What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

Temetrius Jamal Morant extracts pistols, levels them, and waives them about in an ill considered manner. This endangers the lives of strippers in his vicinity. I fear that Javier Peña from Narcos may have to rescue these ladies of ill repute, for he has demonstrated excellence in this endeavor.
Indubitably.

Brooks is probably the last player in the entire NBA I would want on the Jazz. Besides being the most unlikeable guy in the league, he's honestly just not that good.
A ****** personality and no talent? That's a double-threat guy!

As they should. unfortunately i think either he is untouchable right now or the price is more than I would want to pay. And Im someone who really really wants luka. They probably want something like 5 draft picks, lauri and kessler or something like that. Luka is a super duper star who is young and under contract (and not too expensive in the grand scheme of things) for multiple future years. they either keep him or ask for the biggest trade compensation in history.

As they should. unfortunately i think either he is untouchable right now or the price is more than I would want to pay. And Im someone who really really wants luka. They probably want something like 5 draft picks, lauri and kessler or something like that. Luka is a super duper star who is young and under contract (and not too expensive in the grand scheme of things) for multiple future years. they either keep him or ask for the biggest trade compensation in history.
Pretty much. It would empty the chest to get him if we don't trade Lauri and Kessler.

I have some skepticism regarding Luka. I mean, I’d support us getting him, but I’d have a bit of reservation on what that would look like on the long run and how good it could look. Giannis, on the other hand, I wouldn’t have those concerns about.

Wow!!
Isn’t it kinda an unwritten rule that when trading for a star it’s for other pieces and not your star?

Just curious. Would you trade Lauri and other young players not named Kessler and 3 picks for Luka? Two of the picks being future jazz picks and only one from cle or min?

I have some skepticism regarding Luka. I mean, I’d support us getting him, but I’d have a bit of reservation on what that would look like on the long run and how good it could look. Giannis, on the other hand, I wouldn’t have those concerns about.
Why? Because Giannis has won a chip?

I have a generalized kind of skepticism for anything that has your ceiling being entirely dependent on one guy. What I mean by that is if you commit to Luka, you go as far as he takes you. Right now he’s in the lottery, as amazing as he may be. It seemed like in the series we actually had a harder time beating then without Luka, mostly just because it becomes predictable when it’s a one-man show. I know everyone would say we’d have other guys and it’s not a one man show, etc., but I feel you can run more of a team system with a dominant guy like Giannis, even though he actually has higher usage. I don’t know maybe it’s just my perception.

But giannis cant shoot and you can employ hack a shaq on him as we saw in the playoffs this year. I would love love to get either dude but they both a few minor warts and are both generational superstar talents and mvp caliber players. I would probably prefer Giannis but not by much.
The players who are truly wartless are never ever gonna be traded with mutliple years on their deals. Im talking about prime lebron, prime steph, prime kobe, prime durant type dudes. Top 10 all time dudes. And giannis and luka are damn close to those guys levels and might even get there. Giannis has already proved his worth in the playoffs so I would prefer him to luka but he isn't getting traded. Of course neither is luka imo. its all smoke with no fire. Fake news.

Wow!!

Isn’t it kinda an unwritten rule that when trading for a star it’s for other pieces and not your star?

Just curious. Would you trade Lauri and other young players not named Kessler and 3 picks for Luka? Two of the picks being future jazz picks and only one from cle or min?
Idk. Probably not. But im an admitted jazz fan homer so I value our own guys more than most GM's probably do. I think Lauri is too good. I definitely throw kessler into a luka trade if the other pieces are right though.

What I mean by that is if you commit to Luka, you go as far as he takes you
Ya i think that the bucks dont go all that far without giannis tbh. Or the nuggets without Jokic. Or the warriors without steph. Or the jazz without Lauri for that matter.
Sorry bro but you almost always go as far as your star player takes you. Take AD off the lakers. Take tatum off the celtics. Etc etc etc. Ya if we got luka we would only go as far as he takes us but that is the same story for every team.

Ya i think that the bucks dont go all that far without giannis tbh. Or the nuggets without Jokic. Or the warriors without steph. Or the jazz without Lauri for that matter.
Sorry bro but you almost always go as far as your star player takes you. Take AD off the lakers. Take tatum off the celtics. Etc etc etc. Ya if we got luka we would only go as far as he takes us but that is the same story for every team.
I think Giannis and AD are superstars whether or not they have the ball in their hands or not. I think that is the difference. Tying yourself to Luka, Harden, and some of those types of dominant stars means the ball is in their hands way more and everything needs to suit that style and account for their weaknesses. So I think it’s a little different.

Overall I agree with what you are saying… if those guys suck or get hurt then you are going to sink… but i think it’s the fact you can use those guys in a variety of ways and they provide a ton of value on or off ball.

I have my reservations about all the potential star trades… the all in trades don’t have a great success rate ( most strategies don’t) but at least we can use picks from other teams and don’t have to mortgage our future.

That’s not exactly what I mean. What I mean is that as you add pieces around Luka, it doesn’t raise your ceiling as much as adding pieces around Giannis. Your team goes as far as Luka goes because adding more to the equation isn’t going to give you as much traction. Your dollar doesn’t go as far. We’re sitting on a couple good, young pieces (or at least Lauri) and a bunch of draft picks. That additional talent gives you more bang for your buck around Giannis. Giannis would occupy different lanes than other talent, whereas Luka kinda takes up the whole freeway.

I’m struggling to understand this “you can only go as far as Luka takes you” thing. Luka playing with Lauri and Kessler is a lot different than Luka playing with the Wood and Powell. It was a lot different simply playing with Brunson. Luka was in the WCF just two years ago! He wasn’t the reason they couldn’t beat the Warriors and advance lol.

I get that he’s a whiny baby and not exactly fun to watch….but he might be top 1 player in the league to trade for right now.

I’m struggling to understand this “you can only go as far as Luka takes you” thing. Luka playing with Lauri and Kessler is a lot different than Luka playing with the Wood and Powell. It was a lot different simply playing with Brunson. Luka was in the WCF just two years ago! He wasn’t the reason they couldn’t beat the Warriors and advance lol.

I get that he’s a whiny baby and not exactly fun to watch….but he might be top 1 player in the league to trade for right now.
I get that. Beggars can’t be choosers and if we’re fortunate enough to land him, I’d be happy. Just saying that it doesn’t entirely come with pure peace of mind for me.