What's new

Point God Donovan Mitchell

DM needs more time at PG. This is all with him being shoe-horned into SG when he is, and we are, better with him at PG. He just hasn't had enough time consistently there to establish his full PG identity because we keep trying to force him into a SG role. That is what all these articles show.

Mitchell_PG_vs_SG_starts__1_.png
What about breaking this down by year?

From the article “Of the three times he’s reached his current regular season career-high of 46 points, two of them came in contests where Mitchell started at PG.”

wasn’t his 57 point game also when Mike was forced to miss game 1?

He definitely steps up. This year the team is playing well and it's more of the usual, winning. Last year Conley wasn't playing well the first half of the year, then we had our easiest part of our schedule. But there's no doubt Conley has made us much better this year. We are missing him, but we've fought hard and won still. Our offense isn't nearly as good without him.

We also won this year without Mitchell, but I know he's really good and very important to our team.
Of course having a good player (Conley) is preferable to not having them. I think the point trying to be made is that we might be better off if we had a different, more needed, type of player in place of Conley. Like you said, Mitchell plays the point anyway which makes Conley a bit redundant.
I don't think anyone would prefer so simply not have Conley. I do think some people would prefer to not have Conley and have a big dynamic wing to guard guys like LeBron, kahwi, Ingram, Durant etc instead.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

From the article “Of the three times he’s reached his current regular season career-high of 46 points, two of them came in contests where Mitchell started at PG.”

wasn’t his 57 point game also when Mike was forced to miss game 1?
I believe both 50 point games came with Mike out.

The offense flows so much better with Conley... Donovan is stepping up and its admirable, but nothing compares to that experience Conley has. Pretty sure Donovan has learned a thing or two as well. Would not change a thing.

Multiple things can be true.

Donovan's best and most productive position can be playing PG as well as Conley's been the best PG for the team (so far) this season.

Mike Conley is playing and helping this team to one of it's best starts of a season in franchise history. IF (big if) the Jazz would've been able to get someone like Jeremy Grant (likely would've had to been when OKC traded him to DNV) it would've addressed a bigger need need then Conly.

The follow up questions for me would be, if Donovan was full time PG the Jazz would they be as consistent and steady as they are with Conley also helping man that PG minutes and would the Jazz be playing as well they are right now at 20-5 without Conley and having Grant instead. That is hard to say and speculative but just thoughts.

Multiple things can be true.

Donovan's best and most productive position can be playing PG as well as Conley's been the best PG for the team (so far) this season.

Mike Conley is playing and helping this team to one of it's best starts of a season in franchise history. IF (big if) the Jazz would've been able to get someone like Jeremy Grant (likely would've had to been when OKC traded him to DNV) it would've addressed a bigger need need then Conly.

The follow up questions for me would be, if Donovan was full time PG the Jazz would they be as consistent and steady as they are with Conley also helping man that PG minutes and would the Jazz be playing as well they are right now at 20-5 without Conley and having Grant instead. That is hard to say and speculative but just thoughts.
We don't really know because he has only stepped in as injury replacement, but the number show it might be better if he is always replacing an injured PG full time. I think there would be an adjustment period but I think with Donovan at the point full time we would see a more dynamic team. I love the way Conley is playing, but he is still redundant, a lot like Lillard and McCollum in Portland. They are redundant so you miss a dynamic that could be very valuable to the team. I still think this will possibly hurt us in the playoffs as we try to defend bigger stronger wings in a playoff scenario, whereas if DM were our point, we could have added a Grant-type player, which gives us yet one more dimension on D and another different kind of weapon on O. I do not feel Conley fills an urgent devastating need for us. He is a good addition to the team and is playing well, but our one glaring weakness is till a weakness. We might be able to overcome by committee, as we have so far, but in the playoffs it is a whole other animal.

I am worried we are a team built for stellar regular season success who will still fold in the playoffs. These details matter in the post-season for sure.

Show me one team that has won it all on the backs of 2 under-sized point guards in the starting line-up.

Of course having a good player (Conley) is preferable to not having them. I think the point trying to be made is that we might be better off if we had a different, more needed, type of player in place of Conley. Like you said, Mitchell plays the point anyway which makes Conley a bit redundant.
I don't think anyone would prefer so simply not have Conley. I do think some people would prefer to not have Conley and have a big dynamic wing to guard guys like LeBron, kahwi, Ingram, Durant etc instead.

I agree if a player as good as Conley existed that was available to us who was also a big dynamic wing I would prefer that. The player wasn't available to us nor is.

Conley isn't redundant of Mitchell they are different players and provide valuable things to us winning. Conley brings veteran leadership that I think has really helped this team win. He knows how to run an offense very well and set up teammates. I think he has also helped make Mitchell a better player. We also have lots of wings on this team. Far more wings then PGs.

You seemed to be implying that maybe we don't need Conley because we win more without Conley though. By that same logic we don't need Mitchell this year.

This this

You seemed to be implying that maybe we don't need Conley because we win more without Conley though. By that same logic we don't need Mitchell this year.

What is the jazz record without Mitchell and what's the sample size?
The jazz record without our starting point guard (not just Conley) is amazing and the sample size is large.

What is the jazz record without Mitchell and what's the sample size?
The jazz record without our starting point guard (not just Conley) is amazing and the sample size is large.

So you are making that claim?

This year we are deep enough that one guy out doesn't matter. Conley, ingles, and Mitchell have proven that. Last year we won more because of the schedule. It's happened multiple years recently. We struggle early and hit our easy schedule and win a bunch. Thankfully this year is different!