What's new

Republicans and Fascism

Digging deeper, we see broad support from prominent environmental groups for preservation of the site
It sounds an awful lot like you think that is a justification for calling for the murder of police and anyone who supports law enforcement.

I find it hard to believe there are no already-developed, unused spaces in Atlanta, that they need to cut down forest for this training facility.

An in depth look at the South River Forest. Must read, IMHO, to really dig deep…the individual identified as Tortuguita in this piece is the man who was killed. As noted: Editor’s Note: This story, which appears in Atlanta magazine’s February 2023 issue, went to the printer at the end of December 2022. On the morning of January 18, 2023, police raided the forest again, shooting and killing one protester: the person referred to in this piece as Tortuguita, who was identified after their death as Manuel Teran, and who was remembered at a candlelight vigil in Little Five Points later that day. A state trooper was also shot and in intensive care following surgery; police say they were fired on first, though few details about the raid have emerged, and activists are calling for the release of body cam footage. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has said no such footage exists.

“Some defenders and their allies have been implicated in several dozen acts of violence or vandalism, both within the South River Forest and elsewhere. These actions include burning a truck that belonged to Ryan Millsap, who made a deal with DeKalb County to swap 40 acres of Intrenchment Creek Park land for another parcel when he was owner of Blackhall film studios. Millsap has since sold the company, and a lawsuit has been filed to prevent the land exchange. There’s also been vandalism and civil disobedience at several companies associated with the training center plans. In a July 19, 2022, email, Atlanta City Council member Dustin Hillis asked Dave Wilkinson, the CEO of the Atlanta Police Foundation: “Any progress from FBI/GBI/AG Office on hauling these terrorists in?”

Several weeks later, on August 3, spokesperson Baskin wrote Bryan Thomas, Mayor Dickens’s director of communications: “We’ve ceded the narrative to our opponents—who at best represent a persistent group of environmentalists and ‘defund the police’ extremists, whose principal strategy is to embrace violence.” (Both documents were shared with me by a community group that had obtained them through an open records request.) The actions of the forest defenders have also been condemned by some who have opposed building the training center in South River Forest: Nancy Clair McInaney, the board chair of the Nature Conservancy’s Georgia chapter, told me her organization “abhors violence.

But several environmental historians noted that these types of scenarios—tree-sitting and other direct actions against development projects, met by vilification from media, law enforcement, and the local political power structure—aren’t new: They’ve characterized a type of environmental protest since the 1980s, when activists battled loggers in the Pacific Northwest. Two differences in Atlanta: the urban, Southern setting, and the confluence of environmental and social justice issues in the South River Forest.

“This case brings together old-style environmental activism and newer issues in an urban setting,” said Keith Woodhouse, professor of history at Northwestern University and author of The Ecocentrists: A History of Radical Environmentalism. “They’re certainly concerned about the protection of the ecosystem, but they’re thinking about the urban tree canopy, greenhouse gases, environmental justice issues, and then of course the claim the forest will be sacrificed for greater militarization of the police force. It’s a sophisticated view of what greenspace in an urban area might mean.”

Last edited:
I'm not as concerned about cutting down trees as to what they are planning to do there. There is a lot about "militarization" of the police but in reading about this I got the impression the intention is to provide deeper training for handling difficult situations. If that's even remotely true I say cut down as many trees as you need to if it means more comprehensive training for police in almost any regard besides shooting more people.

I'm not as concerned about cutting down trees as to what they are planning to do there. There is a lot about "militarization" of the police but in reading about this I got the impression the intention is to provide deeper training for handling difficult situations. If that's even remotely true I say cut down as many trees as you need to if it means more comprehensive training for police in almost any regard besides shooting more people.
Deeper training could refer to more militarization or more compassionate policing. Based on the history of continuing police training so far, I expect the former. I would love to be wrong here.

I haven't heard any stories of anyone acting on that call to violence. Happy about that.

Dont know where to put this one but...... https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...newsntp&cvid=8b2604fecbc842a8b751ed542d7bba58

Justice picks up where the FBI investigation into Brett Kavanaugh fell woefully short,” Limon said. “The film examines our judicial process and the institutions behind it, highlighting bureaucratic missteps and political powergrabs that continue to have an outsized impact on our nation today.”

The movie will play in Park City, Utah, at 8:30 p.m. local time Friday.

Kinda ****ed up
“wHy ArE wE sO dIvIdEd?”

By bringing this up, aren’t you contributing to the division of America? We should just ignore all the ****ed up things republicans are doing. It’s the only way to unite the country…

Last edited:
Dont know where to put this one but...... https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...newsntp&cvid=8b2604fecbc842a8b751ed542d7bba58

Justice picks up where the FBI investigation into Brett Kavanaugh fell woefully short,” Limon said. “The film examines our judicial process and the institutions behind it, highlighting bureaucratic missteps and political powergrabs that continue to have an outsized impact on our nation today.”

The movie will play in Park City, Utah, at 8:30 p.m. local time Friday.
That’s someone who absolutely needs to be investigated. Who paid off all his debts? And with the amount of sexual harassment accusations and the way the White House squashed them before his confirmation, it’s pretty obvious that people in power knew the accusations were credible. But republicans have proven that they can do whatever they want without ever being held to account. The loudest, richest, and most belligerent always get off.

Antifa in the forests? What? I really wished some of you would understand how insane you sound to those of us NOT addicted to Fox News’s alternative reality.

Meanwhile back in reality, anyone else looking forward to some football this weekend???

Antifa in the forests? What? I really wished some of you would understand how insane you sound to those of us NOT addicted to Fox News’s alternative reality.

Meanwhile back in reality, anyone else looking forward to some football this weekend???
I’m wondering if the tweet sent out, which caused Twitter to suspend the account, calling for people to journey to Atlanta for a day of rage, is what caused Right wing rags, like the Daily Mail(but they are superb at photo journalism) to scream “it’s Antifa”. And maybe the Right wants to peg environmental radicals as a branch of “Antifa” while there at it.

Working at a local level….

“People have said this reminds them of Germany in 1935,” Jeffery Jones, whose bid for a council seat in Goddard, Kansas, collapsed last week as Hunter Larkinabruptly took control, told The Daily Beast. “Like, ‘Hey, we don’t like you anymore and we’re gonna vote you out and put our own person in.’”….

…..”The convoluted machinations by which Larkin maneuvered his way back into power were described as “essentially, a coup” and reminiscent of a totalitarian regime, according to one recently departed council member. And while Goddard, a Wichita suburb with a population of just under 5,400, isn’t necessarily going to influence policy shifts on a national scale, the strategy used by Larkin—a right-winger who last year promoted an appearance in Goddard by accused sex pest and conservative kingmaker Matt Schlapp—could serve as a stark warning of what’s possible elsewhere.

“I have to hand it to Larkin,” Wichita Eagle columnist Dion Lefle wrote. “I’ve covered cities for a long time and have seldom seen a political takeover that was this sleazy, and yet this well-orchestrated.”

“People have said this reminds them of Germany in 1935,” Jeffery Jones, whose bid for a council seat in Goddard, Kansas, collapsed last week as Hunter Larkinabruptly took control, told The Daily Beast. “Like, ‘Hey, we don’t like you anymore and we’re gonna vote you out and put our own person in.’”….

…..”The convoluted machinations by which Larkin maneuvered his way back into power were described as “essentially, a coup” and reminiscent of a totalitarian regime, according to one recently departed council member. And while Goddard, a Wichita suburb with a population of just under 5,400, isn’t necessarily going to influence policy shifts on a national scale, the strategy used by Larkin—a right-winger who last year promoted an appearance in Goddard by accused sex pest and conservative kingmaker Matt Schlapp—could serve as a stark warning of what’s possible elsewhere.

“I have to hand it to Larkin,” Wichita Eagle columnist Dion Lefle wrote. “I’ve covered cities for a long time and have seldom seen a political takeover that was this sleazy, and yet this well-orchestrated.”
Wow. Gotta give the guy some credit. I never had anything like this in mind at 23 years old. He has fully embraced the most sleazy side of politics, that was a slick maneuver. Hell, we might be seeing the future Hugo Chavez of the united states.

And why wouldn't they? They've been successful in gerrymandering, voter suppression, and packing the court. So what's stopping authoritarians from continuing to do authoritarian things? Things is why civil rights experts, professors, and political scientists have been sounding the alarm since 2010. Republicans have been pretty open about what they want to do.

And they've been saying this sort of stuff for years:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw

Once you've chosen to give up on winning arguments based on ideas, candidates, and policies and have given up on democracy, why wouldn't you continue to ignore democracy? At some point, our elections will just be ceremonial as the outcomes are already known. Heck, they already are in many states.

Wow. Gotta give the guy some credit. I never had anything like this in mind at 23 years old. He has fully embraced the most sleazy side of politics, that was a slick maneuver. Hell, we might be seeing the future Hugo Chavez of the united states.
You see this guy turning into a communist?

He looks about 16 years old in that photo, lol, and slick he is.

Anti-American terrorists who took a giant **** on our nation.

Western chauvinists
Christian nationalists
American nationalists
MAGA mob

Proud Boys
Oath Keepers
Evangelicals
Trailer Park Drunks

None of them love what the United States of America actually is. None of them are patriotic for the country they actually live in. None of them believe in the founding principles of the U.S.. They all want to turn our country into something else, something less, something more hateful and hurtful.

They get a fraction of what they really deserve.