What's new

Predict Gordon Hayward's contract structure thread

Decent, but it wasn't like he was a defensive beast/shot-blocker or had an offensive explosion. In many ways, you could argue Hayward's numbers were comparable, adjusted for their positions. If I were Gordon's agent, I would definitely bring Favors' stats and new contract into the discussion as ammo for justifying the same contract terms for Hayward.

Sounded like your expectations were pretty high. I don't think Hayward's numbers and his are very comparable either. Plus big guys always get the extra cash. So I would say a 10 million contract for Hayward is comparable to Favors 12 million contract.

I doubt he gets a contract => Favors. Bigs always get paid more. On the other hand, since Derrick had an underwhelming season, Hayward's agents have more ammunition to demand at least equal pay.

It's very likely he'll get more than Favors somewhere. And Lindsey may match, well see. The problem is, a player who doesn't stand up for himself shouldn't be the highest paid player on an already soft team. The softness is an issue that if Hayward is signed to big money here, most top rookies will not help overcome. Aaron Gordon would be the guy who this team could benefit from the most and you wouldn't want to draft him in the top 3. Even though Hayward has a very good all around game, signing him to top money brings the wrong kind of leadership that we desperately need.

Sounded like your expectations were pretty high. I don't think Hayward's numbers and his are very comparable either. Plus big guys always get the extra cash. So I would say a 10 million contract for Hayward is comparable to Favors 12 million contract.
Not really. But Favors didn't show much fire on defense. IMO, he was pretty soft. He made some progression on offense. Just didn't do anything to stand out most nights. And that's why I'm saying Hayward could ask for similar money. Hayward led the team in scoring; he was the playmaker. Favors? His forte is supposedly defense and he led the team to 30th place.

Honestly those quality of players is not good enough. Look at what the Celtics did a few years ago when they got Garnett and Ray Allen. They traded young assets to get stars. I'd like to see the Jazz explore that avenue.

Amen. I've been preaching the Boston model since the lockout. I still get ill when I think of what Utah likely lost by not starting their rebuild then. Oh well, what's done is done, but I still believe the best answer is stockpiling assets, keeping the cream(ideally, if possible) and trading the rest when a true opportunity presents itself. I think you're dead-on with Hayward. I'd rather package him with a pick in a trade, than gamble on giving him a big contract.