What's new

Rest Easy, The Jazz Will Be Awful

Here's where I think this is going....
** At this stage, the Jazz are just sifting through players to see if they like any of them.
** Markkanen is a starting-level player, and he's still just 25. I think the Jazz will keep him longer term.
** Collin Sexton will probably end up being a backup on the team the Jazz want to build, or he may be an asset to be traded in the future once he gets further along his development curve.
** Jared Vanderbilt is a culture-setter with his energy and effort, and I think he's part of the team's plans in the near-term at least.
** Jazz will keep NAW, THT, Agbaji and Bolmaro as development projects, though none are likely to be untouchable in future trades.
** It's not clear to me how much the Jazz really like Walker Kessler and whether he fits what they want from the center position. It's possible that he was a throw-in in the Gobert trade. He could be developed and moved within a couple years. He doesn't project to be good enough to be a long-term staple.
** Jazz will try to trade away Conley, Clarkson, Beasley and Olynyk. None of them will be around on the future team and none are really systemically that important.
** Jazz will dump Rudy Gay if they have to.
I'm guessing the Jazzman's future franchise player(s) is a teenager at this point. It's possible there isn't a single player on this team that will still be here in a few years. Maybe a few of them stick around as culture pieces and/or as complimentary pieces once a franchise player is drafted and developed. I know Agbaji didn't get to play much today but he and Kessler seem like potentially decent bets to stick around but who knows at this point. If Markkanen and Sexton play well I wouldn't be surprised to see either one eventually traded especially as their contracts start to age. Vanderbilt is a guy I could see them extend if he keeps playing with the same amount of energy.

Unfortunately the current veterans on this team don't appear to have much trade value at all.

I'm guessing the Jazzman's future franchise player(s) is a teenager at this point. It's possible there isn't a single player on this team that will still be here in a few years. Maybe a few of them stick around as culture pieces and/or as complimentary pieces once a franchise player is drafted and developed. I know Agbaji didn't get to play much today but he and Kessler seem like potentially decent bets to stick around but who knows at this point. If Markkanen and Sexton play well I wouldn't be surprised to see either one eventually traded especially as their contracts start to age. Vanderbilt is a guy I could see them extend if he keeps playing with the same amount of energy.

Unfortunately the current veterans on this team don't appear to have much trade value at all.

The Celtics drafted their foundational players--Smart, Brown and Tatum--in 2014-17. That team just made the Finals for the first time 5 years after the last of them (Tatum) was drafted. So yeah, the Jazz are hoping to draft guys who are 16 - 19 years-old right now and then develop them into a contending team in 5 - 7 years.

The problem that the Jazz keep having is that it takes years to draft and develop All Star-level players, and then quite often the player decides he wants to leave Utah somewhere in the middle of his 2nd contract. It looks like the European players are generally less antsy to get to LA or NYC.

The Celtics drafted their foundational players--Smart, Brown and Tatum--in 2014-17. That team just made the Finals for the first time 5 years after the last of them (Tatum) was drafted. So yeah, the Jazz are hoping to draft guys who are 16 - 19 years-old right now and then develop them into a contending team in 5 - 7 years.

The problem that the Jazz keep having is that it takes years to draft and develop All Star-level players, and then quite often the player decides he wants to leave Utah somewhere in the middle of his 2nd contract. It looks like the European players are generally less antsy to get to LA or NYC.
Yep. I think this year is all about setting a culture and *potentially* finding a few players to compliment the future franchise player. I think they need to follow the Minnesota/Cleveland model and act quickly once they draft and identify a franchise guy. Cavs had a few quality pieces on their roster and once they drafted Mobley realized they had a potential top 10 talent and immediately traded all their assets for Don. I have confidence that Ainge is going to find a Tatum type talent for the Jazz in the next few years. Hopefully they will have the culture in place to immediately go all in to build around their guy. As a smaller market I think that's the only way to build as the rookie contract clock starts ticking immediately and the team is only going to have 7-9 years of team control and potentially less if the player is unhappy.

Totally agree that some of the foreign players seem less "antsy" to play for the big market teams. It didn't hurt that a team like the Bucks did a great job building around Giannis so that he didn't want to leave. I think it was important for Ainge to get all those unprotected picks so he now has a ton of ammo to go out and make moves after they draft their Tatum (or Giannis or Morant, etc). The worst spot to be is where Charlotte currently sits. They thought they had a potential franchise guy in LaMelo and now they have absolutely nothing next to him..I can pretty much guarantee that guy will be out of Charlotte within 4-5 years.

The one thing I know for sure is that the upcoming preseason game between us and the Spurs is going to be some "must miss" basketball. . .
It's a race to the bottom baby..

You know when the Spurs are tanking it promises to be a very special draft. Last 2 times they "tanked" they ended up with Robinson and Duncan. 'Course Robinson was injured during the Duncan tank season.

Speaking of the Houston Rockets, here are the young players they've assembled in the past two drafts:

2021 Draft
- Jalen Green
- Alperen Sengun
- Usman Garuba
- Josh Christopher

2022 Draft
- Jabari Smith
- Tari Eason
- Tyty Washington

Combined with Kevin Porter Jr., who was acquired during the same timeframe, that's a very solid young team with two potential All Stars and nearly everyone on Rookie Scale.

Speaking of the Houston Rockets, here are the young players they've assembled in the past two drafts:

2021 Draft
- Jalen Green
- Alperen Sengun
- Usman Garuba
- Josh Christopher

2022 Draft
- Jabari Smith
- Tari Eason
- Tyty Washington

Combined with Kevin Porter Jr., who was acquired during the same timeframe, that's a very solid young team with two potential All Stars and nearly everyone on Rookie Scale.
Not bad considering all the Harden drama they were going thru just 2 seasons ago.

I don't think I have ever seen so many people read into so much from the 1st preseason game. The only thing we can take away from yesterday's game was Hardy's strange bench rotation which may mean nothing. I need to see a few more games from these guys before passing any type of judgement.

2021 Draft
- Jalen Green
- Alperen Sengun
- Usman Garuba
- Josh Christopher

2022 Draft
- Jabari Smith
- Tari Eason
- Tyty Washington

It has been 2 really good drafts for them. I was pissed when we didn't try to trade up for Eason. They are now built for this modern era of the nba and should improve quite a bit this year.

I don't think I have ever seen so many people read into so much from the 1st preseason game. The only thing we can take away from yesterday's game was Hardy's strange bench rotation which may mean nothing. I need to see a few more games from these guys before passing any type of judgement.
Brand new team with a brand new coach. What do you expect?

Part of the Cleveland deal is that they still lease Mitchell to us for clutch situations, solidifying the tank.
Boler: Ok big T, time to buckle up! 3 minutes left, Jazz up 5.
Big T: You know what that means Boler.
Boler: Yes I do...and here he comes!!

**camera pans to visitors locker area, where Donovan Mitchell comes running onto the court, ripping off his warmups, wearing a hybrid Jazz/Cavs jersey, and checks in at the scorer's table, to a wave of confused applause.**

Big T: This will make the last 3 minutes for the Jazz Boler. So is it time?
Boler: Yes it is, big T. It is time to buckle up!!

Final score: Jazz 122 - Kings 128

Mitchell's line: 3 point, 1-9 from 3, 0-4 on layups, 3 TO, 2 assists, 1 steal.

Boler: Even with Mitchell's deadly fire power the Jazz just can't pull this one out big T, but boy did he put on a show. 2 assists and 1 steal in just 3 minutes of floor time!! Amazing!
Big T: **stares at Boler for a full 30 seconds, drops his head set, and walks off**
Boler: **continues rambling, unaware** Fry sauce...buckle up...bang it down...

2021 Draft
- Jalen Green
- Alperen Sengun
- Usman Garuba
- Josh Christopher

2022 Draft
- Jabari Smith
- Tari Eason
- Tyty Washington

They owe their 2024 and 2026 1sts to OKC. Both are top-4 protected though but it’s extremely likely at least one of those convey.

I'm not sure if we are.

Are we deeper than Houston? Yes

Are we more talented than Houston? No

I just think our complete lack of shot creation is going to be super tough to overcome.

He was agreeing with you that we gonna suck.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app