What's new

Rookie vs Sophomores

The Rookies vs. Sophomore game is about the worst in the world. Rather none of our guys get picked. Want no chance of injury.

I don't think it is that great either. But, I think it's good for them to be in it because it could help their confidence. Especially Kanter and Favors, because they both were the number 3 picks. If they aren't in that game it could make them feel like they aren't living up to the expectations.

I like to watch it because it's a team of nothing but rookies! Every season I try to get good looks at the new rookies and the rookie game affords a decent view even though it isn't a real game situation. I like to see those guys try Magic Johnson All Star type plays. I took my daughter to the rookie game in 2000 and that was a load of fun.

Looks like they are merging it this year. So sophomores and freshman will actually be mixed on two teams. https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...e_To_Feature_Rookies_Sophomores_On_Same_Teams

If Shaq and Charles are picking the teams do you think we still will see our guys in there? Kanter and Favors shoud be obvious choices. What do you guys think?

I could see Shaq and Charles picking either player. I think Charles said that Kanter would be the best player in the draft class.

Looks like they are merging it this year. So sophomores and freshman will actually be mixed on two teams. https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...e_To_Feature_Rookies_Sophomores_On_Same_Teams

If Shaq and Charles are picking the teams do you think we still will see our guys in there? Kanter and Favors shoud be obvious choices. What do you guys think?

I could see Shaq and Charles picking either player. I think Charles said that Kanter would be the best player in the draft class.

I don't think Kanter's style of play is suited for the All-star game. Personally, I would rather all our players get some rest. All all-star games have become pretty boring, the NBA game is simply a dunk contest so I have stopped watching the game. I usually watch the game if there is a Jazz player in the game.

What I would like is for the NBA to make it a winner take all? Perhaps you would see players actually play defense. Or maybe a 3 on 3 game.

I don't think it is that great either. But, I think it's good for them to be in it because it could help their confidence. Especially Kanter and Favors, because they both were the number 3 picks. If they aren't in that game it could make them feel like they aren't living up to the expectations.

Not sure how a pick up game will boost their confidence. Likely only to give them bad habits.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/53472844-87/game-hayward-players-challenge.html.csp

In the middle of a second season full of ups and downs, Jazz forward Gordon Hayward has shown enough production and promise to be recognized on a national level.

Hayward was among a group of 18 players Wednesday chosen for the Rising Stars Challenge game between NBA rookies and second-year players during all-star weekend in Orlando.

Hayward was the only Jazzman selected for the Rising Stars game; second-year power forward Derrick Favors, and rookie center Enes Kanter and Alec Burks were all bypassed.

Hayward has struggled at times this season, but he still has been one of Utah’s best all-around players, averaging 9.8 points per game, 3.3 assists and 3.1 rebounds per game. He has started all season, and shown much of the promise that made him a lottery pick in the 2010 draft.

Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal will draft from the pool of 18 players for the Challenge game. It will be the first time in the history of the game that the rookies and sophomores will be mixed.

Wow- I was sure Kanter would be selected.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/2...-stars-2012-all-star-weekend-rookie-sophomore

ROOKIES: Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers), Derrick Williams (Timberwolves), Tristan Thompson (Cavaliers), Ricky Rubio (Timberwolves), Brandon Knight (Pistons), Kemba Walker (Bobcats), Markieff Morris (Suns), Kawhi Leonard (Spurs), Marshon Brooks (Nets).

SOPHOMORES: Blake Griffin (Clippers), John Wall (Wizards), Evan Turner (76ers), DeMarcus Cousins (Kings), Greg Monroe (Pistons), Gordon Hayward (Jazz), Paul George (Pacers), Landry Fields (Knicks), Tiago Splitter (Spurs).

I guess playing time is a requirement to get into the Pool.

Not sure how a pick up game will boost their confidence. Likely only to give them bad habits.

It's more than a pickup game. It's being named to an elite team of your class. It's reassurance that what your doing is being noticed by the league. That has to boost a players confidence. Don't make an event at all-star weekend just sound like a casual pickup game.

Yes and I'm sure Kobe and Lebron are picking up horrible habits in the All-Star game and it's just killing there performance.

Being chosen to play at the Jordan Challenge, or Mcdonalds All American game as someone that has had dreams all there life of being a star basketball player, must not be more than just a pick-up game.