What's new

Rudy Gobert "Greatest Jazz Center of All Time" Countdown Thread

There is also the argument for better training and nutrition, although I think that's a bit overblown. The average NBA player today takes analytical training and healthy nutrition much more seriously.

Mark Jackson is putrid **** and I can think of few things more perfect than Ernie Meenie aligning with him.
I'm not aligning with him. I'm agreeing with his opinion about Sloan, basically that Jerry was still coaching in the past and had not evolved with the progression of the game. I think that's what he was saying. So far as the other stuff about him being cancer, I can't comment one way or the other. But I think it did impact on AK's career because Sloan I believe was not a good coach for AK and didn't give him the freedom to play to the best of his ability, which you would've seen if you watched him play with the Russian team.

Right. But the average NBA player is probably considerably better now. Much more competition for about the same number of positions.

I seem to recall Bill Russell saying to Steve Kerr, "Back in my day, you wouldn't have been able to hit that shot to win the championship. Because you would have been sitting in the f***ing stands watching the game, not playing in it."

I seem to recall Bill Russell saying to Steve Kerr, "Back in my day, you wouldn't have been able to hit that shot to win the championship. Because you would have been sitting in the f***ing stands watching the game, not playing in it."
I think the game is much faster and the players more athletic today. That's one reason it's harder to block shots. But Russell was an unbelievable shot blocker. His timing was fantastic; used to block Chamberlain. And guys who tried to muscle him by using their shoulder still got blocked. Don't know how he'd do today though.

I think the game is much faster and the players more athletic today. That's one reason it's harder to block shots. But Russell was an unbelievable shot blocker. His timing was fantastic; used to block Chamberlain. And guys who tried to muscle him by using their shoulder still got blocked. Don't know how he'd do today though.

He'd be rich man's Udoh.

There is very little back to the basket style of play. Not even Favors posts up at all. There's less opportunity to block shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all with the idea that maybe Sloan was a little less adaptable than he could have been, but when you bring that snek Marc Jackson into it you lose credibility. I mean I think AK was miscast (partly because of how the league was then, and mostly because Deron came in and took over the team culture/identity) but Jackson has shown himself to be a lying, cheating, fat, fat, cheating, lying cancer. He did the same things as a coach. He built a terrible culture and has major insecurity issues. "The man is a walking cancer." - Marc Jackson voice.

Rudy had a stretch last year where he was dominating pretty much all of the best centers in the league, including cousins, who is a bruiser. Rudy has down games just like anybody else, but nobody muscles him on a regular basis. That hasn't been true for a couple years now.

I think Rudy has struggled at times coming back from injury when he wasn't yet 100% healthy, and some fans revert back to thinking he's getting bullied by tougher centers. There's nobody in the league who gets the best of a healthy Gobert on a regular basis.
Cousins is not a bruiser. He spends half the game at the 3 point line and a quarter whining. He occasionally does go to the post and once in a while plays physical. But it's not the all game wearing you down that guys in that era did.

I had nothing better to do so little bit copy-pasting from the Basketball-reference site.
Total Rebounds
1. Karl Malone* 14601
2. Mark Eaton 6939
3. Derrick Favors 4243
4. Rudy Gobert 4231
5. John Stockton* 4051
6. Greg Ostertag 3978
7. Rich Kelley 3972
8. Thurl Bailey 3881
9. Andrei Kirilenko 3836
10. Paul Millsap 3792

Blocks
1. Mark Eaton 3064
2. Andrei Kirilenko 1380
3. Greg Ostertag 1253
4. Karl Malone* 1125
5. Rudy Gobert 882
6. Thurl Bailey 879
7. Derrick Favors 772
8. Paul Millsap 520
9. Ben Poquette 517
10. Rich Kelley 498

Games: 402

I guess it might take 2 seasons to score more points than Memo who is currently on the 10th place on all-time Jazz points leaderboard.

Last edited: