What's new

Rethinking our roster in light of Finals small ball

Qman

It was stunning to see a roster of Golden State Warriors all 6'7"-6'8" controlling the game against Cleveland. Everyone was athletic and had all around skill. Then I thought back a little more and realized Miami did the same thing with a extra athletic, skilled big in Bosh. So I started to think about which of our players fit the mold. Any maybe drafting a backup big will have a lot less value. Now I am not saying we need to abandon Gobert or the option of going big. I am saying athletic 6'7" guys with all-around skills may be more valuable than the common wisdom indicates.

Another example was the Kobe, Odom, Gasol Lakers. Offensively they had 5 guys who could shoot, handle and pass. They could also crush people on the boards at the same time.

Now Miami had Lebron and Bosh that helped to make everyone work. Golden State has Draymond Green as a unique defense force and Igoudala's incredible athletic ability doesn't hurt. IMO Favors has that kind of super athletic ability. Who is our second guy with the athletic ability to overcome size? Maybe Oubre or Stanley Johnson could become that. Or maybe Booker mix of big man skills and incredible athletic ability is just we need in the long term. If he can continue to improve his 3 point shooting I want him here for upcoming title runs.

A lineup of Exum, Burks, Hood, Hayward and Favors could approximate what Miami did on their title teams. This also make Ingles more important to retain. Maybe Elijah too. Now I believe we need another Center for emergencies. But using the 12th pick on one might be a mistake.

As a downer it makes Burke and Cotton look like more and more of weaknesses. Now if we trade Burke and 12 to move up and draft Winslow or Johnson we could just sign Marquis Teague to be our 3rd point with size.

SA seemed to do just fine with a 6'11" PF. You also failed to recognize Bynum started alongside Gasol for all but 5 games of their two championships in 2009 and 2010. Maybe a little too hasty in thinking Gobert and Favors can't be a championship tandem and it's time to go small.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach and this kind of thinking annoys me. It simply comes down to whose pieces work best together and the variables are seemingly infinitesimal.

Let's also not forget that is basically LBJ and 6 other average players against what has been the best team all year

Might be a different result with a healthy Irving and Love. But yeah, GS was the favorite anyways. Memphis gave them the best fight and that was a bigger lineup.

Let's also not forget that last game was the first they have done this lineup to start a game with exception to injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that if the Cavs were at full health this would be a different series. Also think that they'd be significantly more formidable had they traded for Favors instead of Love.

I like our team. Memphis had the blueprint and Cleveland has been holding up despite being undermanned.

Jazz will have athletic length and very few NBA teams have that ....Exum ,Burks/Hood,Hayward,Favors ,Gobert are long and athletic ,they just lack experience for now ....their length will be a weapon defensively and offensively next year ...book it

If Cleveland hadn't given away the 1st game, GS could easily be down 3-1. Kind of strange to base this off 1 game and ignore the fact that they've kind of been exposed in the playoffs more they've dominated. For the most part, I view small ball as something you try when your bigs are getting outplayed, but definitely not something to intentionally build a team on. Even with the sharpshooters they have, they Could still end up losing to LeBron and anybody else. They really aren't dominating to the point you think about copying what they have.

When the Jazz get in a big playoff game against say the clippers, and the Clippers go on 8 point run, who do the Jazz turn to? Who on the Jazz can take the ball and get a basket?

That is the NBA, anything besides that is just fluff.

It's not about size. It's about skill. That's why Gobert is so devastating. He has the measurables of Shawn Bradley without being a massive stiff.

I'd rather play Gobert against a small lineup than say, oh I don't know let's just pull out a random 6'8" player from utah's past, let's say Scott Padgett. Even though Padgett is a better matchup against the Warriors small balls, he sucked like Cherokee parks. Play Gobert and favors against a small ball lineup, see how ineffective a whole bunch of midgets are against those two. When you have the high ground you maintain it. Jazz are going to make the league play them on their terms. And it's going to be breathtaking.

They key is to be good at both styles and be able to adapt and exploit your opponents weakness.
This. ^^^^

Having a versatile roster with players who can fill multiple roles. I'm fine with the Jazz running small ball on occasion with either Gobert/Favors matching up at center and going with 4 guards. Gobert/Favors and then Hayward, Hood, Burks and Exum is a solid small ball group. You could even swap out Burks for Jingles and go a little bit bigger if needed. That doesn't even include any kids added in the draft here soon either. Add a guy like Johnson, Hezonja, Oubre or Dekker and even more options open up.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach and this kind of thinking annoys me. It simply comes down to whose pieces work best together and the variables are seemingly infinitesimal.

This.

There is no specific formula. There is more than one way to win

We are going to go with our strength of having a nasty defensively front court, and that will be our strength.

I love it. Let's roll with it.

If your smallball lineup is Exum (PG),Burks (SG),Hood (SF),Hayward (PF),Gobert or Favors (C)...this is more length than Golden State and as fast ,Utah has the makings of a superior small ball linup

And I think the backcourt will be the strength this year ,disrupting offenses at the front of opposing teams attack and pressuring the 3 pt line

Tallerr teams usually win championships. Cleveland isn't that tall. They aren't much taller than Golden State.

I don't understand the smaller is better argument. It's skill, period. Quicker or better shooter, may give advantages to height. Given the choice of two equally skilled palyers or teams, the taller will always have the advantage.

We have the makings of a "tall" team that I think has the skill to compete next year. Why in the hell would we move away from the strength this (Jazz) team has? Strengths built largely through the draft including a few surprise home runs (Gobert --biggest surprise-- and Hayward).

Not only that, but if you listen to what the players are saying it's that they think there's something special happening with this team. They believe in themselves, they believe in their teammates and they are bought-in on what coach Snyder is selling. Don't make any sudden movements! This is what we've all been waiting for.