What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I don't think his offensive game is as diverse as Bogie but he's probably a better athlete/defender. Cam is solid but he's a role player, 3&D type dude.
Great shooter... has been a little limited in what he does in Phoenix. Solid defender. Kinda like Bogey but more athletic and a better defender. He's more of a SF than PF imo. Cam/Lauri/Kessler is a solid frontcourt.

He was injured earlier this season but healthy now.
He is one of the most efficient volume three shooters in the league, who is a strong defender, at a switchable position. He has shot 42+% from 3 on ~6 per game over the last two seasons. He is a team player, good locker room guy.

He is a bad rebounder, rebounding at 5.5 RP36. Not great, but Lauri/Kessler are both strong rebounders and I think the 3 would make a strong frontcourt. Cam's space would be ideal for Kessler's development.

Interesting question with Cam Jhonson and Gary Trent Jr is how much should be too much for their current teams not want to match (I know they aren't restricted free agents, but not like teams don't really talk with agents before really legally allowed to), but not too much that It is a bad overpay instead of Just enough to pry them away.

Interesting question with Cam Jhonson and Gary Trent Jr is how much should be too much for their current teams not want to match (I know they aren't restricted free agents, but not like teams don't really talk with agents before really legally allowed to), but not too much that It is a bad overpay instead of Just enough to pry them away.
Cam Johnson is a RFA and considering he was just the 2nd best player they got for Durant, I'd imagine it will take a pretty significant overpay to get him out of Brooklyn.

GTJ has an option for $19M, if he opts out I think he'll be seeking like 22.5-25M APY.

Imagine If he wants something around 20 or close to It, maybe 4 years, and the Jazz wanted more like close to 14 and 3 years. I wouldn't really wanna go much above 16 and 3 years.
I would guess the right number is like 3/65-70M . The cap is going up. The MLE is like 4/50... I am not sure what my walk number is but CJ McCollum got like 3/$100m

I trust Ainge won't get too wild with JC.

I think Agbaji / Cam could be a solid duo on the wing as 3&D type players, my only concern is that neither of them really provide a ton of playmaking so we'd need a really good PG to make it work.
I like Ochai... I am not sold yet that he is a piece you plan around. I need to see better defense. I actually think he can do a little more with the ball and the shot seems pretty nice.

I am going into 2024 with as much cap flexibility as possible. That means letting Clarkson walk.

I am building on
Kessler
Markkenan
Agbaji
Sexton
This years draft picks.

Players I want to see if they have a future

Fonticchico
Damien Jones
THT maybe (probably not)

Players this year i want to sign staying focused on 2024 cap flexibility

RJ Hampton
Cam Johnson
Grant Williams
Ayo dosunmu (sp)

Jazz have to spend some money. A lot depends on who gets drafted .

Cam Johnson is a RFA and considering he was just the 2nd best player they got for Durant, I'd imagine it will take a pretty significant overpay to get him out of Brooklyn.

GTJ has an option for $19M, if he opts out I think he'll be seeking like 22.5-25M APY.
I wouldn't send them a toxic offer sheet... I'd try and work a sign and trade. If Cam gets $25M+ it puts Brooklyn in the tax again... so if they don't move Cam they likely move DFS or maybe DFS and Joe Harris. I'd be interested in DFS too... I think we could work something out there.

I would guess the right number is like 3/65-70M . The cap is going up. The MLE is like 4/50... I am not sure what my walk number is but CJ McCollum got like 3/$100m

I trust Ainge won't get too wild with JC.

I'd rather offer near 25 a year at Trent Jr at a better age and defense (tho you still need the guy choose playing for you) than close to 23 to Clarkson.

I wouldn't send them a toxic offer sheet... I'd try and work a sign and trade. If Cam gets $25M+ it puts Brooklyn in the tax again... so if they don't move Cam they likely move DFS or maybe DFS and Joe Harris. I'd be interested in DFS too... I think we could work something out there.

Maybe we could send a high number but not really toxic offer, and sweeten for a sign-and-trade with lower upside pick, like a 2025 Cavs or the 3rd guy we pick with a first If we drafted with all 3 of them instead of a trade up and other thing(s).

Last edited:
It feels really ****ing good to have actual cap space and the most future picks in the league.
Interesting take and you clearly have lots of company. As for me, I want a team where what I am excited about is game night and the playoffs, not trade deadlines and draft day. This team did not have to be blown up to still be very good. If I were Kessler and Laurie I would be very clear that anytime in the next few years Ainge could well be doing the same to me that he did to my teammates. It is a business, but in a well run business there is a large core that know they are safe and valued. Smith and Ainge have blown up the Jazz culture. Hope it works

How good defensively is GTJ? I always hear it thrown around, but I've never noticed much when watching raptors games (I'm also not good at noticing perimeter defense). He's got good size for a 2 at least

We need a good perimeter defender who can score. I think Gary Trent is a good option but he'll be hard to sign. We need a decent PF I think there are plenty of options here. We also need a guy who can feed Lauri and play pick and roll with him. That one is really hard to find in FA.

We need to win next year, we can't keep tanking but that's easier said than done. FA is hard because we have to pay and if we're depending on it that makes it worse. We can make trades but we don't have a lot of salary to work with. We will get rookies but they are extremely unlikely to help us win next year.

Also in FA we shouldn't worry too much about what rookies we get, build a team to win without them and then find them some minutes and if they push the vet out, great make a trade or bump them to the bench.

I do think we are in a good place but it's a tricky off season. Especially when we kind of wasted this trade deadline.

Keep in mind we need to suck next yeah to keep our 1st rounder.
If we suck next year to keep our pick we need to suck even more in '25 to keep our pick and if we actually do, then even more the next year (and then we don't anymore, as OKC goes away emptyhanded). I definitely think we should go for being better than 10th (pick) next year, but not sure it will be easy...

I like grant williams but its all pretty meh.
Im curious why you didnt list kuzma and grant. I they are the best players i have hear about the jazz acquiring although the money they will command makes them pretty meh as well

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I like grant williams but its all pretty meh.
Im curious why you didnt list kuzma and grant. I they are the best players i have hear about the jazz acquiring although the money they will command makes them pretty meh as well

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I would like both if they want to be here depending on the price. But I think it's pretty well established Grant's preference is not Utah. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask in the off season.