What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

Go grab Naz Reid as the primary backup big. He would come relatively cheap compared to the alternatives and would fill a need going forward. I'm extremally confident in our big man development. Also, taking him away from Minny depletes tham and makes them older.

I bet he gets it too. Any decent FA in their mid 20s will get some dough this offseason. Especially 3 and D types. I bet Williams gets $20M a year... Cam Johnson likely $25M a year-ish. Its a lot, but I won't be surprised.

I think he likely gets it too. Would you be comfortable offering that much if you were the Jazz?

I think he likely gets it too. Would you be comfortable offering that much if you were the Jazz?
I'd rather have Cam at 25 than Grant at 20... if it was structured like Keldon's deal - starts at 20M and goes down 1M per year for four years... then I guess I would be fine with it. Its a deal you could move and looks good in 2 years when the cap is 50% higher. He's an easy guy to fit so it would have some trade value as long as he's healthy.

Go grab Naz Reid as the primary backup big. He would come relatively cheap compared to the alternatives and would fill a need going forward. I'm extremally confident in our big man development. Also, taking him away from Minny depletes tham and makes them older.
I like him too. He will get 10M per year though... so not cheap per se... I would personally target Naz and Austin Reeves and hope you could get them for 10M and they grow into 15M-20M type players.

We desperately need a home run in this draft... whether that comes by hitting the lotto and jumping into the top 4 or having one of the three picks be awesome immediately. I think we have a decent chance at making it happen.
No need to worry. We will loose a lot starting now and ended bottom 6 or 7. The 2 win against garbage team give some people the impression that we are too good for tank. I think they are wrong. Let's see in 25 games who is right.

No need to worry. We will loose a lot starting now and ended bottom 6 or 7. The 2 win against garbage team give some people the impression that we are too good for tank. I think they are wrong. Let's see in 25 games who is right.

There is only 23 games left and 7 of those are against SA and OKC.

I like him too. He will get 10M per year though... so not cheap per se... I would personally target Naz and Austin Reeves and hope you could get them for 10M and they grow into 15M-20M type players.
10 million is less than THT money. I'd sign him to a 4 year that averages 10 million. The last two years would be tremendous value, especially when the new TV deal drops.

I think 9 or 10 are most likely unless Lauri gets hurt. I would love to be wrong... so I'm rooting for ya.

10 million is less than THT money. I'd sign him to a 4 year that averages 10 million. The last two years would be tremendous value, especially when the new TV deal drops.
I would too because he can play with Kessler if we want to... He will get 25 minutes a night here. Provides some rim protection help and can shoot it. He is also pretty nasty in pick and roll and can work his way from the top of the key to the paint.

I just wanted to calibrate what "cheap" will be... and I think 10M is a nice deal for him.

I would too because he can play with Kessler if we want to... He will get 25 minutes a night here. Provides some rim protection help and can shoot it. He is also pretty nasty in pick and roll and can work his way from the top of the key to the paint.

I just wanted to calibrate what "cheap" will be... and I think 10M is a nice deal for him.
At this point I consider young players at 10 million or so a year on multi year contracts "cheap." Vand kinda scared me because his contract ended right when the TV money comes in. He will cease being cheap at that point.

We desperately need a home run in this draft... whether that comes by hitting the lotto and jumping into the top 4 or having one of the three picks be awesome immediately. I think we have a decent chance at making it happen.
With the assets we have a stand-up triple will be impactful. We can use remaining assets to add the walk-off HR.

One idea with our cap space this year is we could go acquire a guy like OG Anunoby or Dejounte Murray and do a renegotiate and extend deal. This is what Myles Turner did with the Pacers recently. You'd have to wait until the season started but hopefully could agree near the time of the trade. The way this works is you give OG or Dejounte (both making about 18M a year) a deal all the way up to the max using you excess cap space. So they go up to 40M for next year and then you can decline the contract by as much as 40%. So for OG it would be $40 next year and then say an average of $30M over the next 3 years and make it decline so its like 32/29/27... equals out to a 3 year 120M extension for him and our cap hit is $10M+ in the years that matter most. We can do the same thing with Lauri in a year but it likely would be a straight max instead of a declining value deal.

I'd rather have Cam at 25 than Grant at 20... if it was structured like Keldon's deal - starts at 20M and goes down 1M per year for four years... then I guess I would be fine with it. Its a deal you could move and looks good in 2 years when the cap is 50% higher. He's an easy guy to fit so it would have some trade value as long as he's healthy.
I think I would rather have Grant Williams at 20. I just love the way he plays. However, it does complicate things if we get Black or Wallace as a PG. With either one of those PGs and Williams, we would obviously need another superstar scorer with Lauri. Follow in the Celtics mold.

I think I would rather have Grant Williams at 20. I just love the way he plays. However, it does complicate things if we get Black or Wallace as a PG. With either one of those PGs and Williams, we would obviously need another superstar scorer with Lauri. Follow in the Celtics mold.
I think he is helpful against bigger wings but struggles with guards a bit. Cam is likely less helpful on defense but a better offensive player. We can likely find guys that play more with the ball in their hand to compliment Lauri/Kessler if we landed Black or Wallace (I worry more about Wallace). I think Black will be a wonderful connector and his size will work better in nba space.

Grant seems to be a smart dude and is about the right types of things. Lots of playoff experience for a young vet too.

We should have a bunch of options available to us.

Since Atlanta couldn't find a deal for Collins, does anybody think they would get desperate enough to sell Hunter in order to avoid the tax? (Someone please validate my crazy idea)
If they value AJ Griffin I could see it, they could recoup some of the draft capital they gave up for Murray

One idea with our cap space this year is we could go acquire a guy like OG Anunoby or Dejounte Murray and do a renegotiate and extend deal. This is what Myles Turner did with the Pacers recently. You'd have to wait until the season started but hopefully could agree near the time of the trade. The way this works is you give OG or Dejounte (both making about 18M a year) a deal all the way up to the max using you excess cap space. So they go up to 40M for next year and then you can decline the contract by as much as 40%. So for OG it would be $40 next year and then say an average of $30M over the next 3 years and make it decline so its like 32/29/27... equals out to a 3 year 120M extension for him and our cap hit is $10M+ in the years that matter most. We can do the same thing with Lauri in a year but it likely would be a straight max instead of a declining value deal.
I think this is really interesting and something that should be considered.