What's new

Poll: Should the Jazz Match Hayward's $15.75 a year/4 year Contract?

Should They Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/18/4854170/derrick-favors-contract-extension-utah-jazz
Favors' representatives and the Jazz have reportedly been working on a deal for several months and the two sides were able to come to an agreement less than two weeks before the Oct. 31 deadline. If Favors didn't sign an extension by the deadline, he would have become a restricted free agent next summer, and he could have commanded a deal worth $13 million per season, according to Wojnarowski
Seems like a discount. Not as much as I thought though.

You think the Jazz weren't prepared to offer Favors more $? (Ir)Regardless(Boozer), that's what they offered him. If the Jazz match the offer, they will in effect be offering Hayward that ridiculous contract. Think about where you work...Your company gives you a raise and you accept it. Your co-worker who's been steadily declining in performance, is always late, has a bad attitude, passes the buck, whatever, is due for a raise and goes to the competition for leverage. Your company finds out that they're going to pay him way more than he's worth and decides to pay the same. You're saying no part of you would feel any resentment?
He's getting paid for not showing up is the bottom line. I love the Jazz but have a hard time supporting moves that Charlotte would make. We're better than that and not hurting at the SF/SG position. He doesn't deserve it.
I'm saying do another Golden State trade this year, there's good FA's next year - get one. Gordon is not a player you build your team around. I know the talk about his contract will be up when...I don't like the team going in the GH direction the next 3 years. It will ruin the direction the team should and will need to go when he bolts.

It's tough to compare our world to theirs and no I wouldn't feel slighted at all because that's kind of how things work. In my professional life I've always been the one that has sought the greener pastures. One of my coworkers still thinks it looks bad in my resume, but I make twice as much as him and have had way more opportunities to grow... E doesn't have the balls to "test free agency" which I think is silly.

I just wouldn't be concerned much with favors... They are probably friends... I'd be more pissed off if my company was too cheap to pay my friend and let him walk.

Uh, uh uh, I think you meant the last three seasons were spent not skipping steps. Because you can't re build from the bottom up unless you start at the bottom.

That's why I said "almost" wasted. DL acquired additional assets. Jazz have added two very good players to the team. And, when Hayward can't be resigned in 3 years, Jazz will have an additional draft pick to use.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/18/4854170/derrick-favors-contract-extension-utah-jazz
Favors' representatives and the Jazz have reportedly been working on a deal for several months and the two sides were able to come to an agreement less than two weeks before the Oct. 31 deadline. If Favors didn't sign an extension by the deadline, he would have become a restricted free agent next summer, and he could have commanded a deal worth $13 million per season, according to Wojnarowski
Seems like a discount. Not as much as I thought though.
Well, the estimate was $13M. Wojnarowski was just guessing on what the value MIGHT be for Derrick. But that was before the cap jumped $5M. A lot of teams gained extra space. I'll bet a similar figure would have been used in a story about Hayward had he been the one to sign an agreement.

It's tough to compare our world to theirs and no I wouldn't feel slighted at all because that's kind of how things work. In my professional life I've always been the one that has sought the greener pastures. One of my coworkers still thinks it looks bad in my resume, but I make twice as much as him and have had way more opportunities to grow... E doesn't have the balls to "test free agency" which I think is silly.

I just wouldn't be concerned much with favors... They are probably friends... I'd be more pissed off if my company was too cheap to pay my friend and let him walk.

I agree Favors most probably will be fine with it, but when you think the numbers it's really not fair indeed, regardless of how the things work. I mean $12M for Favors and $16M for Hayward, it's so wrong.

I would not be much comfortable with my boss paying %30 more than I get to a guy who brings similar usefulness(maybe even less) to the work.

I agree Favors most probably will be fine with it, but when you think the numbers it's really not fair indeed, regardless of how the things work. I mean $12M for Favors and $16M for Hayward, it's so wrong.

I would not be much comfortable with my boss paying %30 more than I get to a guy who brings similar usefulness(maybe even less) to the work.

That's why it's tough to compare... Most employers guard salary information so people don't really know. I don't think favors will feel slighted... He took the safe route. That's not GHs fault or jazz management. It may not be fair per se, bit biedrens made more than most on the team and everyone seemed okay with it... I know we didn't sign him but it doesn't change from the example above much.

Where this hurts us most, other than the dollars and flexibility, is with burks extension. That could be a tough negotiation.

That's why it's tough to compare... Most employers guard salary information so people don't really know. I don't think favors will feel slighted... He took the safe route. That's not GHs fault or jazz management. It may not be fair per se, bit biedrens made more than most on the team and everyone seemed okay with it... I know we didn't sign him but it doesn't change from the example above much.

Where this hurts us most, other than the dollars and flexibility, is with burks extension. That could be a tough negotiation.

Agreed about the gist, and the Burks part. Burks-like players are valuable as much as Haywards are in the NBA. Burks is almost-elite at going to the rim and he's decent at most of the things remaining, while he is also improving consistently.

I hope Hayward will at least pay for the dinners whenever he goes out with his teammates from now on. Though, given the stories I've heard before about him, it may be unlikely.

Agreed about the gist, and the Burks part. Burks-like players are valuable as much as Haywards are in the NBA. Burks is almost-elite at going to the rim and he's decent at most of the things remaining, while he is also improving consistently.

I hope Hayward will at least pay for the dinners whenever he goes out with his teammates from now on. Though, given the stories I've heard before about him, it may be unlikely.
$5 foot longs for everybody

I just read that Deng told Miami that he will take nothing less than $10 million to go to Miami and he wants $12m. Does anyone have DL phone number so they can reach Deng's agent.

Good bump... I'll wait for all the apologies from the Hayward haters and the people who said he is AK and told me I was an idiot.

Good bump. I was able to neg a terrible Hotttnickkk post that would have gone unpunished otherwise.

I still think we overpaid. But he is fun to watch from time to time, so I guess that is worth max. Or something.

I'm surprised the majority voted "Nope".

I know Hayward's level of improvement this season wasn't exactly predictable, but with the salary cap shooting upwards, Utah's lack of another NBA-calibur wing or shooter, and the fact that no big-name free agents would consider Utah, the cost (financial and opportunity) of keeping him wasn't bad.

I suspect there will be a lot of people who majored in Revisionist History chiming in as this thread re-starts....

Hopefully the Jazz can work a sign-and-trade. If not, there's really no point watching this team for the next 4 years.

And this was 2-3 pages in. Omg. lolol. Probably some srs pulitzer material locked up in this thread.