What's new

Possible Hint To KOC's Next Move

KOC on 700am today said that there will most likely be 4-5 signings, really quick. Then the rest of the summer should be quiet.

Whether thats rounding out the roster with training camp and dleague talent or another FA signing? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the rest of the league when he said that, not the Jazz. I'll be extremely surprised if we sign anyone to more than a minimum contract from here on out. Probably Fes, Evans, Yata, and Jeffers.

Lets say we hypothetically pickup Gortat. Ok, so for the first couple of months its a good pickup. Then Memo comes back, who gets minutes? We would be paying 12 million for a player who is hardly going to play.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the rest of the league when he said that, not the Jazz. I'll be extremely surprised if we sign anyone to more than a minimum contract from here on out. Probably Fes, Evans, Yata, and Jeffers.

No he was referring to the Jazz. Here's the interview:

https://www.kall700sports.com/audio/bill--spence

He says that rounding out the roster should happen pretty much all at once, then nothing for the rest of the summer.

I'll bet KOC is still listening, but after the Raja and AlJeff signings I don't see the Jazz going any further into the luxury tax.

Also, I really don't care if DW or anyone wants to bring Brew back, I hope the FO has realized their mistake and will never again attempt to play someone at shooting guard that has no reliable jumpshot.

Last edited:
I'll bet KOC is still listening, but after the Raja and AlJeff signings I don't see the Jazz going any further into the luxury tax.

Also, I really don't care if DW or anyone wants to bring Brew back, I hope the FO has realized their mistake and will not again try to play a player at shooting guard who has no jumpshot.

+Reputation.

Bulls fans are in for a rude awakening if that is indeed where he ends up.

I could see a deadline deal maybe. Like a 2% chance. They like long 3's who can shoot (AK can a little) some and play some 4 and they're big on defense. Plus AK's expiring. Perhaps they'd unload some mediocre contracts of about 14M to take on AK's 17M+. We'd get Gortat and others at 14M and save some money this year. They'd add LT this year but save a lot in the long run with AK expiring. Maybe Gortat and Bass for AK? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.

Can't see them doing much with Okur on the books. We are still going to have to outscore people for the time being.

Evans, Yata and Jeffers are already signed to non-guaranteed minimum-salary contracts. Fes is the only one unsigned, and we have a QO for him.

It also occured to me since my last post we don't need Gortat, not at $12M, if we sign Fes. We really only want a guy to come in for short stretches if we go with a frontline of AJ/Memo at C and Sap/AK at PF. Even if Gortat > Fes, the difference is not worth the difference in salary for the minutes available.

It seems the conservative move would be to fill the rest of the roster with the smallest contacts possible. Wait for Tomic to become available next season, he's not going to be cheap. You'll have AK off the books and possibly resigned on the cheap, Memo in the last year of his deal, and the core intact.

Hopefully and most importantly, at or under the tax.

Even if Gortat > Fes, the difference is not worth the difference in salary for the minutes available.

This.

The rest will probably be more conservative: Fes, Evans, Augustine.
And I like the idea previously mentioned of dropping Gaines in favor of Carlos Arroyo.

PG: Deron, Price ..... Arroyo
SG: Bell,
SF: CJ, Hayward ..... Evans
PF: Millsap, AK ...... Augustine
C : Jefferson, Memo ..... Fes

I really wanted Brewer. but it might be better for the Jazz to dump Yata and upgrade their backup PG.

And I like the idea previously mentioned of dropping Gaines in favor of Carlos Arroyo.

WHY?

If we were to sign Arroyo, not only would he be much more expensive than Gaines, but he wouldn't even play very many minutes. You want to spend veteran-type money for a guy who's hardly going to play? Seriously? It's not like a deal for someone like Shannon Brown, who can play multiple positions and give you different looks - Arroyo is a pure PG, and Deron is logging 40 of a possible 48 minutes at that position every night. So essentially you're proposing, even if you take Arroyo's low salary from last year, paying a guy nearly a million bucks to play eight minutes a game. And the player you're proposing we pay this $1 million to is the same guy who was a total prima donna prick the last time he was in Utah and still believes he should be a starting NBA point guard. Tell me again, WHY is a guy like that worth three times the money as someone like Gaines? And why he is worth the trouble?

Arroyo is a pure PG, and Deron is logging 40 of a possible 48 minutes at that position every night. So essentially you're proposing, even if you take Arroyo's low salary from last year, paying a guy nearly a million bucks to play eight minutes a game.

well part of the reason Deron has to play 40 mins is because he has sucky backups in the first place. I am not endorsing Arroyo here, but merely disagreeing with you if you say that a Gaines-like guy playing for peanuts is good enough for Deron just because Deron plays big mins away.
You think Chris Paul doesnt enjoy having a backup like Collison? 1mil is not a lot for a quality backup, especially at the important PG position.Deron has at several times in the past hinted about getting tired , playing with injuries, having to carry a load and all that. He is going to be banged up again by the end of the season. We can easily use an upgrade at backup PG.Someone who can play 10-12 mins at least and also be the starter if and when Deron misses games.

well part of the reason Deron has to play 40 mins is because he has sucky backups in the first place. I am not endorsing Arroyo here, but merely disagreeing with you if you say that a Gaines-like guy playing for peanuts is good enough for Deron just because Deron plays big mins away.
You think Chris Paul doesnt enjoy having a backup like Collison? 1mil is not a lot for a quality backup, especially at the important PG position.Deron has at several times in the past hinted about getting tired , playing with injuries, having to carry a load and all that. He is going to be banged up again by the end of the season. We can easily use an upgrade at backup PG.Someone who can play 10-12 mins at least and also be the starter if and when Deron misses games.
Chris Paul might "enjoy" having a backup, but I bet he "enjoys" playing lots of minutes, too--ironically more than Deron does. Backups help W's but don't help the higher-string players' playing time, so it's a mixed blessing for starters.

It would be great to get a quality PG for the vet minimum.

I don't see Arroyo returning to the Jazz to play for Sloan--nor to battle for second string. Besides, his defense isn't great. Can Utah get a backup who can log a few assists and not get beaten off the dribble?