What's new

Rubio has to go to the bench

I typically complain about Rubio. I think on the whole he's been bad this season. Last night was a good game for him, though. A double-double, played well. Had turnover issues, but those were largely offset by good decisions and hustle plays, good defense. It was a good game for him. I wish he'd have more like that.

Right now he’s fine... when Rudy comes back I think he goes back being negative most nights.

I think Rubio is going to start improving. He will be helpful and needed when we make the playoffs this year. I love his effort and I think he is going to learn the players and system more and more and start getting the ball in the right place at the right time more and more. He has had almost a different person to try and play pick and roll with every few games due to injuries. He needs a chance to get in rhythm with a big that he has not had yet.

I would still trade him if we got something decent for him but if not next year he can be Exums back up.

I think Rubio is going to start improving. He will be helpful and needed when we make the playoffs this year. I love his effort and I think he is going to learn the players and system more and more and start getting the ball in the right place at the right time more and more. He has had almost a different person to try and play pick and roll with every few games due to injuries. He needs a chance to get in rhythm with a big that he has not had yet.

I would still trade him if we got something decent for him but if not next year he can be Exums back up.
I hope not. I hope we can find someone better. Six turnovers in a game by a PG whose role is to run the offense, not score, is unacceptable.

Rubio has never been to the playoffs and likely be the easiest PG to scout out of a game of any playoff team.

Rubio has never been to the playoffs and likely be the easiest PG to scout out of a game of any playoff team.
rubio has also never been part of a team with a winning record.

he's not going to improve. He's a backup pg in this league.

I wish he'd go to the bench as well.

Mostly because if this team ever gets ****ing healthy again, I'd like to see a starting unit of Mitchell/Hood/Ingles/Jerebko/Gobert and a bench of Rubio/Burks/Thabo/JJ/Favors. That 2nd lineup could be pretty potent.

hope yall enjoyd the first half of the game where rubio came out and bricked 7 straight shots in a row.

think we need,

hood, mitch, favors, gobert, and ingles. that will probably work for spacing. Idk why snyder kept forcing the triple brick lineup of favors, gobert, and rubio.
Not to mention, that a bench group of Udoh, Jerebko, JJ, Thabo, Burks, Rubio and Neto sounds pretty damn solid.

Last edited:
Why were we trying to fool ourselves? the dude has a CAREER average of 37% fg, 31% from 3. He's at 39% right now on this season. To top it off, the offense is obviously not jiving with his passing, which renders him absolutely awful for our team (-0.9 BPM, 0.3 VORP, 12 PER, career low in assist rate) The Jazz PG curse lives on.

This is where Dante's injury hurts, i feel as though he would have played better, and at some point this season, if not already by now, Quin would have pulled the trigger on placing Roobs on the bench.

I want to see, no I NEED to see the Ex/Mitchell tandem and whether it can be a legit situation.

Why were we trying to fool ourselves? the dude has a CAREER average of 37% fg, 31% from 3. He's at 39% right now on this season. To top it off, the offense is obviously not jiving with his passing, which renders him absolutely awful for our team (-0.9 BPM, 0.3 VORP, 12 PER, career low in assist rate) The Jazz PG curse lives on.
Nah, we got a rookie franchise player that can do it just fine.

Three non-shooters starting is the real problem we have, this has cost us some games and will keep doing so.
However look at Mitchell playing alongside Rubio and shining every day, week and now we can safely say, every month. Following a great November, he's posting 51/39/89 in the brutal month of December averaging 24 ppg.

So can we afford to make a major change like benching Rubio?

It's a tough time to decide what to do, not only for Coach Q but also DL. This team with Fav + 4 shooters had NBA's #1 ORTG during a ten game span after all, is probably already better than most people realize.. Though you can't make hasty moves when DM is under contract for 8 years and WC is bloodbath and GSW can't be beaten.

I still think the right move is to start a couple of games with the Favors/Gobert tandem with a trio of Mitchell, Hood and Ingles instead of Rubio, Mitchell and Ingles. Rubio will still play with Donovan in some lineups (preferably with Favors more than Gobert at center). I’m not necessarily looking to get rid of Rubio, but I think he’s a stopgap instead of a core piece.

Rubio is not a good shooter. His shot is flat. He tries to make crazy cross court fancy passes that often just get stolen.
If Gobert or Favors were good outside of 5 feet he could be a good point guard. They're not so he looks worse then he really is.
Rubio should be coming off the bench for the simple fact that he isn't a good shooter. In today's NBA if your a guard who isn't a reliable shooter then your a bench player. Simple as that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just curious, would you trade Rubio for Greg Monroe's expiring straight up?
One well-like player at a position of need for a guy that will rot on the bench and probably bring that rot to the locker room? For what, 2018 cap space? To spend on whom?

One well-like player at a position of need for a guy that will rot on the bench and probably bring that rot to the locker room? For what, 2018 cap space? To spend on whom?

Is Rubio needed for the 2018 season? To me, that has to be the question. If we have more faith in Mitchell, Exum and Neto running the point, why do we need Rubio? If we need a PG just for PG depth, we can find somebody who provides more than what he has this year.

Sure, I'd love to find a player to re-invest the money in - Parker, etc., but I don't have much faith that we will sign a big free agent. I'm just wondering if we need Rubio and his $15 million for 2018-19.