What's new

Quotes from around the league after the Wolves-"No one thinks Kessler is going to be ROY. He's at least third behind Paolo and Ben Simmons"

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Post Game

If only we could’ve had a guy like Kessler

This is what happens when you trade for a top 40 player like he’s a top 10 player

Love how the new GM had to blow up a good thing because of his ego and try to put his stamp on the team.

We were a young team on the come up... Now we're a mess.

Can we punt Connolly to the moon yet. That was depressing watching Kessler look better than Rudy has at any point this season.

Good defense 4th quarter! 15/19 shots Utah. Well done wolves

Lead most of the game then decided to be clowns

Walker Kessler looks like exactly what last years Timberwolves needed in the playoffs. And we decided to trade him away and blow last years team up.

It’s not the players, it’s Chris Finch. Every time a player is hot he sits them. His rotation is super suspect. DLo rollin… sits him. Ant rollin… sits him. Garza rollin… sits him… smh. Not to mention how he’s riding players in fouls trouble.

GM needs to go. Traded all those players to the Jazz and you can’t beat them.

That’s what you get when you don’t give important to your first round picks. You will end up regretting it. The GM drafted what they needed for years and just ended trading it right away without giving him a chance to play and see if he will fit.

Former Wolves: 45 points, 33 boards, 10 assists. Gobert plays 5 minutes. Not to mention the picks. Has to be the arguably worst trade in NBA history. How can Connelly cash his checks in good conscience?

Lost to our former 1st round pick Kessler

How can you trade a player to come back to defeat you. This means the trade was bad trade.

That #24 for the Jazz would sure look good in a Wolves uni.

Even though they only made 1 of the technical foul shots, it irks me that we lose our cool so quickly. Love Ant, but tired of him not even running down the court after he thinks he’s fouled.

That Gobert trade starting to look like the Herschel Walker trade.

Any idea how we can trade for this Kessler guy?

What happened to the defence in the 4th right there. The jazz were makeing easy shots and were just pulling them down. Also an inexcusable foul right there by Austin rivers. Tough loss but thankfully the race is super tight in the west right now. Still a long way to go. But I can tell the jazz are winning this gobert trade.

Nice to know that we traded away our future for an inferior version of Walker Kessler.

If kessler is a wolf now, he'll be in the gleague. Minny kind of devt.

Didn’t need Walker. A guy that moves well, passes well, plays defense, scores fine and is inexpensive. Nice trade Timmy.

This is just comical the irony of the trade

Danny Ainge of the Jazz screwed the Wolves over on the trade for Gobert last year!! The Wolves were supposed to be a top contending team this year with the addition on Gobert!! I see the Jazz are currently ahead of the Wolves. And the Jazz have all those future draft picks too!!

And we drafted Kessler ...

Kessler basically Rudy

Would much rather still have vando and Kessler than Rudy and all we gave up

What would’ve made it better was if Kessler was on our team.

20 points and 21 rebounds for Kessler. Worst trade ever

Wolves will have turned Utah into a dynasty within two years….

Are you kidding me? Great battle??? 15/18 for Utah in the 4th Q. There was no battle at all!!!

Can we trade for Walker Kessler?

Walker Kessler just casually has a 20-20 game

My heart can’t take anymore. The #Vikings **** the bed yesterday now you lose today

we really just lost to the utah Timberwolves

Walker Kessler is already better than Gobert and he's on a rookie contract.

Tim Connelly should be ashamed of himself

This game should show how important Gobert is, not how good Kessler is. Kessler feasted on our small bigs and wasnt exposed by Naz stretching him to the perimeter.

Priceless watching us get destroyed by our own pick. Thanks Tim Connelly.

Lmao a walker kessler 20/20 game is yet another slap in the face of MN sports fans.

If only we didn’t trade away walker kessler for gobert, we would have won.

“Trade Rudy” Rudy doesn’t play and we get eaten alive inside and can’t grab a single board. But he’s the problem right?

Get this franchise out of MN. North Daktota deserves one more than MN.

Bro i saw the match in the app of scores and we were winning, i come back to see the result and i see that we lost by 1 omggggg

2nd time the Wolves should have beat the Jazz easily and let them win.

Walker kessler owned us....that's awkward and embarrassing

Team sucks. The end

Fire Gobert and Connolly into the ****ing sun

Vikings and Timberwolves want us to die

Jazz music

Omg kessler is a real baller

Dont show a pic of that clown kessler hooped his *** up today

Stupid technical fouls cost us the game again & Gobert is officially the softest player of all time in my opinion. You would think he would do whatever to play in this game.. Walker can do so much more than RG..

This ****ing team is never going to be consistent. Ever. All they'll ever be is consistently inconsistent. Win 3 games lose 5 win 4 lose 6. You can't make this **** up

This team is a bunch of soft pansies who are afraid to get a rebound. That display of getting outplayed by the player the Timberwolves traded away for is leaps and bounds better. This team is a ****ing joke

POVERTY AS ****ITY ****

Useless team, how the hell do you lose to a team without Lauri Markannen, nonsense

Gobert takes the opening tip off and then hits the shower after five, wtf. Also why the **** is McDaniels taking that last shot.

kessler with the monster game. but let's remember - we have no size against him. if rudy was healthy and playing, i assure you kessler would not be putting up a 20/21 line. still.... where the hell is mlhouse? all i heard from him prior to the draft was what a stiff kessler was and how all he'd do would be foul and how his game wouldnn't translate. oddly absent from this discussion, isn't he?

They play with heart. Something the wolves dont do. And i envy.

you can point to a lot of things. jazz hit their first 12 shots. on the next two they missed only to get the offensive board and put it back in. then horton pointed out that they gave the jazz two free points with the technical fouls.

jazz scored on 17 of their 24 possessions in the 4th quarter. 15-19 shooting.

and again. what happens to Dlo in these games? he's like the guy that burns thru the work in his in-basket by 10 am and then spends the rest of the day chatting with people at the watercooler. the overall line looks good - 21/1/7 on 6 of 11 shooting, 3 threes and all 6 of his FTs. but he got most of it in the first quarter - 13 points on 3 of 5 shooting, a rebound and two assists. for the remaining 3 quarters, he scored 7 points and had 5 more assists. like i told Son of Yum after the first quarter ended - i expect Dlo to not score more than 23 points. (he finished with 21). he works for awhile - and then, that's it. with all the plus 40 games in the league this season - even with 13 first quarter points, i give Dlo a 0% chance of hitting 40 for the game. incapable of playing well for an entire game. can not do it. and on games when Rudy leaves early - and KAT is in the whirlpool - you should expect your ****ing $30M PG to grit it out OCCASIONALLY and lead your team to a win against an inferior opponent. can not do it.

As much as i was uninterested in Wiggins the last 2 years here, they literally traded for one of the few players i truly hated in the league. To me it is still worse than the Gobert trade. At least Gobert tries. He might not be playing up to par so far. Call it fitment issues. Call it aging up. Call it whatever you want. But DLO just kills my enthusiasm for this team like no other.

I had no issue with the last shot.

They blew the game with turnstile defense the whole 4th.

Did the Wolves throw it short of the sticks on that last play?

Look man, there is no way in hell Kessler goes of like that if either Rudy or KAT is in the lane with him the whole game. Naz Reid, Nate Knight, and Luka Garza and not legitimate NBA post-presences. Those are just the facts.

I think we were 1 or 2 point faves going in, so well done NBA officiating crew. YOU DID IT!!! Nice job. Extra fat "bonuses" coming for each of you at the end of the month...

Reffing aside, and it was egregiously bad (why are the Jazz the darlings of officials? They got handed a W against the Magic a few nights ago too), you cannot give up 74 second half points on you home court. to a Jazz team missing their leading scorer.

Yeah, it's not like we're missing like $80 million in salary cap space tonight or anything........

At least we know Connelly can draft

Rudy plays and the Wolves win. And Kessler doesn't have those stats.

Utah probably has the best coach in the league, top 5 for certain. These players are put in such a comfortable position to play to the best of their ability... Spacing is perfect, they rarely take more than two dribbles except when they need a bail out isolation, their transitions are quite fluid even when Kessler is in the lineup. Their roster kind of sucks but they sure make the best of it.

Want a laugh? Go look at Walker Kessler's splits as a starter this season, look at Rudy Gobert's numbers on the season, then look at their contracts.

HILARIOUS how ya'll keep trying to downplay his performance because of Gobert (and the other monstrous defensive anchor...Towns) weren't playing...as if the kid hasn't been playing well all season. Hold his season numbers up next to Gobert's and tell me there's a $35M difference in performance...I dare you lol.

I was desperate to find some kind of bright side, and this is the best I could come up with:

“Fortunately we won’t run into the type of team we lose to in the Playoffs!”

I am so upset with Tim Connelly​

How do you trade all your assets a month into the job and get WORKED in the deal so hard?

Class action lawsuit from the fans would be justified.

I’d rather have Kessler than gobert right now. The fact that that can be argued for is enough to be pissed off

At this point I’d trade Rudy for Kessler straight up , and Utah probably wouldn’t do it

Rookie deal, 11 years younger, more agile, decent post moves, and frankly a better fit in every sense of the word with our team.

It’s really failure of epic proportions , but fitting for this team.

I mean y’all need to stop pretending that everyone saw Kessler being this good. A ton of teams did not draft the guy.

I fail to see your point here. Kessler is good. Very good. We drafted him and had him on the roster. Then we traded him alongside four other FRPs and 3 rotational players for a supermax guy that is maybe 15-20% better.

It's a colossal **** up no matter how you spin it. Stop defending bad trades, stop defending bad GMs, and accept that TC has no idea what he's doing.

All GMs are going after a center this good, unless there’s a generational talent ahead of him. Nobody knew Kessler was going to be this good, even myself who was very high on him when we drafted him.

He was literally the 4th ranked center of the draft… y’all acting like he was projected in the second round. It went Chet Duren Williams Kessler…

He looks to be way better than duren and williams this season, while Chet is a big maybe. If GMs knew Kessler was gonna look like this his first season, he’d have been a lottery pick. Rudy would’ve been a #1-2 pick in his rookie season if GMs could read the future.

He looks to be way better than duren and williams this season, while Chet is a big maybe. If GMs knew Kessler was gonna look like this his first season, he’d have been a lottery pick. Rudy would’ve been a #1-2 pick in his rookie season if GMs could read the future.

Walker Kessler 20/20 game hurts my soul

That trade would have been far less painful if it weren’t for Kessler.

****ing Clarkson just throws his head back and gets the call it’s so god damn annoying how often it plays out like that for the Wolves

Between the Kessler 20-20 game, BS ending, and Vikings losing the way they did yesterday I am so in the mud rn.

Hey don't be down, at least we get to return to work tomorrow!

Kessler is such a stud. Connelly really knows how to draft em.

We don't just lose in Minnesota, we lose and also do things to make us the laughing stock of the sporting world.

How do you lose to that team being up 10 in the fourth

Walker Kessler was unstoppable, because of course

Utah started last quarter 12/12 from the field, missed next 2 shots to get them rebounded by Kessler and put back because Naz Reid was nowhere. Kessler had zero sets running for him, only putbacks, got 20 points, while Rudy Gobert gets 1 shot per game unless you involve him in actions. Also Rudy will never get 10 O boards

Why do I even watch the NBA? So many games ruined by ******** calls. Game was fine without their intervention.

To be fair, I dont know if Kessler will ever get a better matchup in his NBA career. His only competition was a C that cant defend or rebound, and 2 G leaguers.

Why is every franchise in this state an embarrassment?

Where’s the line to say “**** Tim Conley”‽

Walker Kessler is a ****ing stud. I really wish we could have drafted him to put next to Kat.

Could you imagine watching your football team get eliminated from the playoffs and then the day after watch your basketball team miss a wide open three to win the game? Couldn't be me (it was me).

****ing waste of time watching this godawful team

Boils my blood to see Kessler, Vando, Beasley contribute to a win and our guy is doing nothing Good god it's just acidic. The worst **** ever.

My god, Kessler is so good.

If we had Walker Kessler, Vando, Beasley and Pat Bev on our team I feel like we would’ve definitely won that game

Refs weren't great this game, but hard to beat a team that doesn't miss a shot for 3/4 of the 4th quarter.

I know it’s just a game but the Gobert trade makes me so physically sick. Tim Connelly should be fired off that move alone. People that point to rivers and Anderson just don’t get it. We gave up so ****ing much and Kessler is arguably going to be better in a years time.

Kessler was the perfect draft choice for this squad. It made so much sense. Damn I watched a ton of film on him and this seemed possible.

Utah was in a layup line the entire second half. Perimeter defense was horrid as usual with Nowell and DLo waving their guys to the basket every trip down the floor. The Wolves "high wall" D or whatever they call it conceded either a layup or wide-open 3 every freaking possession. Every one. The one guy that actually can defend did not sniff the court in the 4th until the last play of the game. Brilliant coaching. FYI this game is Exhibit A for what the Wolves look like defensively without Gobert.

We only had 5 turnovers! And we forced 18! That's amazing. Huge progress in that part of the game

56-46 on rebounds sucks but it's not like absolutely disastrous. It was the freaking fouls :( 20-12

Rudy was the Stifle tower but damn Walker Kessler might as well be Isengard

Kessler >>> Gobert. They are running zero sets for him and he has 6/11/2 and 2 blocks in the half, Wolves cannot get **** in the paint, only 11/28. In last 2 minutes he stopped Naz in the paint, shot Naz scores 9/10 times, and Ant without fouling. HE HAS ZERO FOULS AT THE HALF. He is also faster to run transition D than Gobert, he also gets more O boards and put backs after bricks by Clarkson and Beasley.

Quotes from around the league

honestly watching kessler all season I think the wolves just traded young ffresh gobert for old aged gobert.

Kessler with the first Rookie 20/20 since 2014, what a boss!

i had walker as the best center in that draft. i’m looking pretty correct right now. you don’t pass up a center that got a triple double with blocks in college. war eagle

Jazz skipped a rebuild and just got a **** ton of young talent in one offseason lol. Him, Ochai, Markkanen, Sexton, NAW, and even THT are looking like a solid foundation for a competitive team

Not to mention whatever assets they get from trading Mike Conley, Malik Beasley and Kelly Olynyk.

Bunch of capspace, loaded first rd picks, high upside players, balanced roster.

How the hell do you have this kid in your gym and not realize you have 70% of Gobert at 21 yrs old making like 7% of his salary, and then proceed to trade his *** for Gobert?

I still can't believe how badly the Jazz ripped off the Wolves

We are trolled daily about the trade, even though we had nothing to do with it. Never fun being a Wolves fan lol

Walker Kessler is so nice man.

Also a Jazz one-possession win? They’re allowed to do that?

Rudy for Kessler + a million picks is the new PG for Shai + a million picks

Walker Kessler played this game as if Tim Connelly personally assassinated MLK.

Walker Kessler played this game like a kid hyped up on red bull and monster destroying old men with jobs in COD lobbies

Just hang up whenever you see Danny ainge on caller id

He's Mormon so he knows how to walk up to people and cold call them

Take the call and build around the dude he's asking.

I feel bad for the suckers calling for Conley, clarkson, and Vanderbilt

The man had to “retire” and change franchises just to get people to deal with him. Even then it took a team with new owners, and boom. Ruined the trade market lol

You just know there’s some of the most egregious trades ever sitting in GMs inbox like… Conley for Fox is out there. Clarkson for Brown. Vando for Anthony Davis. All these bombs are out there for one sucker to explode

God I was wanting Clarkson for my Mavs but we'd get fleeced to high hell by Danny.

It doesn’t help. If you make him unhappy, he’ll take your second round picks, too.

It's still Paolo, but Walker is leading rookies in the impact metrics due to his defense. Incredible get by Utah to find the Rudy replacement immediately.

No one thinks Kessler is going to be ROY. He's at least third behind Paolo and Ben Simmons.

Also hilarious that the same city (Vikings this time) that gutted its team for Herschel Walker and propelled the Cowboys 90s run had another team say “yeah let’s do the same thing, but for a worse player”

Just laughing through the pain at this moment.

The first rookie with a 20/20 game on 65 FG% since Alonzo Mourning.

Danny Ainge should be in jail for fleecing the Timberwolves

I cannot stress enough how humiliating it is as a Wolves fan for Kessler to be this good.

He's already like, 70% of the player prime Rudy is (or was). And he was a ****ing throw-in.

Twolves should trade Gobert along with a couple 2nd picks for Kessler.

The hell Ainge did to the wolves

At least we know Connelly can draft
Which is the least desirable skill for Minnesota GM for the next 7 or so years... because... you know...

Just hang up whenever you see Danny ainge on caller id
This would be my strategy as a GM of another team.

No one thinks Kessler is going to be ROY. He's at least third behind Paolo and Ben Simmons.
Lmao. Funny stuff.

Twolves should trade Gobert along with a couple 2nd picks for Kessler.
You may need to add something to that.. I'm not feeling it yet.

Looks like all the best one-liners are taken (thanks fellas) so let me jump into some commentary. Danny Ainge is not some kind of John Kramer villain that extracts pleasure from your pain Wolves fans. He never kidnapped and tortured Tim Connelly; hell he didn’t even have to twist his arm. Sure you can point a finger at Tim Connelly if you like, signing on in May and then a month later trading your future away for a beanstalk named Gobert. I mean who in their right mind rolls into town come into your house, goes straight for the cookie jar and then proceeds to trade the stud he just drafted, four picks a bunch of good players including two (Vando and Beasley) that he had drafted in Denver for the same Beanstalk he’d sold to Utah upon drafting him for pocket change?

But he’s not the only one that signed off on that trade. There was Finch, Gupta and ownership directly- and don’t tell me they’re out of the loop. And what’s the deal with the Denver to Minneapolis pipeline anyway? I don’t know but I think I might have been a little more vigilant of a guy that had such a history of bad assessment decisions and trades with Utah going back to Gobert and then Mitchell.

Seems like a dysfunctional organization to me. Who fires Tom Thibodeau mid season and replaces him with the Wizards developmental assistant because he happens to be the son of Flip Saunders? I mean yeah we fleeced you alright but we didn’t take any of your core. You still have the same contentious malcontent all stars. I think Jimmy Butler had it right and you guys deserve what you get.