What's new

POLL: Gordon Hayward's high expectations

Has Hayward lived up to his MAX contract so far this season?

• Yes, he's balling

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • No, I was expecting more from him

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • How dare you question the Almighty

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
No offense, but whoever said no is stupid. He has at least lived up to it. We could trade him for king's ransom right now.

You know who'd love to pay his MAX contract... every other team in the league. His skill set is unique... he can carry the offense at times, but others he can be the blender. He is getting a ton of defensive attention... if we had another good perimeter creator (could be Burks, could be Exum) we'd be in great shape. He's also a good defender and a good teammate. He's the kind of player that other players like to play with... doesn't dominate the ball and such.

I'd love to see who said no...

No offense, but whoever said no is stupid. He has at least lived up to it. We could trade him for king's ransom right now.

You know who'd love to pay his MAX contract... every other team in the league. His skill set is unique... he can carry the offense at times, but others he can be the blender. He is getting a ton of defensive attention... if we had another good perimeter creator (could be Burks, could be Exum) we'd be in great shape. He's also a good defender and a good teammate. He's the kind of player that other players like to play with... doesn't dominate the ball and such.

I would vote NO again if I could. Maybe I should have rephrased the poll question. Do you consider Hayward to be our #1 offensive option in our road to a Championship? Which is the kind of players that should get MAXED out? And yes I say MAXED out because we gave him the maximum amount of money he could be given. And oh yeah teams were going crazy on him. I only recall Charlotte offering him the max, slick move by MJ.

#TradeHayward

I was against matching the offer that charlotte gave to Hayward. Then after the first 25 games or so Hayward had me believing that he would be a number one option, all star, alpha dog, and one of the top players in the nba.

I feel like over the last 10 games or so he has been in a slump and some of those hopes I had have shrunk. (The slump may be due to injuries to his supporting cast)

Overall I still feel good about Haywards play and I don't hate his contract like I thought I was going to when we matched

I would vote NO again if I could. Maybe I should have rephrased the poll question. Do you consider Hayward to be our #1 offensive option in our road to a Championship? Which is the kind of players that should get MAXED out? And yes I say MAXED out because we gave him the maximum amount of money he could be given. And oh yeah teams were going crazy on him. I only recall Charlotte offering him the max, slick move by MJ.

#TradeHayward

Rofl

To me a max player puts up team best to AS numbers on a good team - until then the jury is out.

To me a max player puts up team best to AS numbers on a good team - until then the jury is out.

If this is expected at Hayward's level of max, what's expected at the next level?
-
I think Gordo is worth his contract right now, but if he pretty much stays at this level, I have serious doubts about paying him once he reaches a true max.

#TradeHayward

That's not rephrasing the question... That's asking a totally different one. I also think that we aren't ever going to have a ball hogging high usage number one option... Who's the number one option on Memphis or Atlanta? We are a system team and Hayward is as good of an offensive weapon as those teams have.

Hayward haters gonna hate. Trust me if we decided to trade Hayward we'd have teams lined up to take him off our hands.

That's not rephrasing the question... That's asking a totally different one. I also think that we aren't ever going to have a ball hogging high usage number one option... Who's the number one option on Memphis or Atlanta? We are a system team and Hayward is as good of an offensive weapon as those teams have.

Hayward haters gonna hate. Trust meif we decided to trade Hayward we'd have teams lined up to take him off our hands.

Cool, more options to choose from.

Sure, there are times in the game where it feels he goes kind of invisible, but everybody in the league has those moments. It's completely unfair to him to have expected more from him.

Sometimes (frequently, in fact) he goes "invisible" for the better part of a half a game. Max, great or any other term you would care to list, players, do not do that! Has he improved? Unquestionably! Has he become the complete player and leader that we need him to be? Not in my book. Not yet. I am not against Gordon in any way. Lately it's been a good first quarter followed by nothing much until the fourth quarter. It's time to put away potential and the future. Because he is being re-numerated big time now he must become a complete and totally reliable player now or ultimately be considered a failure. I still hold out hope for this to happen but just being realistic meanwhile.

Sometimes (frequently, in fact) he goes "invisible" for the better part of a half a game. Max, great or any other term you would care to list, players, do not do that! Has he improved? Unquestionably! Has he become the complete player and leader that we need him to be? Not in my book. Not yet. I am not against Gordon in any way. Lately it's been a good first quarter followed by nothing much until the fourth quarter. It's time to put away potential and the future. Because he is being re-numerated big time now he must become a complete and totally reliable player now or ultimately be considered a failure. I still hold out hope for this to happen but just being realistic meanwhile.

Sure they do. Hebron even facilitates for a half.

This is QS doing that.

The change I would like to see is the offense almost always go thru Hayward......

Hayward also plays the most minutes in the first and fourth quarter usually. From what I've seen in games, Quin leaves Hayward in almost all of the first quarter then sits him for maybe half the second quarter. Then he plays most of the 4th, for obvious reasons, and less than that in the third.

Also... you're asking a player to exert dominance throughout the entire game. By that standard, nobody in the league is a max player.

In terms of reliability... how are you going to judge reliability? He's already one of the more reliable players in the game to produce a shot or create a shot for teammates when its asked of him. It sounds like you're expecting him to be involved in every offensive play and have him assist or score. That just won't happen. An average of 2 buckets a quarter with 1 assist is already a respectable 18/4 game (assuming a couple 3s).

That being said, I think Gordon can become a more complete player and leader. Players can get better during their contract. He will get better. But I don't think there should be a question about whether he's played up to his contract this season. He has definitely met expectations for this year.

And also... the God of NBA Journalism has spoken about Gordon (maybe not god, but I like Lowe and think he's a great writer):

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/al-horford-atlanta-hawks-superstar/
(Likes/Dislikes #10)

Hayward has proved Utah (and Charlotte) right for betting on a bounce-back season. There are lots of variables at play — better coaching, better teammates, some regression to the mean after a terrible shooting season — but Hayward deserves credit for honing a crafty one-on-one scoring game.

Hayward has hit a sizzling 37-of-70 on isolation plays, per Synergy Sports. That’s one of the best marks in the league, and Hayward has managed it without coughing the ball up much. Utah’s offense has died with Hayward on the bench all season, but at least the Jazz can go forward knowing they have one nice wing centerpiece.

HAYWARD STAYS IN UTAH. On a side note, I love Gordon's funky slow stepbacks/fadeaways that Lowe describes he does in isolation in the 1-4 low set. He nails so many of those, and they're just a joy to watch. Crazy soft touch on those.

Cause' imo his value was $12 million-ish, but nooo, he had to go out there and scrap a couple more million bucks like a little snot. Well, perform like a $14 million player, which means feeling safe about his decisions 90% of the time and I might consider changing my opinion on him. He still has too many turnovers in crucial moments of the game, especially for a $14 MILLION PLAYER, BUT FIIINE, I CAN ONLY ROLL WITH IT AND WILL.

He asked for being 'scrutinized' with his actions, at least on my part.