What's new

Richie Incognito

The Blue Elephant

I don't want to overreact but he may easily be my least favorite athlete of all time. https://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2...gnito-directed-racial-slur-at-jonathan-martin

"Hey, wassup, you half (expletive) piece of (expletive)," according to a transcript obtained by Breer of an Incognito voice mail to Martin. "I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. I'll (expletive) in you (expletive) mouth. I'm gonna slap your (expletive) mouth, I'm gonna slap your real mother across the face (laughter). (Expletive) you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

In addition forcing him to pay for a trip....

Incognito is a pro bowl player and all so I am sure the Dolphins want to keep him if possible but damn. what a ****ing *******.

Yeah I totally dislike this guy more then that Pats player that killed a man or the Saints player that was bounty hunting, or Tonya Harding that busted her competitors knee, or Tyson that assaulted a woman and bit a chunk out of a dudes ear...

Yeah I totally dislike this guy more then that Pats player that killed a man or the Saints player that was bounty hunting, or Tonya Harding that busted her competitors knee, or Tyson that assaulted a woman and bit a chunk out of a dudes ear...

I'm sure that if Incognito played for the Saints, he would have racked up his share of bounties. The guy is the "winner" of Dirtiest Player in the League votes and a scumbag of epic levels.

I'm sure that if Incognito played for the Saints, he would have racked up his share of bounties. The guy is the "winner" of Dirtiest Player in the League votes and a scumbag of epic levels.

The guy is a scumbag. Beyond doubt, granted, agreed, This....

However to say he is the least favorite seems like an emotional reaction in the moment to the latest idiot, scumbag athlete and turns a blind eye to obviously worse acts in the past.

Your comment was my initial reaction as well, but after reading everything around this story so far, I don't blame Martin one bit.

You might be right. I didn't really know a whole lot about it, still don't, but I just heard it might have some racial implications to it.

Just reading the the text of the voicemail made it seems like it was a simple case of rookie hazing.

You might be right. I didn't really know a whole lot about it, still don't, but I just heard it might have some racial implications to it.

Just reading the the text of the voicemail made it seems like it was a simple case of rookie hazing.

Imo there is no such thing as "simple" hazing. Hazing in and of itself is archaic, inherently narcissistic, and has no place in any modern organization. It serves no purpose whatsoever and causes far more harm than good, if there is anything good about it at all. Even in its most benign form, like carrying around cartoon-related backpacks and the like, it is at best divisive. At worst it is highly destructive and criminal.

Imo there is no such thing as "simple" hazing. Hazing in and of itself is archaic, inherently narcissistic, and has no place in any modern organization. It serves no purpose whatsoever and causes far more harm than good, if there is anything good about it at all. Even in its most benign form, like carrying around cartoon-related backpacks and the like, it is at best divisive. At worst it is highly destructive and criminal.

I have to admit that I have chuckled at Deron Williams making the Jazz rookies take pink backpacks on the road or the long standing tradition of rookies buying Crown Burger for the team on locker clean-out. I've considered that harmless rite-of-passage stuff, but I guess the question is where does the good clean fun end and bullying/intimidation begin?

I don't disagree with this, instead of hazing maybe I should have used "smalk talk", that's all it sounds like to me. I'm only talking about the voicemail text.

I have to admit that I have chuckled at Deron Williams making the Jazz rookies take pink backpacks on the road or the long standing tradition of rookies buying Crown Burger for the team on locker clean-out. I've considered that harmless rite-of-passage stuff, but I guess the question is where does the good clean fun end and bullying/intimidation begin?

No wonder CJ Miles sucked so bad. Damn you rookie hazing!!!

Good point. I think the line is crossed at the point the person being hazed feels they have no way out and when attempts to stifle the hazing results in no change or an increase rather than a decrease of the behavior. It is a lot like harassment at work. It becomes harassment when the person being harassed feels they are in a "hostile" environment, or someone observing the behavior perceives it that way. In this case it definitely crossed the line as you can see from the reaction of the one being hazed.

In the case of D Will and the backpacks and such, I agree it can be just good clean fun, as long as the rookies know they have a way out, are not forced to participate, and accept it in that same spirit. The second they feel trapped, or that it is creating a hostile environment, no matter how cute the backpacks may have been, it crosses a line and is wrong.

As far as the guy not standing up to the harasser, as I have read a lot about people calling him a ***** and such for not just "being a man" about it, we need to keep in mind that everyone is different, and some people will address it head on if they feel it is crossing that line, but others may feel either intimidated, threatened, or just plain uncomfortable addressing the issue with the harasser directly, and that is fully legitimate. It is a terrible situation to be in. If you think about it, everyone has a right to NOT be harassed to begin with, so in no way can the person being harassed be held responsible for the behavior or its escalation just because they are afraid to say anything. Bullying like this is a power play. In that way it is similar to rape, which is really a crime about power, and to say that the victim is responsible for not speaking up is a lot like saying that a rape victim is at fault because she might not have said "no" loudly enough.

Looking at the transcript of that voicemail, any reasonable person would be intimidated and threatened by that, almost no matter what the history. The guy crossed a line big time and in a normal work environment he would lose his job, period.

Ok, change it to "he may be one of my least favorite athletes"