What's new

Replying to a post banishes me to the shadow realm

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
I think this started yesterday 4-23-21 or the day before. When I click the reply button I suddenly get transported out of the thread and to a dedicated screen where there is nothing but me and the post I'm replying to.

I'm going to go on record as HATING this.

For one, I often refer to recent posts that I am not directly replying to when I reply. I like to be able to reference the exact words people use instead of using my recollection or impression of what they said.

For another thing, it's a bit disorienting. There is a fraction of a second when it does the normal or previous thing but then transports you into oblivion where you are all alone with your reply. I'm left looking around wondering if I've entered some jazzfanz wormhole.

I'm making this post after noticing a similar phenomenon. When someone has more than like three reactions to their post it shows three of the user names and then ... and 3 others or something like that. In the past when you clicked on that it would just pop-up with all the names and what their reaction was. Now you go to an entirely different screen, leaving the thread and you get a full screen list of who reacted and how.

I don't like it.

I'm gonna go get some screen shots now.

I think this started yesterday 4-23-21 or the day before. When I click the reply button I suddenly get transported out of the thread and to a dedicated screen where there is nothing but me and the post I'm replying to.

For one, I often refer to recent posts that I am not directly replying to when I reply. I like to be able to reference the exact words people use instead of using my recollection or impression of what they said.

For another thing, it's a bit disorienting. There is a fraction of a second when it does the normal or previous thing but then transports you into oblivion where you are all alone with your reply. I'm left looking around wondering if I've entered some jazzfanz wormhole.

I'm making this post after noticing a similar phenomenon. When someone has more than like three reactions to their post it shows three of the user names and then ... and 3 others or something like that. In the past when you clicked on that it would just pop-up with all the names and what their reaction was. Now you go to an entirely different screen, leaving the thread and you get a full screen list of who reacted and how.

I don't like it.

This is where I go when I reply now
shadow realm.PNG

This is how it used to look. I can get back here by escaping out of the other screen
normal realm.PNG

When I click on this it doesn't just pop-up on screen with the info, see next pic.
reaction.PNG

When I click on reactions
reaction neg.PNG

Hmm I’ll look into this. Might be something broke in dark mode only. Thanks.

I don't like it.

Are you clicking “reply” in the post and it taking you to the bottom of the screen? Is scrolling up not possible?

Are you clicking “reply” in the post and it taking you to the bottom of the screen? Is scrolling up not possible?
It is hit and miss (like right now I'm still in the thread) but when it happens it takes me completely out of the thread to a page where there is nothing but me and my reply. The quoted text I'm replying to is in my reply window but there is no other thread content on the screen. No page numbers, nothing. Like my reply is in quarantine. Once I submit the reply I go back to the thread.

Same thing with likes. The example I gave you is when I click on the likes to see who liked and who disliked or whatever else to that post. In the past a little box would pop up on the same screen and I could see that info but in the screen shot I posted above I get taken to an entirely different screen with the info. After I started this thread that happened once when I clicked my "alerts" icon at the top of the screen. Instead of a little box popping up with the alerts I was taken to a whole new screen with nothing but that info displayed in a much larger format. Doesn't happen every time.

I'm on google chrome (cuz I'm basic like that) and I'm NOT running an ad blocker. I am running in dark mode.

I haven't noticed a pattern for when it will happen and when it won't.

It is hit and miss (like right now I'm still in the thread) but when it happens it takes me completely out of the thread to a page where there is nothing but me and my reply. The quoted text I'm replying to is in my reply window but there is no other thread content on the screen. No page numbers, nothing. Like my reply is in quarantine. Once I submit the reply I go back to the thread.

Same thing with likes. The example I gave you is when I click on the likes to see who liked and who disliked or whatever else to that post. In the past a little box would pop up on the same screen and I could see that info but in the screen shot I posted above I get taken to an entirely different screen with the info. After I started this thread that happened once when I clicked my "alerts" icon at the top of the screen. Instead of a little box popping up with the alerts I was taken to a whole new screen with nothing but that info displayed in a much larger format. Doesn't happen every time.

I'm on google chrome (cuz I'm basic like that) and I'm NOT running an ad blocker. I am running in dark mode.

I haven't noticed a pattern for when it will happen and when it won't.
Testing hitting reply on fourth post with chrome, dark mode - there’s gonna be a few of these.

And you are indeed just clicking reply on the post right?

I see the reaction popup fwiw

Yes just clicking reply on the post. This one decided to go to and entirely different page.

this is the URL

I'll start paying attention to that.
This reply to myself stayed in the thread.

URL

Not sure when this stopped happening but it has been at least a week or two.