What's new

Richard Jefferson goes off on refs: Rudy gobert was targeted, 'disrespectful' by officials

He was targeted. Inside the NBA thought the Jump ball call was total BS also

Steven A. Smith opens his take to rip on the officials as well. Looking at the replay, Capella jumped into Gobert's space on that jump ball pretty much requiring Rudy to use his other hand to go after it.

My old man has complained for years about refs (mainly MLB umps) thinking they are an important part of the entertainment venue. They aren't. We aren't there to watch an umpire with his flailing, over-exagerated "you're out!" antics. Can it be cool and fun? Sure, but that's not what we paid to see and that's not what you are paid to do. If you don't like it and need to be an entertainer too then quit and join a damn circus or rodeo, because you are a clown already.

"Gobert called us bad things. We are humans with feelings and we matter too guys. Let's make terrible calls and teach these players a lesson".

Nah bitch, you are the help. Grow your asses up and start acting like it or get a different job.

It's like they can't fire these bozos and replace them for cheaper. Referee isnt exactly a skill that requires super human powers. Anyone here could learn to referee. Well, maybe not some of you but still.

The silence from silver is deafening

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Well, what do you do if in his spot? Cause a revolt and lockout by the refs? All because you didn't treat the help like the help, and make sure they are replaceable at any time they want to feel entitled?

Hire 100 more, pay them well enough with less duty - less games to officiate/more ref variety - and fire their asses for pulling a stunt like this.

My old man has complained for years about refs (mainly MLB umps) thinking they are an important part of the entertainment venue. They aren't. We aren't there to watch an umpire with his flailing, over-exagerated "you're out!" antics. Can it be cool and fun? Sure, but that's not what we paid to see and that's not what you are paid to do. If you don't like it and need to be an entertainer too then quit and join a damn circus or rodeo, because you are a clown already.
I disagree with this. The refs are a key part of the sport, and the NBA refs are incredibly good. It's really, really hard to call the games at NBA pace, and the NBA refs are probably the best in the world, but that doesn't excuse the kind of behavior Kirkland showed. You're not a good NBA ref if you can't stay objective.

I disagree with this. The refs are a key part of the sport, and the NBA refs are incredibly good. It's really, really hard to call the games at NBA pace, and the NBA refs are probably the best in the world, but that doesn't excuse the kind of behavior Kirkland showed. You're not a good NBA ref if you can't stay objective.

They are good and well trained but they are the help and need to stay in their lane or get fired. This was throwing a fit and deserves punishment.

Most of us are the help and suffer the many abuses that come with it, but we are free to seek new employment if we can't hack it. Rally the troops to stand on a hill over your fit? **** off, grow up.

They are good and well trained but they are the help and need to stay in their lane or get fired. This was throwing a fit and deserves punishment.

Most of us are the help and suffer the many abuses that come with it, but we are free to seek new employment if we can't hack it. Rally the troops to stand on a hill over your fit? **** off, grow up.
I don't think Kirkland should be fired for this, but I think he should be suspended for some games, and I definitely think the league should send a message saying "we know it sucks to hear players' critisicm like this (which sometimes isn't called for), but this stuff cannot happen".

Well, what do you do if in his spot? Cause a revolt and lockout by the refs? All because you didn't treat the help like the help, and make sure they are replaceable at any time they want to feel entitled?

Hire 100 more, pay them well enough with less duty - less games to officiate/more ref variety - and fire their asses for pulling a stunt like this.

I don't think Kirkland should be fired for this, but I think he should be suspended for some games, and I definitely think the league should send a message saying "we know it sucks to hear players' critisicm like this (which sometimes isn't called for), but this stuff cannot happen".

HGB's response is fine. I own a business and the best advise I ever got is to never hesitate. Waiting to solve a personnel problem is one of the most costly mistakes I have made.

I don't really expect it to happen, just saying that's what should happen. They should punish players exaggerating contact while they are at it. I'm not here to watch drama. Here to watch physical skill and talent. It's nice that Houston's brand of contact exaggeration & ref coercing is not proving effective and at this point the raw talent is producing more desirable outcomes.

Computer refereed games have to be just around the corner, dont they?

All sorts of software that recognize faces, drive cars, detect movement, etc... Why not ref a game? I think that should be the next step. I imagine you might have to up the foul limits to 10 a game or something though. If all the actual fouls were called there would be a lot.

I dont know. On one hand it could be dumb, but on the other, this human bias and mistake thing has to go away.

I don't know why baseball hasnt done it yet. They already have the software pretty much.

That's fine and well enough; I hate jeopardizing people's livelihood, especially when they are good at what they do. My problem is throwing fits and taking matters into their own hands in revolt. That's not necessary, they aren't management, it's not their job.

I deal with "referee criticism" every day in my job. I wouldn't be surprised if a poster here has called and verbally abused me without knowing. It's annoying, but that annoyance is no license or excuse for me to act out. I can either deal with the downsides of the job or get a new one.

Computer refereed games have to be just around the corner, dont they?

All sorts of software that recognize faces, drive cars, detect movement, etc... Why not ref a game? I think that should be the next step. I imagine you might have to up the foul limits to 10 a game or something though. If all the actual fouls were called there would be a lot.

I dont know. On one hand it could be dumb, but on the other, this human bias and mistake thing has to go away.

I don't know why baseball hasnt done it yet. They already have the software pretty much.

Vegas will only allow that if their people have control of the software. As I've gotten older the more I realize it's an entertainment/money making business above all.

Vegas will only allow that if their people have control of the software. As I've gotten older the more I realize it's an entertainment/money making business above all.

the amount of money bets on NBA is so minuscule it's meaningless. But you are a conspiracy nut, so...