What's new

Positives to take away from game 1

We all knew who we were playing. The Spurs outexecuted us and showed why they are 4 time champions. BUT, I was impressed with Hayward and Favors. Hayward got to the line 10 times while Favors made some impressive defensive plays. Those blocks on Duncan and Ginobili where incredible. I think only a handful of players could have made those plays. We have a future all star and potential DPOY in Favors if he keeps working hard. Hayward, IMO, could be an all star one day too.

For game 2, I want to see a lot of Favors guarding Duncan. We all know Parker and Ginobili will dominate us, but if we can atleast neutralize Duncan, we should have a chance to keep the game fairly close. With some timely shots in the 4th, who knows maybe we can steal game 2 and make this an interesting series.

I think it's important to keep things in perspective. I was proud of how our young guys performed, especially for their first playoff game. With or without any picks, next year this team will be close to 50 wins, IMO. There are a few moves we need to make to become legit contenders (shooter, new pg), but overall I like where this team is headed.

Positives: the major Jazz weaknesses were highlighted for management. Very weak D by Big Al, Harris not a PG. Get over them and get rid of them.

Honestly, I thought we played alright. We had too many unforced turnovers (sloppy entry/perimeter passes all game long) and we need a lot more out of Harris.

The story of the series is simple, San Antonio is really damn good. Talented, deep, experienced. They played a very clean game - only 10 turnovers, shot the ball well, and we could not guard Parker.

My one gripe is the burn that Carroll is getting. I really want to see Hayward on the floor 40 minutes every game this series and Burks for at least 24.

To make this series competitive, we will need a 48 minute commitment to defense every night and establish our post scorers early and often offensively.

It could be an interesting experiment to put Big Al on Bonner or Diaw. Both of those players can take guys off the dribble though, so it may end up killing us, but it would be interesting and would allow Favors to stay in the paint.

The positives I saw included the following: We can get open shots on the Spurs defense. We rebounded well both offensively and defensively. Staying in front of Parker is next to impossible given the present day rules of palming and traveling....so the adjustment is to keep the ball away from him for as long as possible hoping when he does get it the 24 second clock will be down and he won't be able to execute the pick and roll with such efficiency! We need to grab more long rebounds as it seemed that the Spurs got just about every one both on offense and defense. We won't win a game in Texas, but we could get 1 maybe 2 games in Utah, if we make those adjustments!

It could be an interesting experiment to put Big Al on Bonner or Diaw. Both of those players can take guys off the dribble though, so it may end up killing us, but it would be interesting and would allow Favors to stay in the paint.

Al on Bonner means about 8 threes for him then. Positives would be we did not get beat by 30 and if Splitter is out they have no size after Duncan so we would really need to pound it inside every time in a half court set.

Yeah but favors must suck because almost the only way he can get over 30 minutes is if big Als family members start dropping like flies and he has more funerals to attend. I want to beleive in Corbin but the minutes distribution is killing me. How the **** is he keeping such a defensive presence like favors out almost half the game? And burks is going to score more than howard everytime he is on the floor

A positive for me was that Hayward, Burks and Favors did not appear intimidated. Thrown off their game a little yes but not intimidated.

Al on Bonner means about 8 threes for him then. Positives would be we did not get beat by 30 and if Splitter is out they have no size after Duncan so we would really need to pound it inside every time in a half court set.

The problem with pounding it down low is that they are doing a great job of ball denial in the post.

A positive for me was that Hayward, Burks and Favors did not appear intimidated. Thrown off their game a little yes but not intimidated.

Hayward didn't have his shot but he still found ways to put points on the board. That was something he coudn't even do in the regular season earlier this year.

Favors continued his solid basketball. Burks looked OK - definitely better than Howard. I hope he gets more than 10 minutes next game.

I've suspended judgement on Kanter because he's obviously playing on fumes right now. He hit the rookie wall weeks ago.