What's new

Rashard Mendenhall's Freedom of Speech?

Boondocksaint27

I didn't see this in the OBL thread and thought it deserved some mention. I'm not big on following athletes on Twitter. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio in the car so when I hear about something stupid an athlete tweets it is usually through that medium. I'm not begrudging a man for having an opinion and voicing that opinion, and far be it from me to stifle his flair, but he could at least make some effort to educate himself on the subject.

To be fair, I'm not sure that the national outcry and PR by the Steelers is deserving. Just because the man can carry a ball well and run fast doesn't make him a political expert by any means. His opinion should be taken in the same context as Joe Everyday Citizen:

Rashard Mendenhall is not the kind of running back who is timid about hitting the hole.

He is also apparently not timid about hitting the "tweet" button.

Mendenhall, who went to Niles West High School and the University of Illinois, ignited a Twitter controversy by questioning the events of 9/11 and expressing sympathy for Osama bin Laden.

His first tweet on the subject read, "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side ... "

Then he retweeted a comment that read: "I'm not convinced he was even behind the attacks we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us"

Then Mendenhall tweeted: "We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style." Mendenhall later deleted this tweet.

https://articles.chicagotribune.com...3_1_tweet-rashard-mendenhall-twitter-comments

I am indifferent to the opinions of athletes, celebrities and politicians for the most part. They are all mostly individuals with no grounding or connection to reality.

"I'm not convinced he was even behind the attacks we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us"

Yeah he should have waited for a confession or something.....

but he could at least make some effort to educate himself on the subject.

And you have? Let me guess you watched Loose Change...then read Popular Mechanics and declared the debate over? Or maybe read the news for a few days after 9/11 and felt like you knew it all? Well, since Popular Mechanics is the de facto propaganda defender that every person you ever talk to about 9/11 will point to to defend their side, I invite you to read both of these books and decide for yourself:

101112_Synthetic_Terror.gif

51FRNBJMW9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Tarpley book is a bit overwhelming, the guy thinks about 3 steps in front of anyone else you've ever heard about this kind of stuff so you might need to read the 9/11 Commision report to supplement the Popular Mechanics book to feel like you read enough from both sides.

I am indifferent to the opinions of athletes, celebrities and politicians for the most part. They are all mostly individuals with no grounding or connection to reality.

This.

I know who pulled off 9/11. Ready for this? Really?

Big Foot.

In conjunction with Major League Baseball. Brought to you by a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

I love conspiracies. Carry on!

No one picked up on my subtle jab here?

We all thought you were dead serious, since we all know that viny is very grounded. He is kind of like Lenny on the Simpsons.

And you have? Let me guess you watched Loose Change...then read Popular Mechanics and declared the debate over? Or maybe read the news for a few days after 9/11 and felt like you knew it all? Well, since Popular Mechanics is the de facto propaganda defender that every person you ever talk to about 9/11 will point to to defend their side, I invite you to read both of these books and decide for yourself:

101112_Synthetic_Terror.gif

51FRNBJMW9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Tarpley book is a bit overwhelming, the guy thinks about 3 steps in front of anyone else you've ever heard about this kind of stuff so you might need to read the 9/11 Commision report to supplement the Popular Mechanics book to feel like you read enough from both sides.

You couldn't add anything in about how the moon landing was created in a studio in Hollywood in that post somewhere?

To be honest I am probably as sickened by this Bin Laden sympathy as Mendenhall was sickened watching us celebrate his death.

I can't speak to all the conspiracy theories; but the one about the WTC Buildings being wired for explosives has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. People who had never been to the WTC don't realize it wasn't only a place where thousands of people who worked; it was also a place where HUNDREDS of thousands of people commuted through every day. One World Trade was a huge transportation hub for the NYC Subway System, including the PATH System which runs through parts of New Jersey. In addition to that you had The World Trade Center Mall which was not only jammed with commuters and tourists 7 days a week but the NYPD and the Port Authority Police (whose presence multiplied after the 93 bomb exploded in the basement garage). Not to mention the WTC Private Security Force as well.

Literally hundreds of people would have to have been involved to rig these buildings. And I'm not talking about shadowy CIA types dressed as contructions workers. I'm talking regular Joe Blow NYC Cops, WTC Security Guards and WTC employees. Sorry, it's just not possible.

I can't speak to all the conspiracy theories; but the one about the WTC Buildings being wired for explosives has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. People who had never been to the WTC don't realize it wasn't only a place where thousands of people who worked; it was also a place where HUNDREDS of thousands of people commuted through every day. One World Trade was a huge transportation hub for the NYC Subway System, including the PATH System which runs through parts of New Jersey. In addition to that you had The World Trade Center Mall which was not only jammed with commuters and tourists 7 days a week but the NYPD and the Port Authority Police (whose presence multiplied after the 93 bomb exploded in the basement garage). Not to mention the WTC Private Security Force as well.

Literally hundreds of people would have to have been involved to rig these buildings. And I'm not talking about shadowy CIA types dressed as contructions workers. I'm talking regular Joe Blow NYC Cops, WTC Security Guards and WTC employees. Sorry, it's just not possible.

Candrew and I go back years and there is very little we agree on but I've got his back on this. You might be able to argue that the planes themselves were an inside job (a nutcase theory regardless) but to suggest that controlled demolitions were used to bring down the towers is absurd.