What's new

propose a trade: how do we get a stretch big?

Willie

It's become clear to me that we'd be magnificently aided by a legitimate stretch big. Our team is rebuilding a winning tradition NOW, and no other piece would help us more than that one; it would make everybody's job easier. (Kanter is not that guy... at least not this year). Booker has shown me something, but I think he's best as a good bench guy. We've also got a good stockpile of assets to go get someone.

Who's out there? What would it take to get him?

I appreciate your creativity.

Millsap, Sign him as a FA this summer.
Jazz aren't going to contend this year. Unless there's a deal that absolutely blows them away, there's no reason to give up a ton of assets. They'll likely have a top-10 pick which could also net them a PF.

I'm 95% convinced the Jazz have their wing rotation set in Hayward, Hood and Burks. Only ? is if Alec can be re-signed at a reasonable price.
I'm 100% certain the Jazz have their 5 set in Favors and Gobert.
I'm 50% sold on Exum and Burke at PG. Dante is still a young unknown and Trey needs to prove his shooting is fixed and he can be an adequate defender.
I'm happy with Booker as a backup PF; hope he will consider staying. Don't have much hope for Enes, but maybe he surprises. So we throw all our picks at the position, try to trade up, trade for a veteran, etc.

Trade for Al Horford. Kanter + Next year's first + Golden State's 2017 first. Or alternatively, if you want to wait for several more years before being a contender - make anything possible to get Towns(Kanter+picks to assure we get Towns).

Start Booker, wait for Durant.

Edit: Sign Millsap, still wait for Durant.

Last edited:
Millsap, Sign him as a FA this summer.
Jazz aren't going to contend this year. Unless there's a deal that absolutely blows them away, there's no reason to give up a ton of assets. They'll likely have a top-10 pick which could also net them a PF.

I'm 95% convinced the Jazz have their wing rotation set in Hayward, Hood and Burks. Only ? is if Alec can be re-signed at a reasonable price.
I'm 100% certain the Jazz have their 5 set in Favors and Gobert.
I'm 50% sold on Exum and Burke at PG. Dante is still a young unknown and Trey needs to prove his shooting is fixed and he can be an adequate defender.
I'm happy with Booker as a backup PF; hope he will consider staying. Don't have much hope for Enes, but maybe he surprises. So we throw all our picks at the position, try to trade up, trade for a veteran, etc.

This. We talked about this last week in Cy's thread - Millsap will become a FA - just get Quin to talk to him and SIGN HIM.

Trade for Al Horford. Kanter + Next year's first + Golden State's 2017 first. Or alternatively, if you want to wait for several more years before being a contender - make anything possible to get Towns(Kanter+picks to assure we get Towns).
Probably the best trade scenario, but Atlanta likely wants a couple of good players for AL, not an expiring and two unknowns. Perhaps Lindsey can say, "give us Al and we won't go after Millsap or DeMarre. Don't make the trade and Quin and I will be calling both at 12:00:001 EDT on July 1st."

Probably the best trade scenario, but Atlanta likely wants a couple of good players for AL, not an expiring and two unknowns. Perhaps Lindsey can say, "give us Al and we won't go after Millsap or DeMarre. Don't make the trade and Quin and I will be calling both at 12:00:001 EDT on July 1st."

It can be a sign and trade if they are worried about Kanter's expiring contract. The biggest problem is that Horford's contract expires in 2 years time too... So we might be screwed if he decides he doesn't want to stay after.

I wish DL could pull off a trade and get Ryan Anderson he would be perfect in Snyders offense.

Nah, I don't think we need someone who is that good at shooting as much as we need someone who is an athlete who can also shoot.

Booker fits in better with our core than Millsap, who will be on the wrong side of 30 next time we can sign him.
I'd roll the dice Booker can hit the three consistently by next year rather than resigning Sap.

I might find some way to trade for Steve Novak.

I hear he's good at the 3 ball, and we can get him for cheap without ruining the progression of our young starters.

To be honest, I think it's more important to acquire a legitimate #1 option / All Star player to round out the Core group of players. It doesn't really matter what position he plays.

Absolutely keep Rudy Gobert, Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Dante Exum and Trey Burke for sure. Try to keep Alec Burks if at all possible. Trade Enes Kanter, a boatload of draft picks (unprotected if you have to) and take back salary if you must.

Ideally, it's someone young enough to grow with the young core players already on the roster. The first two guys that I'd target are Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. One of those two would be a perfect fit for what the Jazz need right now. That's the kind of deal they should be looking at making. In all honesty, I wish the Jazz would have traded for Jeremy Lin instead of Steve Novak so they could have had even one more 1st round pick to throw into the mix.

To be honest, I think it's more important to acquire a legitimate #1 option / All Star player to round out the Core group of players. It doesn't really matter what position he plays.

Absolutely keep Rudy Gobert, Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Dante Exum and Trey Burke for sure. Try to keep Alec Burks if at all possible. Trade Enes Kanter, a boatload of draft picks (unprotected if you have to) and take back salary if you must.

Ideally, it's someone young enough to grow with the young core players already on the roster. The first two guys that I'd target are Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. One of those two would be a perfect fit for what the Jazz need right now. That's the kind of deal they should be looking at making. In all honesty, I wish the Jazz would have traded for Jeremy Lin instead of Steve Novak so they could have had even one more 1st round pick to throw into the mix.

I think he was talking about realistic trades. Wiggins or Parker are not coming to the Jazz. I can't believe how people have turned on Kanter so quickly. It is the preseason and did everyone forget how well Kanter played last year down the stretch. It is way too early to be talking about trading guys. Let everyone learn the system and see what happens. A little patience goes a long way and right now the Jazz are not going to get anything for Kanter so lets see if Kanter can find his game.

I think he was talking about realistic trades. Wiggins or Parker are not coming to the Jazz. I can't believe how people have turned on Kanter so quickly. It is the preseason and did everyone forget how well Kanter played last year down the stretch. It is way too early to be talking about trading guys. Let everyone learn the system and see what happens. A little patience goes a long way and right now the Jazz are not going to get anything for Kanter so lets see if Kanter can find his game.

I can actually see Kanter getting traded by the deadline. The alternative is him going to the market and the possibility of us letting him walk with nothing in return. Jazz won't want to match what he may get offered with the guys we got coming up behind him.

A. I'm a big fan of Enes Kanter. I agree that we should let it play out to see how he actually does in the system before the Jazz look to move on. I think that he'll be good, but not great. I definitely think that he'll end up being the most valuable asset at the trade deadline if they try to make a big move. Of all the young core guys, he's the guy who seems to fit the least. His injuries and struggles make me very concerned to see them invest big money for a long term deal - which is highly likely next offseason. If they can get great value for him, then they should look at all options.

B. Granted, Wiggins or Parker is a pipe dream. But that's assuming that both the Bucks and the T-Wolves are committed to rebuilding around their young stars and wouldn't be willing to give them up. I actually think that Wiggins isn't as coveted by the T-Wolves as much as people think. He wasn't drafted by them and Flip Saunders doesn't really seem too interested in a total rebuild. If the Jazz can put together the right kind of package, I think they would at least consider it. Especially if Kanter plays well. The Jazz have draft picks and a little bit of cap space to burn. They might as well try. The worst case scenario is that they say no and the Jazz let him play out the season then set his value on the open market like Hayward did.