What's new

Rebounding - How Do We Improve?

Bigger than boxing out imo is actively going after the ball. Go get it. It's how I was taught to rebound at the high school level. Box out, get in front of your man, then go get the damn ball. I've seen too many players box out ok only to be out-hustled to the ball. Go get the damn thing. It's not rocket surgery.

Many NBA players feel there athletic ability makes up for the need to box out and use that to grab rebounds. But sadly, athletic jumping ability will not trump boxing out in most cases! If you just use your athletic ability to try and grab offensive rebounds or defensive rebounds for that matter, two things will generally happen. 1) Your not going to grab the rebound most of the time. 2) You have a good chance of picking up an "over the back" foul trying to do it!
Refs call a ton of "over the back" fouls on re-bounders who just use there athletic ability to jump over players who are fundamentally sound boxing out!

Many NBA players feel there athletic ability makes up for the need to box out and use that to grab rebounds. But sadly, athletic jumping ability will not trump boxing out in most cases! If you just use your athletic ability to try and grab offensive rebounds or defensive rebounds for that matter, two things will generally happen. 1) Your not going to grab the rebound most of the time. 2) You have a good chance of picking up an "over the back" foul trying to do it!
Refs call a ton of "over the back" fouls on re-bounders who just use there athletic ability to jump over players who are fundamentally sound boxing out!
And what if we're not interested in re-bounding, but just simply bounding? No reason to re-do it if it's done right the first time.

And what if we're not interested in re-bounding, but just simply bounding? No reason to re-do it if it's done right the first time.
Dude we don't want the other team bounding properly. So we need to re their bounds. Duh.

Y'all want a depressing number? Jeff Green and Georges Niang are averaging a combined 2.8 rebounds per game in 28.7 minutes per game.

I do think that we probably need to trade for another backup 4 who is a good to great rebounder at some point unless we try Brantley and he just kills it. Green is useful in the lineup because of his versatility, experience and overall ability but his rebounding issue may limit him to a player used in certain matchups. Niang shouldn't even be in the rotation IMO. He doesn't provide what the team truly needs in his minutes on the floor.

Mudiay is playing really well. Maybe we could flip Exum for a backup big? I know I know, here we go with Exum trade talk again. But if we figure out the rebounding issue then I don't really see any major flaw with this team barring significant injury. Conley will figure it out. And the turnover issue should resolve itself as these players gain chemistry.

I think the Jazz shot themselves in the butt this summer when they moved on from Willie Reed and Tyler Cavanaugh. Both had good numbers for boards in the GLeague and in Reed's case he had reputable numbers as a backup big in the Association. The front office decided to jettison both.

I think the Jazz shot themselves in the butt this summer when they moved on from Willie Reed and Tyler Cavanaugh. Both had good numbers for boards in the GLeague and in Reed's case he had reputable numbers as a backup big in the Association. The front office decided to jettison both.

Nah. Willie Reed is a 5 and the rebounding problem isn't at the 5. Cavanaugh wouldn't have broken into the rotation.

Part of it is defensive rotation. When a team covers/helps on ball like the Jazz do, there needs to be an emphasis on weak side help and rebounding, but the very nature of the defensive sets leads to offensive board opportunities.

Y'all want a depressing number? Jeff Green and Georges Niang are averaging a combined 2.8 rebounds per game in 28.7 minutes per game.

I do think that we probably need to trade for another backup 4 who is a good to great rebounder at some point unless we try Brantley and he just kills it. Green is useful in the lineup because of his versatility, experience and overall ability but his rebounding issue may limit him to a player used in certain matchups. Niang shouldn't even be in the rotation IMO. He doesn't provide what the team truly needs in his minutes on the floor.

Mudiay is playing really well. Maybe we could flip Exum for a backup big? I know I know, here we go with Exum trade talk again. But if we figure out the rebounding issue then I don't really see any major flaw with this team barring significant injury. Conley will figure it out. And the turnover issue should resolve itself as these players gain chemistry.

Mudiay has a lot of work to do before you can say he's playing really well. He's had a couple good games but he's still prone to absolutely dumb decisions pretty often

Mudiay has a lot of work to do before you can say he's playing really well. He's had a couple good games but he's still prone to absolutely dumb decisions pretty often
This. He gets tunnel vision almost as bad as Conley. Head down, dribble into trouble, suddenly realize he's in trouble, jump then try to figure out what to do with the rock. But mudiay is a better finisher than Conley, but overall less dynamic.

Neither was Rubio in that case if we compare their last seasons side by side.

Rubio 3.6, Conley 3.4 last season.

My comment wasn't created to say that Conley is a rebounding guard in any case. It's to point to the fact that his decision making, and general feel for the game is way off right now. Whether it's jumping up for a rebound way too soon, his loose handle at times, his poor shooting, and uncharacteristic high turnover games.

That little clip from Andy Larsen shows a player who is completely off rhythm with the game of basketball right now. Completely.
Ricky Rubio has a career 13.1% Defensive rebounding percentage. Conley's is 9.1%. Rubio is an excellent defensive rebounder for a point guard while Conley is an average one.