What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

One of the key things for us will be to identify a player or two like Lauri that's better than the numbers suggest, they just need a bigger role. Look at Bridges, he's averaging 26/4/3 on 50/44/89 since he arrived in Brooklyn.

I hear ya... I just don't always believe what media and ownership say... I think they are monitoring all the situations... I think they look to be opportunistic... I just doubt they find a Big Star opportunity that matches that they can pull off. I think its easy to sell we are going to get a star and are in for a quick turnaround. Doesn't mean they are being dishonest because I think they are looking and will kick multiple tires. I think when the biggest stars become available they dictate where they get traded for the most part... and I see very few that would have us in their list of teams they'd accept.

We also don't have enough to do the KD trade... we have enough picks but Bridges is worth like 4 firsts himself and Johnson probably a pick or two.... unless you sell off Kessler and Ochai.

I see it being more of an organic growth type situation. A trade or two to add important pieces... like how Boston has added key pieces with a pick or two but maybe a bit more aggressive. I see us playing in trades more like the Dejounte Murray deal when they become available.

If Luka, Giannis, or Brown say they want to come here we will pay the price to bring them in... I just don't see that happening.

I still think there's a good chance we'll be able to land another star to pair with Lauri, but it will most likely end up being like a top 15-20 guy and not a top 5 or even top 10 guy. Like you said, the very top guys usually dictate where they want to be traded and none of them are going to want to come here.

It's a shame because there aren't many players in the entire NBA that would complement Luka better than Lauri.

I still think there's a good chance we'll be able to land another star to pair with Lauri, but it will most likely end up being like a top 15-20 guy and not a top 5 or even top 10 guy. Like you said, the very top guys usually dictate where they want to be traded and none of them are going to want to come here.

It's a shame because there aren't many players in the entire NBA that would complement Luka better than Lauri.
It's all about trading for guys when they still have years on their deal. Don definitely didn't want to be traded to Cleveland but he had no say in it because of how long his deal was.

If only there was a way to find that talent and have them under team control for 7+ years.

Regarding Luka, that’s the guy you go all in on if he’s ever on the market, but then you are competing with OKC in terms of asset horde and there’s a good chance it’s the last year of his deal.

Last edited:
It's all about trading for guys when they still have years on their deal. Don definitely didn't want to be traded to Cleveland but he had no say in it because of how long his deal was.
And he’s a (sometimes catastrophically) flawed player. And those situations very rarely come up. Especially situations where they are in their mid-20’s and not their 30’s.

Just going to the superstar supermarket with a wallet of cash sounds like a fine plan on paper, buuut…

Also OKC can beat our offer.

Last edited:
And he’s a (sometimes catastrophically) flawed player. And those situations very rarely come up. Especially situations where they are in their mid-20’s and not their 30’s.

It sounds like a fine plan on paper that you can just go to the superstar supermarket with a wallet of cash buuut…

Also OKC can beat our offer.
Chances to acquire star talent are few and far between for sure. Other than Brown I don't really see any top 20-25 player getting traded in the near future.

The Thunder only have 6 unprotected FRP's that they can trade. Their own picks in '23, '25, '27, '29 and the Clippers picks in 24/26.

We have 8 unprotected FRPs that we can trade. Our own picks in 26/28, the Wolves picks in 23/25/27 and the Cavs picks in 25/27/29.

Danny Ainge better be ready to be as spotless with moves as Masai Ujiri cuz the Jazz are gonna have to keep pulling rabbits and make very few mistakes.

For this off-season, kick tires on grabbing a star if the price is right, but quickly pivot to poaching Austin Reaves and Naz Reid.

Danny Ainge better be ready to be as spotless with moves as Masai Ujiri cuz the Jazz are gonna have to keep pulling rabbits and make very few mistakes.

For this off-season, kick tires on grabbing a star if the price is right, but quickly pivot to poaching Austin Reaves and Naz Reid.
Overpaying guys like Reaves and Reid is how we're going to put ourselves into contention?

Overpaying guys like Reaves and Reid is how we're going to put ourselves into contention?
Who said anything about overpaying? I also think Reaves would be a terrific fit as the starting 2.

Also, Jazz can have as much as ~$70 million in cap space this off-season and should spend some of it since they could be as much as ~$60 million under the salary floor (90% of the cap).

Being under the salary floor is a defensible rebuild strategy but that’s not what’s happening next year.

Of course going after an available star (that fits/isn’t a team-killing cancer) would be priority one. But availability is not something the Jazz control.

Who said anything about overpaying? I also think Reaves would be a terrific fit as the starting 2.

Also, Jazz can have as much as ~$70 million in cap space this off-season and should spend some of it since they could be as much as $60 million under the salary floor (90% of the cap).

Being under the salary floor is a defensible rebuild strategy but that’s not what’s happening next year.
The implication is that the only way to sign those two players is to overpay them. Otherwise they'll stay with their current team all things being equal.

Also, Jazz can have as much as ~$70 million in cap space this off-season and should spend some of it since they could be as much as ~$60 million under the salary floor (90% of the cap).

Of course going after an available star (that fits/isn’t a team-killing cancer) would be priority one. But availability is not something the Jazz control.
I think Reid is obtainable but I'm assuming Reaves will be back in LA unless someone throws him a blank check to leave.

We definitely need to stockpile solid players with manageable contracts so that if a star becomes available we can make it work financially

The implication is that the only way to sign those two players is to overpay them. Otherwise they'll stay with their current team all things being equal.
Considering our great track record in free agency I'm sure guys will be lining up to take team friendly deals with us.

I guess it depends on what the definition of “overpaying” is. I view it as getting less production than would be expected for the price.

In the case of Naz, the Wolves are in cap hell and he’s probably their most important reserve. So what’s overpaying to the Wolves (paying/being deeper in the LT) is different than it is to the Jazz. He’s worth the MLE and that would be really tough pill for them to swallow.

Reaves is a really complicated situation but I think he’s - to borrow from @Saint Cy of JFC - an (prime) Ingles level glue guy and I think the Jazz would benefit hugely from the acquisition. He’s also years younger than Ingles was as a rookie.

In either case, force them to pay more than what they’d want (a team-friendly deal).

If we think Naz Reid and Austin reeves are going to propel us..... I'd rather us of kept Vanderbilt and Beasley

If we think Naz Reid and Austin reeves are going to propel us..... I'd rather us of kept Vanderbilt and Beasley
The better options rely on being in and hitting the lottery or availability of a star which is not under the Jazz’s control. I obnoxiously loudly support the former proposition most of all. This is why I’m so ****ing salty about how this season has unfolded: getting to the next level without premium picks gets hard very fast.

Lastly, Reaves >>>>> Beasley and Naz > Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
I agree Reid is more obtainable than Reaves.

Not sure Reid helps the Jazz as much as other teams that need front court help. I mean, I suppose you could do a three man rotation of Reid/Kessler/Markkanen, but does Reid provide more actual value than doing the same with Olynyk? Just more potential years? Feels like a lateral-ish move to me. Would depend on what happens with Olynyk. Backcourt is the more pressing issue, particularly at PG. Feels like playmaking is the biggest concern in the backcourt, and I'm not sure Sexton, THT, or Clarkson if he's signed is the solution. They're shot creators, which is important, but you need a playmaker to get Markkanen the ball in the right spots. Not sure Reaves is that. Haven't really watched him much.

I agree Reid is more obtainable than Reaves.

Not sure Reid helps the Jazz as much as other teams that need front court help. I mean, I suppose you could do a three man rotation of Reid/Kessler/Markkanen, but does Reid provide more actual value than doing the same with Olynyk? Just more potential years? Feels like a lateral-ish move to me. Would depend on what happens with Olynyk. Backcourt is the more pressing issue, particularly at PG. Feels like playmaking is the biggest concern in the backcourt, and I'm not sure Sexton, THT, or Clarkson if he's signed is the solution. They're shot creators, which is important, but you need a playmaker to get Markkanen the ball in the right spots. Not sure Reaves is that. Haven't really watched him much.
Yeah I personally don't like the 3 big lineup of Lauri/Naz/Kessler