you being such a selfish jerk about your pie? What you think your pie is better than a blueberry pie?"

"Alright man, I tried. I think you should probably leave, you're not being very reasonable, or respectful for that matter." I stood and started walking towards the door to open it for them. They got up in a huff, gathered their things and came towards the door. Just as they were walking out they said:

"I hate blackberry pies. They're nasty. They need to stay away from all the rest of the pies and especially blueberry pies!"

"Holy **** man! If you hate blackberry pies just say so. No need to go on about how all pies are good when you actually don't like all pies, you don't like the blackberry ones. What the hell were you going on about this entire time? You're a weird as dude and you're not welcome here anymore." I closed the door and shook my head.

Call me what you want #All lives matter
So are you able to say specifically that Black Lives Matter?

Sure all lives matter. We get that. It's just hard to understand the reluctance some have for saying specifically that Black Lives Matter.

Whites kill whites too almost at the same rate. Never heard a thing about it. Most murders are intraracial.

And BLM addressed multiple times why they don't focus on black on black murders.

I think the point is, if someone says black lives matter, don’t ever be one of the morons in the comments saying all lives matter or minimizing or changing the message. Support the message. Black lives matter. Period. No ones asking you to specifically be in lock step with the organization.

I don't disagree at all. I just think the messaging has been muddied and is therefore taking attention away from the entire point of the phrase.

Black lives matter isn't just about loss of lives. While that is sad that isn't what this movement is about. When a citizen murders a citizen the crime is attempted to be solved. In most cases when the person is discovered they are convicted. The same cannot be said of police abusing their power.

What you are wishing for does exist. I'm not sure how you have come to they conclusion that they don't do outreach things in the community.

It's pretty factual that there is systematic racism in the USA. "Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism." It's pretty simple and hard to believe people are opposed to that. Maybe you don't like how some people carry that out but that's a different argument.

Every cause doesn't have to include everyone wrong or Injustice in the world to validate it. Most movements are specific to a cause and focus on that. There is nothing wrong with that. If a cause is to solve world hunger with children of course they are going to focus on children and point out situations where it's happening. They doesn't mean adults aren't starving. Every cause can't solve every problem.

You've made my point though by saying "you may not like how some people carry that out."

Those people, are the ones hijacking the movement and making it less impactful because it appears to be more about division than inclusion and coming together as a people.

Context Matters. Saying Black lives matter incites that they didn’t before. Of course they matter, they always have. Isn’t it that pretty clear when I say All lives matter?

look it’s clear we don’t agree on this issue. All I am trying to say is to me the article is racist. Racism is a two way street and as long as we see people as black, white, brown and yellow. There will be racism, in other words we will be divided.

Context Matters. Saying Black lives matter incites that they didn’t before. Of course they matter, they always have. Isn’t it that pretty clear when I say All lives matter?

look it’s clear we don’t agree on this issue. All I am trying to say is to me the article is racist. Racism is a two way street and as long as we see people as black, white, brown and yellow. There will be racism, in other words we will be divided.
Does saying breast cancer matters incite that it didn't before?
Does saying Boston strong after the Boston Marathon attacks incite that Boston wasn't strong before?

You are really reaching here.
And the point is that black lives have mattered less than white lives. Sure they still matter but they would like to matter as much as white lives. Equality. Right now all lives matter.... They just don't matter the same amount. That is the problem.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Black lives do matter. It's as simple as that. You can support the movement and be critical of the methods. I don't like everything that's happening, but I still support the idea.
That said, I don't have the time to look at every poster but I'm not convinced those negative comments are all from Jazz fans. Twitter is a crap fest. Also, guessing you can find the same negative comments in other team's timelines. .

What a convenient excuse to pigeonhole all Jazz fans and remove his Jazz gear. Land of the free New York City, here he comes. Good riddance, ya ****ing baby.

The idea that any comment that questions BLM or the methods of protest currently being employed is racist is manipulative and wrong.

I don't know of anyone who says that *any* criticism is wrong. However, many people who want to protests to go away for racist reasons will try to portrays their questions as not being racist.