What's new

Rubio vs Conley

I’m patiently waiting to see what makes Conley so great. Are the grizzlies really that sad of a franchise that this better than average dude is their greatest player of all time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awwww, it's so cute when Jazzfanz base their opinion on something or someone because they're too young to remember the past 12 years of basketball. I see your confused right now and that you obviously don't remember or know what the Grizzlies "Grit and Grind" days were. It really wasn't long enough for a true NBA fan to forget, but it shows you knowledge depth or lack there of.

Awwww, it's so cute when Jazzfanz base their opinion on something or someone because they're too young to remember the past 12 years of basketball. I see your confused right now and that you obviously don't remember or know what the Grizzlies "Grit and Grind" days were. It really wasn't long enough for a true NBA fan to forget, but it shows you knowledge depth or lack there of.

Thank you for this!!

This season:

Conley:
14.7 PPG, 36.9 FG%, 34.3 3PG%, 2.6 REB, 4 AST, 2.7 TOV

Rubio:
13.6 PPG, 40.9 FG%, 37.5 3PG%, 6.3 REB, 8.7 AST, 2.7 TOV

:thinking:

"Conley is a better shooter."

Dude you're so wrong you could be republican, if we were in prison i'd do things to you that forum rules say i can't not because i want to but because you deserve it.

Should have kept Rubio! Better shooter, better defender, better re bounder, better passer.....and about 15 million dollars cheaper! Had our boys dunking there brains out, too! Set team records in the number of dunks we had and had Rudy breaking all time NBA single season record!

This isn’t an accurate comparison. It should probably be more like...

“Mike Conley vs Rubio + Crowder + Korver + Allen + 2 first rounders”.

With mike making $32M and Rubio making $16M, Maybe even wonder if we could have tried harder and kept favors, who we really could have used multiple times this year. By the same logic, have to wonder if we would have missed out on bojan , who has been great for us, without Conley. It’s all a twisted web, so it’s hard to compare.

anyway, it is what it is. Hopefully Conley can gain some consistency. I don’t think chemistry was the issue last night. He had A LOT of open shots/threes on catch and shoots that he frankly just clanked. That’s not really a chemistry thing. He mostly needs to get used to shooting from where Snyder’s offense generates shots. When he shot a few running floaters early in the game, they went in easily, because that’s the shot he’s had for the last decade.

Yep! He spent his last 12 YEARS with ONE team. So yea, coming to a new team, it's going to take him time to figure out the system and chemistry. This should be common sense, but common sense ain't so common these days! 2 good games for Conley this season and you've been laying goose eggs your whole life.

I am in the boat of hoping that Conley gets things figured out. We really need him to be good for this team to be elite. That said, I don't know how much of an argument you can make about him "figuring out the system" when he is missing wide open shots. I guess to a degree not knowing the system can make put you in tough spots to score points but like I said, missing wide open shots doesn't have much to do with that.

With mike making $32M and Rubio making $16M, Maybe even wonder if we could have tried harder and kept favors, who we really could have used multiple times this year. By the same logic, have to wonder if we would have missed out on bojan , who has been great for us, without Conley. It’s all a twisted web, so it’s hard to compare.

anyway, it is what it is. Hopefully Conley can gain some consistency. I don’t think chemistry was the issue last night. He had A LOT of open shots/threes on catch and shoots that he frankly just clanked. That’s not really a chemistry thing. He mostly needs to get used to shooting from where Snyder’s offense generates shots. When he shot a few running floaters early in the game, they went in easily, because that’s the shot he’s had for the last decade.
Good post. Should also factor in their ages into that first paragraph.

Ya the Grizzlies golden years of one deep playoff run was easy to forget about.

Agreed. I'm going to wait until the all star break and look at numbers then.
I firmly believe Rubio would do better with the team we have now but without Conley we don't have Bojan so there is no reason to even consider that. I believe Conley will get comfortable with the system and improve in all aspects of the game.
Playoffs are where I'm hoping Conley really makes the difference. By then he's totally acclimated and my money says we are clicking.

Is English your first language? Serious question.

I am in the boat of hoping that Conley gets things figured out. We really need him to be good for this team to be elite. That said, I don't know how much of an argument you can make about him "figuring out the system" when he is missing wide open shots. I guess to a degree not knowing the system can make put you in tough spots to score points but like I said, missing wide open shots doesn't have much to do with that.
This. I'm also not sure what not knowing a system has to do with blindly driving into traffic, jumping, then trying to figure out what to do with the ball. I'm seeing a definite "head-down" approach to his drives that make it hard to find an open man. Compare to Stockton or Nash, or even Rubio, who generally would drive head-up, watching the play develop to make the correct play. Conley, not so much.

Yep! He spent his last 12 YEARS with ONE team. So yea, coming to a new team, it's going to take him time to figure out the system and chemistry. This should be common sense, but common sense ain't so common these days! 2 good games for Conley this season and you've been laying goose eggs your whole life.

No doubt that it takes time to build chemistry.

However, with the grizzlies, Conley was the primary ballhandler and shot creator. That’s not his role with the Jazz. His age and contract are also concerns.

So while I think it’s obvious that Conley has been the better player than Rubio, I do think it’s legitimate to argue:

1. Conley might not be a good fit with Mitchell. Our guard line is now tiny and Conley doesn’t coexist well with another guard who needs the ball in his hands.

2. Conley’s age doesn’t justify the contract and will be a detriment to our team. Perhaps with a lesser player/contract, we could’ve signed someone better than the likes of Jeff Green or Mudiay?

I think it’s a lazy analysis to not take into consideration the two points above when discussing Conley.

No doubt that it takes time to build chemistry.

However, with the grizzlies, Conley was the primary ballhandler and shot creator. That’s not his role with the Jazz. His age and contract are also concerns.

So while I think it’s obvious that Conley has been the better player than Rubio, I do think it’s legitimate to argue:

1. Conley might not be a good fit with Mitchell. Our guard line is now tiny and Conley doesn’t coexist well with another guard who needs the ball in his hands.

2. Conley’s age doesn’t justify the contract and will be a detriment to our team. Perhaps with a lesser player/contract, we could’ve signed someone better than the likes of Jeff Green or Mudiay?

I think it’s a lazy analysis to not take into consideration the two points above when discussing Conley.
Agree. It's something more than just chemistry at this point. While seeing Conley missing all those wide open looks may give some of us hope of him not missing those looks the next time around, we have seen enough shooters who are simply better shooting off the dribble than the simple catching and shoot, which Quin's system relied heavily upon. How many times have we seen Conley passing up wide open looks for some extra steps of dribbling before gathering up again and shoot. Even DM and Bojan has been doing that a lot lately. The best players knocking down those simple catching n shoot on this team are Jeff and Joe, and both are not shooting at great percentage right now, which directly contributes to the lack of our offensive effenciency.

The value of a straight "catch and shoot" shooter like Korver was heavily underrated last year. His presence definitely helped us bounce back after a bad start into the season. Only if he could be 5 years younger...