What's new

Roster weaknesses

oldtimer

Now that cuts have been made its clear we have two major holes on this team. PG and SF.

PG-- Burke (injured), Tinsley (old), Lucas (not good enough for Bulls)

SG--Hayward (many think shooting guard is his position), Burks (box of chocolates, same days caramel yum, some days coconut yuck), Clark (undrafted but potential), Rush (injured but if healthy could be very good)

SF--Marvin Williams (injured and was terrible last year) and Jefferson (after thought in GS)

PF-- Favors (stud on defense, offense??), Evans (pogo stick still developing jump shot and needs weight to play PF), Mike Harris (15th man and lucky to be on team and first to be cut)

Center--Kanter (potential number 1 but needs playing time to develop), Gobert (deserves to be the third big man and in the rotation with Favors and Kanter), Biedrins (I call him beans because he stinks)

Point guard and small forward are major problems. I have no idea why we didn't try harder to bring Neto over and we didn't wait for cuts before signing Tinsley. I think I would have preferred to give Marshall a chance over Tinsley. Regardless point guard is going to be problem until Burke comes back.

The biggest problem is small forward. Starting Jefferson proves how weak this position really is.

I think you have too look at this way.

Our PG's are going to be below average even after Burke gets back.

Our wing rotation of Hayward, Jefferson and Burks is going to be hopefully average.

Our starting Bigs- Kanter and Favors- are where we should have an advantage. However unless Gobert continues to get better at an astonishing rate our reserve big men are terrible.

Where did you see Harris made the team? I would rather have a number of guys who have been or will be cut.

Where did you see Harris made the team? I would rather have a number of guys who have been or will be cut.

It is all over the internet. Both the Trib and Deseret news had it. Just go to the news section of this forum.

Our news section has some great links. Wonderful addition by Jason.

I agree completely. Just saw it a couple of days ago. I no longer have to go to different news papers to read up on the Jazz. Jazzfanz.com is all I need for everything Jazz related.

I agree that PG and SF are our worse positions but you forgot to mention Brandon Rush. A rotation of Rush, Hayward, Burks and Jefferson is pretty good especially if Burks improves and Rush is healthy.

Marvin Williams was a huge disappointment last year but he was playing hurt too. I have no expectations towards him this year but no one 's what he may or may not contribute.

As far as Gobert goes, he will have his ups/downs but I've already seen big improvement. He makes the bench instantly stronger if he can contribute something.

Our PG is the major concern with Burke being out. It just goes to show you how dire our situation is that we are waiting for a rookie PG to save us. Burke's health and growth will be a major factor in whether the Jazz are competitive or worse than imagined. I still think Alec Burks is a better option at PG than Lucas and even Tinsley (certain situations). Hopefully, he will get some burn at PG which would make our PG situation slightly better.

I don't really understand why Harris made the team because he didn't really show anything to me. I know he is a warm body and that is why he probably made the team. Good for him. He has more time to prove me wrong.

The bench is deceptively strong everywhere outside point guard. Jefferson-Marvin-Rush-Hayward and Favors-Kanter-Gogert-Beeno-Evans are not rotations to balk at.

I don't see why we're nitpicking the hell out of this Harris-Cook 15th man on the roster stuff though. That's as petty as it gets, but hey, we are fanatical fans and that's what we do.

So what will our starting lineup be on game-day, a couple months into the season?

My guess:

Burke
Hayward
Jefferson
Favors
Kanter

Bench:

JLIII/Tinsley/Clark
Burks
Rush
Marv/Evans/Harris
Gobert/Beans

Lotsa what-ifs that could literally determine whether this team wins 15, or 45.

I think Burke having a great rookie campaign would completely change the complexion of this team. Probably the biggest X-factor IMO

I don't mind Marv. He's a good team-defender, and I imagine that he wouldn't be bad in an offense with more motion.

Yeah, I'm totally shocked to be saying this, but I like what I've seen of Jefferson in the starting group. He knows his role and where players are supposed to be. If he can shoot a respectable percentage from 3, then he's a great fit for the youth movement. I think Rush will have more fire power, and Jefferson gives us the luxury of saving that for the bench.

And, yeah, I think it's fairly obvious that Burke is the x-factor. He's the only person brought in to help with our worst position, he's a rookie, etc.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];683432 said:
Yeah, I'm totally shocked to be saying this, but I like what I've seen of Jefferson in the starting group. He knows his role and where players are supposed to be. If he can shoot a respectable percentage from 3, then he's a great fit for the youth movement. I think Rush will have more fire power, and Jefferson gives us the luxury of saving that for the bench.

And, yeah, I think it's fairly obvious that Burke is the x-factor. He's the only person brought in to help with our worst position, he's a rookie, etc.

Yeah, like, I'm totally shocked like whoa!

Shock and awe. Shock and aah! Jefferson is definitely Ty's man. He's a veteran who plays barely above basketball's equivalent of the Mendoza line. But he's a vet, damn it, and Ty will play him anyway. By the same token, after a solid pre-season, expect Ty to counter with heavy doses of Beidrins during the year and bench Gobert for 8-10 game stretches right after he does something positive in a particular game.