What's new

Ronnie Price & Sundiata Gaines

NotDeadYet

Perhaps, just perhaps, we are all missing something here. Since we have a shortage of guys who can defend the SG position (CJ lacks lateral moves, as supposedly does Ryan Thompson and Gordon Hayward), the Jazz could be thinkin' of moving Ronnie Price back to the SG position. Possible?
If so, that leaves the door open for Sundiata Gaines to remain as our 3rd PG. Personally I'd rather see us keep Ryan Thompson around for that role as a combo guard. This should be an interesting camp; a LOT of new faces!

Price never saw time at SG except in some spot minutes. Sloan did play him there for defense against smaller SG's time to time but he just doesn't have the size or offense to be a SG. As for Sundiatta, I think he is going to have to blow the Jazz away in camp to stay on board. His summer league play was reckless and not what the Jazz want out of their PG. Price and Watson are already under contract, and Thompson can play PG as well.

I hope not. I want Thompson, Jeffers or Nichols. Gaines should be gone. Price is a great guard for us at the 3rd string only and sometimes to guard smaller SG's.

I hope Thompson can guard NBA 2 guards and can hit the 3 point shot.

I wonder if Gaines knew his chances of sticking with us were limited at best, and he was trying to impress other teams with his play at Summer League? I don't mean other NBA teams - overseas teams, who have limited spots for American imports (who usually earn the biggest salaries on the team), prefer players who can dominate games and score at will, regardless of the position they play. Summer league players need to show overseas scouts they can be "the man" because that's what these teams need.

I wonder if Gaines knew his chances of sticking with us were limited at best, and he was trying to impress other teams with his play at Summer League? I don't mean other NBA teams - overseas teams, who have limited spots for American imports (who usually earn the biggest salaries on the team), prefer players who can dominate games and score at will, regardless of the position they play. Summer league players need to show overseas scouts they can be "the man" because that's what these teams need.

did he do any good during summer league? i heard he stunked it up?

I think Sundy sealed his fate in the summer league -- he was horrible in the games I saw.

Agree. Jazz can't hold on to Sundiata just because he hit one amazing shot. Fact is, he isn't a very good shooter. His offensive game consists of driving to the hoop, getting fouled, and then hitting 1 of 2.
Watson will hopefully be a good backup to Deron, with Price on the bench unless someone gets hurt.

I think Price and Gaines should be gone. I think people overrate Price because he played his college ball in Utah. Price has had several years to prove he can run the team and he has failed. He is an undersize SG in a PG body. Gaines was horrible in the summer league and has been living off the shot. Dude needs to practice his FTs and learn how to pass. Now that the Jazz have signed Watson, I think they should see if an unconventional PG like AK, Thompshon or Hayward can handle the 3rd string PG.

I think Price and Gaines should be gone. I think people overrate Price because he played his college ball in Utah. Price has had several years to prove he can run the team and he has failed. He is an undersize SG in a PG body. Gaines was horrible in the summer league and has been living off the shot. Dude needs to practice his FTs and learn how to pass. Now that the Jazz have signed Watson, I think they should see if an unconventional PG like AK, Thompshon or Hayward can handle the 3rd string PG.

Price is a solid man defender and has the ability to make big plays on defense. You don't get that a lot at the end of your bench. I think he'll stay.

Some good thoughts here.
Since Price is under contract, I don't think he goes anywhere, unless we decide to trade him as part of a package deal.
I see him as a good energy guy off the bench, but not part of a regular rotation. He's very streaky offensively, and better as a pesky defender from the SG slot. A steal, a strip, or a fast break can get him going. Use him when the rest of the team is flat, like the end of a long road trip, or in the 4th game in 5 nights, etc. I'm not looking to cut him, as he works hard on the court; he just isn't very effective running our offense as a PG...

Some good thoughts here.
Since Price is under contract, I don't think he goes anywhere, unless we decide to trade him as part of a package deal.
I see him as a good energy guy off the bench, but not part of a regular rotation. He's very streaky offensively, and better as a pesky defender from the SG slot. A steal, a strip, or a fast break can get him going. Use him when the rest of the team is flat, like the end of a long road trip, or in the 4th game in 5 nights, etc. I'm not looking to cut him, as he works hard on the court; he just isn't very effective running our offense as a PG...
This

Price is not getting waived. With luxury tax that would be like 2 million down the drain. I think that there is a fair chance he will be used in a trade to lower our luxury tax hit later in the year. He will likely be the 3rd string PG and a backup two guard against smaller backcourts and perhaps inserted if Sloan feels the Jazz have no energy.

Seconded. There's a spot for a decent 3rd PG, who may have to step up for a few games if/when Deron or Earl goes down with a sprained ankle, sore wrist, etc. I also like NotDeadYet's suggestion of inserting Ronnie when the team is playing flat. Price can inject instant energy. And you could use Evans the same way. Those guys may not be the most talented, but they could get the rest of the team playing a little harder by example.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we are all missing something here. Since we have a shortage of guys who can defend the SG position (CJ lacks lateral moves, as supposedly does Ryan Thompson and Gordon Hayward), the Jazz could be thinkin' of moving Ronnie Price back to the SG position. Possible?
If so, that leaves the door open for Sundiata Gaines to remain as our 3rd PG. Personally I'd rather see us keep Ryan Thompson around for that role as a combo guard. This should be an interesting camp; a LOT of new faces!

yikes!