What's new

Poythress?

idiot

Locke mentioned that Alex Poythress could be a consideration for a 3/4 player if nothing else works out (I prefer Mhbah A Moute myself, though his age isn't very helpful for the Jazz). From what I've read, Poythress was a D-League all-star last year, managed 40% on 3s, though on less than 2 attempts per game. His performance in summer league this year has at least been consistently solid it seems, but hasn't been a breakout performance. So it sounds like he's got some slow improvement going in his game.

Maybe with Rubio around, his combination of strong rim finishing, improving outside shot, and at least potential defensive versatility can help make up for his relative lack of creation ability and BBIQ?

Anyway, as a 13th-15th roster spot, he seems to perhaps be worth taking a flyer on. It looks like he's an RFA with Philly, but they seem to have 3-5 players on their roster beyond the 15-man limit (depending on how you count), so maybe he's obtainable.

Thoughts?

I was also wondering about his status. It sounded like he played okay for Philly to end the season. But Philly may be wanting to keep him one more year (i don't know his contract status)because rumour is they are asking Bolden to go back to Australia for a season

I wish I knew what Lindsey was trying to do moving forward.

Maybe? I think the Jazz are looking for a veteran 3/4 though. Someone who can step in immediately and either start or be a backup option to Jingles/Favs at 3/4 as a rotation player.

I was also wondering about his status. It sounded like he played okay for Philly to end the season. But Philly may be wanting to keep him one more year (i don't know his contract status)because rumour is they are asking Bolden to go back to Australia for a season.

From what I've seen poking around on Liberty Ballers, it looks like they don't have much room in the 15-man roster, though there have been many suggestions to carry him along as a 2-way contract. If the Jazz wanted him, they'd likely be able to beat that.

Maybe? I think the Jazz are looking for a veteran 3/4 though. Someone who can step in immediately and either start or be a backup option to Jingles/Favs at 3/4 as a rotation player.

Yeah, that's why I prefer Mbah A Moute, though I don't know if the price he'd come at makes sense for the Jazz.

I watched him play and was impressed by him... can't remember which Sumer league is was. On a minimum deal sure. We need to find the next Jae Crowder... not give up a ton of assets to get the actual Jae Crowder.

I watched him play and was impressed by him... can't remember which Sumer league is was. On a minimum deal sure. We need to find the next Jae Crowder... not give up a ton of assets to get the actual Jae Crowder.

DX's profile says he's Corey Crowder's godson and Jae Crowder's godbrother. :eek:

DX's profile says he's Corey Crowder's godson and Jae Crowder's godbrother. :eek:

Wut?

I think he could operate as a small ball 4 if his shooting has improved.

Dr.Jones should give us da scoop here.

I think he's really intriguing. He had some good D league numbers and he's athletic. Hes certainly got tools.

I kind of expect the Jazz to cut Diaw, sign a guy like Reed or Dedmon to a 1 year deal, then add 1 or 2 guys like Poythress on deals that aren't fully guaranteed past a year

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I always thought he couldn't shoot... apparently he can. He's as good of a 3/4 prospect as any imo. Bring him in on the Hinkie special 4 year minimum deal but unguaranteed past this year.

I was also wondering about his status. It sounded like he played okay for Philly to end the season. But Philly may be wanting to keep him one more year (i don't know his contract status)because rumour is they are asking Bolden to go back to Australia for a season

I wish I knew what Lindsey was trying to do moving forward.

Bolden is contracted to Red Star in Serbia for the next two years but has an NBA opt out clause.

I like what I saw during summer league. I wasn't that impressed with him at Kentucky but it seems like he has worked on his game. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot but he is RFA so I don't think it will happen.

I kind of expect the Jazz to cut Diaw, sign a guy like Reed or Dedmon to a 1 year deal, then add 1 or 2 guys like Poythress on deals that aren't fully guaranteed past a year

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app
Not when they are below the cap, and he's french. They still play the "friend" card with players they want if they can get away with it.
Diaw is not a bad guy to have around and can teach something.

Not when they are below the cap, and he's french. They still play the "friend" card with players they want if they can get away with it.

They can cut him and re-sign him if they'd like... $7.5 is a bit much.

If they want to sign a good backup center to a 1 year deal (I think that would be optimal as it gives Bradley a year then he can play the primary back-up role for the next 3 years) then they have to. You can get a good backup like Willie Reed or Dwayne Dedmon on a 1 year/7 million dea.

PKM would tell you that he has a lot of talent but would rather fit in. Thus, I've always viewed Poythress as an under-the-radar NBA talent, one of the odd ones where you get similar contribution at lower and higher levels.

Sure anything. I'd just like us to start being a little proactive in this respect. We need somebody to back up Ingles at least. We're paying too much for Diaw and I'm not convinced about Bolomboy either.