What's new

Quin Snyder Interview - 1280 the zone Oct 23

Harcher

Quin Snyder Interview on 1280 today was very informative. He’s quite open. Here is the link:
https://1280thezone.com/index.php/story/read/the_big_show_utah_jazz_head_coach_quin_snyder
Here is my quick transcript:
In Atlanta, they ran a version of the spurs but modified that fit the players

Teaching: Sometimes in a game there is a teachable moment, sometimes it’s best not to say anything. If a player knows they made a mistake, is best to help them understand why they are making a mistake and not just getting mad.

Advantages of Playing Fast: Easy baskets. Fast Break with more offensive players than defensive. Or this allows you to attack a defense that is not set. pulling the ball back out and setting it up puts more pressure on being good at execution.
............Harcher comments: This correlates to the Stockton and Malone era with Sloan who was very centered on execution as the core element to winning. This is reasonable given he had two of the best and most disciplined players of all time. But also, I think Stock/Malone era the Jazz ran quite a bit and we forget that. Karl was 2nd to none as a big man running the floor. See above about his believe in “adapting to the players strengths”

“Building a Wall” in transition Defense: Sort of a zone in transition defense – don’t search out “your man” but rather set up a wall of players.

All Stars: he noted there are “elite of the elite” players and there “all star players” and maybe some of the players we have: Derrick, Gordon could grow to become all stars. Also, he mentioned Alec as well. It all depends on how hard they work. We want to set up a culture that will grow them.

What stood out as a pleasant surprise in taking the job: watching them in pick up ball, and then in practice there was a real commitment to mundane and details. Some players don’t see the connection between details and winning. They are a teachable group. Maybe improve more quickly. They absorb and improve and adapt…

What’s reality with “not Skipping Steps” (DL rebuild theory): big deal in trying to keep team members spirits up when losing. A losing streak can take its toll. Feels personal. You need an amazing amount a resilience. Go back and Work harder and smarter. Often times that work doesn’t translate immediately. Even more perseverance needed. Quin will need to set the example of perseverance.

Quin Snyder Interview on 1280 today was very informative. He’s quite open. Here is the link:
https://1280thezone.com/index.php/story/read/the_big_show_utah_jazz_head_coach_quin_snyder
Here is my quick transcript:
In Atlanta, they ran a version of the spurs but modified that fit the players

Teaching: Sometimes in a game there is a teachable moment, sometimes it’s best not to say anything. If a player knows they made a mistake, is best to help them understand why they are making a mistake and not just getting mad.

Advantages of Playing Fast: Easy baskets. Fast Break with more offensive players than defensive. Or this allows you to attack a defense that is not set. pulling the ball back out and setting it up puts more pressure on being good at execution.
............Harcher comments: This correlates to the Stockton and Malone era with Sloan who was very centered on execution as the core element to winning. This is reasonable given he had two of the best and most disciplined players of all time. But also, I think Stock/Malone era the Jazz ran quite a bit and we forget that. Karl was 2nd to none as a big man running the floor. See above about his believe in “adapting to the players strengths”

“Building a Wall” in transition Defense: Sort of a zone in transition defense – don’t search out “your man” but rather set up a wall of players.

All Stars: he noted there are “elite of the elite” players and there “all star players” and maybe some of the players we have: Derrick, Gordon could grow to become all stars. Also, he mentioned Alec as well. It all depends on how hard they work. We want to set up a culture that will grow them.

What stood out as a pleasant surprise in taking the job: watching them in pick up ball, and then in practice there was a real commitment to mundane and details. Some players don’t see the connection between details and winning. They are a teachable group. Maybe improve more quickly. They absorb and improve and adapt…

What’s reality with “not Skipping Steps” (DL rebuild theory): big deal in trying to keep team members spirits up when losing. A losing streak can take its toll. Feels personal. You need an amazing amount a resilience. Go back and Work harder and smarter. Often times that work doesn’t translate immediately. Even more perseverance needed. Quin will need to set the example of perseverance.

Slight mod: Karl Malone might have been 2nd to none as a big man running but he was 2nd to John Stockton at running. I don't recall a single time Stockton missed one of those pull up free throw line jumpers, among other things.

Anyway, I love QS Hair's openness in interviews. It's so refreshing after Corbin's always closed and defensive stance. Sloan was the same way as QSH when asked questions.

Slight mod: Karl Malone might have been 2nd to none as a big man running but he was 2nd to John Stockton at running. I don't recall a single time Stockton missed one of those pull up free throw line jumpers, among other things.

Anyway, I love QS Hair's openness in interviews. It's so refreshing after Corbin's always closed and defensive stance. Sloan was the same way as QSH when asked questions.

Why thank you.

Quin is short on the clichés and long on theory. That's cool as long as it translates and shows on the floor. So far he seems like a great fit for a young core of players. Looking forward to seeing how they grow together. DL seems to have put together a group that is made for one another.

I am a little irritated that he didnt mention enes' name on the all star candidates. Is it because he doesnt think enes will be that good or is it because he knows enes has no future with the jazz?

Hopefully its the first and enes can prove him wrong...

By listening to the interview I'm even more thrilled about coach Q. His praise for addressing individual issues individually, that's very telling. He comes through as a player's coach, meaning that he cares for the mental well being of each one of the players, which will eventually translate into good team chemistry, a key element to success in my view.

This is why I'm still not giving up on any of the players we had hopes on yet, Kanter being the 1st one that comes to my head. Coach Q will work Kanter's head like the psychological guru he is and we'll all see what he really is all about.