What's new

Random Thoughts on Jazz opener

l Abach l

Was at the game, and for about 40 seconds (when we came within 3 in the third), I got my hopes up that the jazz finally had turned the page and that THIS year would be different. There was an awesome energy in the arena - that same aura of excitement that filled the arena during the D will and Stockton years. What ensued the raging noise by the crowd, was the same 'Ol ty Corbin basketball but a different year. Thoughts:

-Snyder taking out Burke and booker at the beginning of the fourth reeked of a Corbin adjustment. You have to ride those players when they're playing well!

-Hayward looked like the 4th-5th best player on the court. Playing for the jazz. Extremely disappointed the lack of improvement in his shot. Many times he had WIDE OPEN threes, and clanked them. (Contrary to everyone's belief - "Gordon shot poorly last year because all his shots were contested") Max player disappeared too many times.

-Burke had moments of greatness, and moments of failed hero ball. Same goes with Exum. Albeit Burke is clearly the #1 pg on the team. Wasn't too sure what to think of exum's whiney reaction after he made a bad pass in the 4th.

-Hood to me will be the steal of this past year's draft. Played well.

-Booker is clearly the enforcer on this team. Really I'd start him over Kanter.

-speaking of kanter, I'd do better guarding Dwight than he did. looked like my seahawks' o line blocking.

-Noticed favors finally has a mid range game. Nice to see his improvements.

-gobert is an animal!

- Tempering my expectations. We'll be a bottom feeder again this year

-Snyder taking out Burke and booker at the beginning of the fourth reeked of a Corbin adjustment. You have to ride those players when they're playing well!

Didn't he take them out after Houston made their run and were well into a double figure lead, plus I noticed Booker when he came out looked a bit gassed. Not sure about Burke.

To me it seemed our transition D killed us. Plus we didn't seem ready to guard their bench guys who hit all those 3's in the first half. If it weren't for those uncontested 3's, the Jazz would've had the lead the first half. The Jazz actually outplayed the Rockets the first half, only to have the Rockets hit 2 3's right at the end of the half -- and that one by Harden was insane, Burks was right in his face and he made it with less than a second on the clock! After that they were playing catch-up and made a lot of sloppy turnovers after getting behind, especially Hayward. He has to play better than that. And Favors was great on defense but his offense was weak. Kanter, what can you say about him -- only that Booker is better, a lot better. Finally, by the end of the season, Rudy will be our best big man. I really think the Jazz should look to trade Kanter, now, while they can get some value for him.

Another thing - Anyone else at the game feel like the energy crowd in the first half was DEAD? It was lifeless. The best way I can describe the game is when you take out a really shy girl on a date, and it takes forever to get her talking about anything. It obviously got better at the end of the third, but went to graveyard mode again in the fourth...

Didn't he take them out after Houston made their run and were well into a double figure lead, plus I noticed Booker when he came out looked a bit gassed. Not sure about Burke.

To me it seemed our transition D killed us. Plus we didn't seem ready to guard their bench guys who hit all those 3's in the first half. If it weren't for those uncontested 3's, the Jazz would've had the lead the first half. The Jazz actually outplayed the Rockets the first half, only to have the Rockets hit 2 3's right at the end of the half -- and that one by Harden was insane, Burks was right in his face and he made it with less than a second on the clock! After that they were playing catch-up and made a lot of sloppy turnovers after getting behind, especially Hayward. He has to play better than that. And Favors was great on defense but his offense was weak. Kanter, what can you say about him -- only that Booker is better, a lot better. Finally, by the end of the season, Rudy will be our best big man. I really think the Jazz should look to trade Kanter, now, while they can get some value for him.
That three by harden was nasty. Looked like him and Burks were yapping at each other too leading up to that.

Another thing - Anyone else at the game feel like the energy crowd in the first half was DEAD? It was lifeless. The best way I can describe the game is when you take out a really shy girl on a date, and it takes forever to get her talking about anything. It obviously got better at the end of the third, but went to graveyard mode again in the fourth...

The Jazz could never really get into their offense and looked comfortable. Whenever it looked like we were about to make a run and extend a lead, the Rockets would knock down a couple of 3's in a row. You could tell it really deflated the crowd.

Crowd looked dead on TV. It is misguided to make sweeping statements about anyone or the season based on one game. Sucks to lose but to be discouraged by Hayward and Burke or whoever else is pointless. I still think we win 35+

We'll figure it out...

I was watching the World Series and checking on the Jazz out of the corner of my eye, but from what I can tell the difference is that the Rockets sagged our defense, and their 3-pt. shooting won the game. They have more offensive firepower than we have, and they use the 3-ball as a weapon, even in transition, while they use the spacing to let Howard and Harden to go to work.

They shot 27 3-pt attempts and hit 14 (52%). That's 52 pts. on 3s and an efg% of 78%. No one's going to beat that.

Otherwise, we matched their rebounds, assists and hustle points. Alec Burks also matched James Harden's scoring output, including FTAs, with better efficiency overall. Those are positives to take away.

Give Harden credit for dishing 10 assists when he wasn't shooting well.

I was watching the World Series and checking on the Jazz out of the corner of my eye, but from what I can tell the difference is that the Rockets sagged our defense, and their 3-pt. shooting won the game. They have more offensive firepower than we have, and they use the 3-ball as a weapon, even in transition, while they use the spacing to let Howard and Harden to go to work.

They shot 27 3-pt attempts and hit 14 (52%). That's 52 pts. on 3s and an efg% of 78%. No one's going to beat that.

Otherwise, we matched their rebounds, assists and hustle points. Alec Burks also matched James Harden's scoring output, including FTAs, with better efficiency overall. Those are positives to take away.

He does deserve credit for that, but also had 6 TOs.

In other news, the Thunder look like a disaster without Durant, and the Kings looked terrible in their home debut.

Offense isn't clicking. Too long to set up, and the defense was swarming the Jazz. It would be nice to see better player and ball movement. Draining open shot (especially 3's) would be helpful too. This is what I got from what I was able to watch of it. I still have high hopes for this team this year. Looks like defending 3's is something they need to work on though. Good grief!

Another thing--I'm not convinced the Jazz can be an elite team with Trey Burke as the starting PG. He's good at several things, but not really great at anything. He's not really a knock-down shooter, doesn't blow by people, doesn't affect the game defensively much, needs 1 or 2 picks to run a play normally. I'm just not seeing a high ceiling.

I find it funny that you say Hayward was terrible this game. His shot was off but he lead the team in both rebounding and assists from the SF. He would have had double digit assists had Burke, Kanter, or hood hit the wide open shots he got them. The entire team struggled shooting wide open 3's.
Over all I wasn't happy with our shooting or defending the 3.
I was happy watching both Favors and Gobert play tonight, Booker also. But outside those 3 it was a pretty forgettable night for every one else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*42 points

I find it funny that you say Hayward was terrible this game. His shot was off but he lead the team in both rebounding and assists from the SF. He would have had double digit assists had Burke, Kanter, or hood hit the wide open shots he got them. The entire team struggled shooting wide open 3's.
Over all I wasn't happy with our shooting or defending the 3.
I was happy watching both Favors and Gobert play tonight, Booker also. But outside those 3 it was a pretty forgettable night for every one else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was nice seeing that Hood is a player. a 3, a steal and 2 blocks was a nice start to his NBA-career.

even though we lost, I thought that the Jazz did ok considering the team they were up against. With Houston opening up with a back to back, it was a little different because fatigue doesn't play as big of a factor seeing that it is only their 2nd game of the season and having the last few months to rest and focus. The Jazz were still going up against a team that is a lot more talented and I thought they did well considering. With a new offense, its going to take time and in game changes to get a rhythm and flow for the offense. We definitely need a lot more toughness on D out of our big men. They really need to be bullying the paint to set the defensive tone.

Another thing--I'm not convinced the Jazz can be an elite team with Trey Burke as the starting PG. He's good at several things, but not really great at anything. He's not really a knock-down shooter, doesn't blow by people, doesn't affect the game defensively much, needs 1 or 2 picks to run a play normally. I'm just not seeing a high ceiling.

I think that is okay and that is what he is. But, and it is a big but, he has to come around to understand that. He has to stop trying to be the "da man". He should be a facilitator only who can keep the D honest when needed.