What's new

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
I noticed that a few people had rep powers > 10, so I rebalanced the system again.

I noticed that a few people had rep powers > 10, so I rebalanced the system again.

I really wish you would quit doing this. Every time I get a decent number, you come in and knock me back down. I'm starting to think you don't like me :(

I really wish you would quit doing this. Every time I get a decent number, you come in and knock me back down. I'm starting to think you don't like me :(

And yet, his stay the same or go up. Yes, I am somewhat butthurt over this whole thing.

And yet, his stay the same or go up.

Jasons and my powers don't go up or down at all in the normal course of events. They just stay constant, at whatever value I choose. So whenever I notice that people have MUCH higher rep powers than mine, I know it's probably time for a rebalancing. Last rebalancing, I think I set Jason's and mine at a 6 and tweaked parameters so that the top people had a 7, if I recall correctly. This rebalancing I set Jason's and mine at an 8 and tweaked parameters so that the top people had at least an 8, and more probably a 9. (I saw that you and LogGrad both had 8's, and didn't bother actually checking to see if there was anyone with a 9. YB might well have a 9; he's often the top rep power person.)

I *could* have set Jason's and mine rep powers to be 12's, but for some reason tweaking yours to go down seemed more fun. ;-)

TroutBum said:
Yes, heaven forbid we wield the power that we've earned.

And how ironic that we all of a sudden have the same rep power. If I could -12 you, I would.

Evidence of Trout's multiple personality disorder? Of course you're going to have the same rep power as yourself. And why would you -12 yourself? ;-)

I am just curious, how high could the rep powers go right now if you fiddled with the settings to send them the other way? The first time they were fiddled with I was at a 10 I think, then I got back to 12, now 8. It is kind of like a sideways stock split. The number goes down but the amount of rep doesn't go up. =)

Also how are the little green squares determined? I have 7 still but my rep power dropped. Also what is the rep scale used for the community list when sorted by rep? Total rep points or power or what? I have 866 rep points now, is that a lot compared to others?

Anyway just curious what things get tweaked to modify the rep power.

I am just curious, how high could the rep powers go right now if you fiddled with the settings to send them the other way?

Oh, I could make them as big as you want. There's no upper limit.

The first time they were fiddled with I was at a 10 I think, then I got back to 12, now 8. It is kind of like a sideways stock split. The number goes down but the amount of rep doesn't go up. =)
Also how are the little green squares determined? I have 7 still but my rep power dropped.

Also what is the rep scale used for the community list when sorted by rep? Total rep points or power or what? I have 866 rep points now, is that a lot compared to others?

Anyway just curious what things get tweaked to modify the rep power.

The rep power and the rep level itself are different. The reputation is what is indicated by the green squares, and it looks like you are in fact the current leader.

As far as rep power goes, there are a few factors that can be tweaked, that get combined into a formula. The factors are (a) reputation level, (b) how long you've been on jazzfanz (since the site reboot, anyway), and (c) how many posts you've made. I can weight them in any amount. Right now (a) and (b) are by far the most significant factors, with (c) a distant third.

Thanks for the clarification Colton. Makes sense now.

Just for fun you ought to boost everyone up into the thousands for a day. =)

Thanks for the clarification Colton. Makes sense now.

Just for fun you ought to boost everyone up into the thousands for a day. =)

If only you had suggested that one month ago! Would have been a great April Fools thing to do.

I literally never look at the comments I get. But when I saw my rep drop like 3 points I figured out how to see them wondering what posts I made had caused an avalanche. Then I saw this thread. I'll go back to ignoring the comments I get.