What's new

Rudy Gobert "Greatest Jazz Center of All Time" Countdown Thread

Gobert got paid what people ready to give him. And he got traded with his salary. Can't be blame for what he got. When you win, money you get for it is never a problem. But when things don't go the right way people start to argue about salary... the problem of Minny is not Rudy salary, it's to build a team chemistry team with 2 bigs , a PG who have up and down and is not consistent and a team who don't put enough work on defense. But i still believe that they will make it once KAT is back. Time will tell.

Gobert got paid what people ready to give him. And he got traded with his salary. Can't be blame for what he got. When you win, money you get for it is never a problem. But when things don't go the right way people start to argue about salary... the problem of Minny is not Rudy salary, it's to build a team chemistry team with 2 bigs , a PG who have up and down and is not consistent and a team who don't put enough work on defense. But i still believe that they will make it once KAT is back. Time will tell.
I think the issue will be salary related going forward though, he got paid because he was playing at a DPOY level, he's currently not and it's hard to assume he'll regain form as he goes deeper into his 30s.

DLo is likely gone after this season and with KAT/Rudy on massive deals plus Ant due for an extension soon, they don't really have the cap flexibility to add key pieces to the roster. And they just leveraged all of their future draft capital for Rudy.

How do you over-rate an 4x All-NBA, 3x DPoY winner?
How? One could call him one of the greatest defenders of all time which is what so many around here said.

There are a number of players in the history of the game who could have gotten more awards if the entire team set up was built around them. Awards are overrated too. For crying out loud, Michael Jordan got a Defensive Player of the Year when he wasn't even the best defender on his own team.

How? One could call him one of the greatest defenders of all time which is what so many around here said.
You mean you have a long list of people who have 3+ DPoY wins and 4+ All-NBAs on the strength of their defense? I'd like to see that.

There are a number of players in the history of the game who could have gotten more awards if the entire team set up was built around them.
So, what's your list of these players?

Awards are overrated too. For crying out loud, Michael Jordan got a Defensive Player of the Year when he wasn't even the best defender on his own team.
Who on the Bulls was better at defense that year? Oakley? The award is not going to anyone playing less that half the game, and Jordan led the team in steals and in blocks.

Who on the Bulls was better at defense that year? Oakley? The award is not going to anyone playing less that half the game, and Jordan led the team in steals and in blocks.
A little somebody named Scottie Pippen was added to the Bulls in 1987. Jordan won the DPOY for the 1987-88 season.

In a largely unathletic league where most everybody just skipped the ball around the horn or fed it down low, Jordan just played passing lanes or stripped bigs. Pippen would completely lock down the opposing team's best player then MJ would feast on bad basketball. It's what they did under Phil Jackson pretty much their whole time together. Phil even said that Pippen was the best defender on the team.

Allen Iverson led the league in steals one season. Did he deserve a DPOY or did everybody just realize that the rest of the 76ers were busting their *** on defense so Iverson could play passing lanes?

All that money but could not work on his offense? That's the problem... He rather practice boxing then learn to dribble and work on a shot of any sort.

A little somebody named Scottie Pippen was added to the Bulls in 1987. Jordan won the DPOY for the 1987-88 season.
Pippen was a rookie who played less than 21 minutes a game. He became an excellent defender, but he was mostly potential in his rookie year.

In a largely unathletic league where most everybody just skipped the ball around the horn or fed it down low, Jordan just played passing lanes or stripped bigs.
Better than anyone else in 1987-88, from what I can tell. By the way, how did playing the passing lanes or stripping bigs lead to leading the team in blocks?

Pippen would completely lock down the opposing team's best player then MJ would feast on bad basketball.
Later on, sure. That first year, Pippen wasn't a starter, and played most of the minutes Jordan was on the bench, as well as alongside him.

It's what they did under Phil Jackson pretty much their whole time together. Phil even said that Pippen was the best defender on the team.
I have no trouble believing Jackson said that when he took over. The Bulls coach in 87-88 was Doug Collins.

Allen Iverson led the league in steals one season. Did he deserve a DPOY or did everybody just realize that the rest of the 76ers were busting their *** on defense so Iverson could play passing lanes?
I guess Jordan being DPoY was based on more than just steals.

Pippen was a rookie who played less than 21 minutes a game. He became an excellent defender, but he was mostly potential in his rookie year.

Better than anyone else in 1987-88, from what I can tell. By the way, how did playing the passing lanes or stripping bigs lead to leading the team in blocks?

Later on, sure. That first year, Pippen wasn't a starter, and played most of the minutes Jordan was on the bench, as well as alongside him.

I have no trouble believing Jackson said that when he took over. The Bulls coach in 87-88 was Doug Collins.

I guess Jordan being DPoY was based on more than just steals.
Jordan was a great player on both ends. He was a player from the early 2000's thrown in an era when nobody knew what to do with a guy who played like he did. He had controlled athleticism and he played in all phases of the game. Hardly any players of that 80's era were doing that.

I'm not taking away anything from Michael Jordan. The guy was damn good. Doesn't mean he didn't win awards he didn't really deserve. He averaged 3.2 steals and 1.5 blocks for the 1987-88 season. Admirable numbers.

He led the league in steals per game (3.16) but there were 3 or 4 guys within striking distance. Our very own John Stockton played 6 less minutes a game and averaged like .2 steals less than MJ.

Look at Hakeem in 1987-88: 2.1 steals per game and 2.7 blocks per game in 4 less minutes a game than MJ who averaged 3.2 steals and 1.5 blocks per game. Hakeem was #9 in the league in steals and #4 in blocks. MJ was #1 in steals and outside the top 15 in blocks. Hakeem had the #1 defensive win shares in the league. Oh, and he got over 12 rebounds a game.

Jordan was a great player on both ends. He was a player from the early 2000's thrown in an era when nobody knew what to do with a guy who played like he did. He had controlled athleticism and he played in all phases of the game. Hardly any players of that 80's era were doing that.

I'm not taking away anything from Michael Jordan. The guy was damn good. Doesn't mean he didn't win awards he didn't really deserve. He averaged 3.2 steals and 1.5 blocks for the 1987-88 season. Admirable numbers.

He led the league in steals per game (3.16) but there were 3 or 4 guys within striking distance. Our very own John Stockton played 6 less minutes a game and averaged like .2 steals less than MJ.

Look at Hakeem in 1987-88: 2.1 steals per game and 2.7 blocks per game in 4 less minutes a game than MJ who averaged 3.2 steals and 1.5 blocks per game. Hakeem was #9 in the league in steals and #4 in blocks. MJ was #1 in steals and outside the top 15 in blocks. Hakeem had the #1 defensive win shares in the league. Oh, and he got over 12 rebounds a game.
Wow Jordan must have been fantastic at defense that year to win DPOY with such tough competition, you are right!

Wow Jordan must have been fantastic at defense that year to win DPOY with such tough competition, you are right!
Jordan won a lot of his awards due to Nike, Gatorade and the fact that the league was desperately trying to create a bigger market with the upcoming decline of Bird and Magic.

Gobert won a few awards because the entire system played to his strengths while trying to limit his weaknesses. Rudy was really good, but many of you vastly overrated him. Like I said originally, Rudy Gobert is like a modern day Mutombo.

I think you called it correctly and Gobert was the greatest or second greates center of all time. Mark Eaton was better than many peole give himcredit for and I would probably still rate him #1 but have not looked closely at thew stats. However, Kessler has the tools to surpass them both.

From a stats and accolades perspective pretty sure it goes like this:

1. Gobert
2. Eaton
3. Okur
4. Tag?

And then other people because we have always been pretty thin at center. An argument could be made that Eaton is still above Gobert, but the DPOYs tip the scales, imo.

Now, where Kessler ends up, that will be fun to see.
There’s got to be someone ahead of tag, favors for starters
Tag sucked Borchardt was better or Pete Chilcutt or even Keefe
This is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen on here. Borchardt probably played half a season in however many years he was here. Pete Chilcutt? Idiot!! He was worthless and gave the jazz nothing. Keefe… he never played center and primarily was a sf even though he would’ve been better off at pf. At the end of the day Tag was hit or miss. But he did come through in some big moments. Was a decent rebounder and rim protector when he felt like it and was better than most at guarding Shaq in the post largely to all that blubber he had. Haha

This is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen on here. Borchardt probably played half a season in however many years he was here. Pete Chilcutt? Idiot!! He was worthless and gave the jazz nothing. Keefe… he never played center and primarily was a sf even though he would’ve been better off at pf. At the end of the day Tag was hit or miss. But he did come through in some big moments. Was a decent rebounder and rim protector when he felt like it and was better than most at guarding Shaq in the post largely to all that blubber he had. Haha
You know what makes you an idiot ? The ignorance you have at the center position

Keefe started at center in the finals against the bulls. Stupid

Borchardt had the skill but wasn't healthy
Seikaly was sought after to fill our void.
Gilliam, should I go on ?
Fesenko, Araujo?
Gobert was great at defense but a scrub on offense. Ainge knew it, traded his over paid one dimensional self for a way better well rounded center in Kessler.

Do you have any idea how much Posters Tag has been on ?
Dudes wanted to put the hammer to his scrub ***. Gobert and Tag overpaid scrubs

You know what makes you an idiot ? The ignorance you have at the center position

Keefe started at center in the finals against the bulls. Stupid

Borchardt had the skill but wasn't healthy
Seikaly was sought after to fill our void.
Gilliam, should I go on ?
Fesenko, Araujo?
Gobert was great at defense but a scrub on offense. Ainge knew it, traded his over paid one dimensional self for a way better well rounded center in Kessler.
a bit harsh