What's new

Report: #5, Favors, Burks for Cavs' #1 pick

Yay or Nay?

• Yay

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 52 43.3%

• Total voters
Looking more closely at it, I only think this deal would be legal if we get back Jack and Waiters/Thompson/Bennett/Gee and Karasev/Zeller and Karasev/Gee and Zeller.

Neither team has any cap room to speak of before the draft and it is not until July 1st that this years contracts will come off the books.

I'm sure the teams can wait until July to make a trade official. Cleveland will have room at that time to absorb any additional salary.

Looking more closely at it, I only think this deal would be legal if we get back Jack and Waiters/Thompson/Bennett/Gee and Karasev/Zeller and Karasev/Gee and Zeller.

What!? Please explain, that we would need to obtain more players from Cleveland? The Jazz have cap room so we could take on more salary than what the other team is receiving. ie. the Golden State trade last year which we traded Kevin Murphy for the three vets we got back from Golden State.

Last edited:
possibly. I know in the past you could trade players straight up for draft picks. As long as teams are not past the salary cap. And I don't think either team is right now. But thew new CBA could be different.

It's all about room under the cap. Utah has $1.7M and Cleveland has none. So the trade can be slightly uneven. However, Favors has a PPP restriction, which makes his trade value about $11M right now. After July 1oth it's the value of the new contract. A draft day deal would need to include Jack AND Varejao. Or Jack and Bennett.

Favors, Burks and Lucas = $14.8M
Varejao and Jack = $15.3M

Or,
Favors and Burks = $13.2M
Jack and Bennett = $11.6M

Or, the teams simply agree to finalize the trade on July 10th. In that case, all Cleveland needs to do is renounce the rights to one of their FA's in order to clear enough cap room to add Favors at $12M (the new contract) less Jack at $6.3M (or whatever he's making in the 2nd year of his deal). Then instead of draft picks, the teams are trading the "rights" to those players.

Jack as a backup to Burke wouldn't be too bad. Certainly an upgrade over Garrett or JLIII. Marvin is likely re-signed as a backup forward. Whether he plays primarily PF or SF depends on who the Jazz get with their second pick. I guess Utah would then assume Tomic is coming over to play the 5 with Gobert.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've thought twice about a rumored package to move up. But ultimately, if you believe you'll get a franchise player there, you have to do it. The Cavaliers arithmetic is slightly different since they already have Kyrie and have aims to land Lebron.

By the way, I talked to my one source today about this rumor and says it's completely legit.

It's all about room under the cap. Utah has $1.7M and Cleveland has none. However, Favors has a PPP restriction on trades, which makes his trade value about $11M. The deal would need to include Jack AND Varejao.

Favors, Burks and Lucas = $14.8M
Varejao and Jack = $15.3M

That would get it done.

Actually, no. Favors has an outgoing salary of about 10 million, but only counts as 6 million for us. PPP-contracts are pretty complicated to trade.

I voted no. I would rather include a top 3 protected first next year than Burks.

I would rather the package be different as well, but ultimately I would pull the trigger on this. I think I'd rather send out a top-3 protected pick as well. Cleveland is was asking for an unprotected pick, but that is just too much to ask. I think top-3 is an agreeable compensation for both parties.

After looking through some of the stuff, it doesn't sound like it's #5, Favors, Burks, for #1 and Jack. I think the base is #5 and Favors. And then Either Burks, #23, unprotected 1st. In some kind of combination.

I think if a deal like this goes down then DL has some other deals/plans in the works.

The FO is split? Who, then, is the "FO"? Does a guy like Rigby have a vote and, if so, why? I remember him implying how the coach search wasn't all Lindsey, suggesting that he has a say, as well. I'd like to see what he brings to the table. He'd probably make a poor contributor to this forum, even by JazzFanz standards.

/tangential Rigby rant
He's the Hotttnickkk of the organization for sure.

Who's Rigby? srs question. See him mentioned a lot, but don't know who he is.

Only know Eleanor

Ah, Randy Rigby. He has a wiki page!

Seems like a business dude that shouldn't be asked for his opinions on basketball

Actually, no. Favors has an outgoing salary of about 10 million, but only counts as 6 million for us. PPP-contracts are pretty complicated to trade.
From what I read the amount that is considered for trade is the average of the salary he is currently making + the salaries he will earn for his new contract. So $49M + $6M = $55m/5 years = $11M. If you have a different link showing an alternate interpretation, I'd love to see it.

What I'm unsure of is how it impacts salaries coming in. For example, we're currently sitting at $1.7M under the cap if the $6M is counted. However, in a trade, we'd need to get back roughly an equal amount since his value is either $10M or $11M (depending on your understanding of the PPP or mine). So our cap room disappears. So a Jack/Bennett deal likely needs filler. Wonder if Quin could turn Bennett into a useful player. If Cleveland is truly clearing cap space for Lebron, I'd have to think they'd want to offload AB.

I'd be open to either scenario. Varejao would bring some nasty, even though he's hurt a lot.

Who's Rigby? srs question. See him mentioned a lot, but don't know who he is.

Only know Eleanor

Jazz President. I've always assumed he's on board for Mormon relations. (not knocking that at all. It's a necessity)

Super scary if he's forrealz involved in basketball stuff.

[video]https://www.nba.com/jazz/video/jazz-president-randy-rigby-2012-13-media-day