What's new

Rudy Gobert rookie extension

stormkoopacv03

If Rudy keeps vastly improving and playing very well for the Jazz. What would the Jazz offer him? AD got 145m/5yrs and Dame got 120/5yrs on their rookie extensions. Would 100m/5yrs be enough to keep him around?

Assuming he keeps improving and playing like he has he will be maxed out. That will depend on if he makes all star games/all nba teams and the cap that season. But most likely it will be more than what AD got.

He'll get the max. Whatever that is. I'm sure he'll make an all defensive team, and win defensively player of the year. If that matters any.

Now I wish we could sign ridiculous 10 year contracts again.

Here you go Rudy. 10 years 1 billion dollars

By the time his comes up, 5 years $100 million. Similar to Butler's. Full max, but not a Lillard/Davis level deal. Don't know if Rudy will make the criteria needed for that. If he does, he'll still be worth it. It will be easier to retain Hayward and Favors if he doesn't though. Those two and Hood are going to get paid in a couple of years.

Also, I'm thinking that Trey Burke is worth a helluva lot more as an asset now that we've seen how much cash teams are willing to spend on average talent. Kind of curious to see what Dellavedova and Jingles end up getting.

By the time his comes up, 5 years $100 million. Similar to Butler's. Full max, but not a Lillard/Davis level deal. Don't know if Rudy will make the criteria needed for that. If he does, he'll still be worth it. It will be easier to retain Hayward and Favors if he doesn't though. Those two and Hood are going to get paid in a couple of years.

Also, I'm thinking that Trey Burke is worth a helluva lot more as an asset now that we've seen how much cash teams are willing to spend on average talent. Kind of curious to see what Dellavedova and Jingles end up getting.

Rudy could get significantly more than that. Remember, both the owners and players can opt out of the current CBA in 2017, so things could change. The cap will be considerably higher anyway, so maxes will be a lot more.

Last edited:
Depends. If he makes an all-star game he can get more money, probably something similar with defensive awards too. Not sure what the max will be for him.

5th year 30% max criteria AKA Derrick Rose rule

A Designated Player may be eligible to earn 30% of the salary cap (rather than the standard 25%) if he passes certain criteria. To be eligible, the player must be voted to start in two All-Star Games, or be named to an All-NBA Team twice (at any level), or be named MVP. Officially titled the "5th Year 30% Max Criteria"[2] it has been dubbed (and is more commonly known as) the "Derrick Rose Rule" after the 2011 MVP,[13] due to the fact that when the criterion was introduced, Rose was the only player in the NBA eligible to sign the maximum extension (due to his MVP award).

Soooo Rudy Gobert becomes a restricted free agent in 2017. Meaning we can offer him a contract at the beginning of the 2016-17 season or after the season if he declines to sign. Here are some projected numbers for the cap space in those years 2016-17: 89 million. 2017-18: 108 million

Because we drafted Gobert we can offer him 5 years. So at the beginning of the 2016-17 season we could offer him the max of 22.25 million a year (111.25/5 years) or at the end of the season 27 million a year (135/5 years). These numbers are based on if Gobert doesn't make two all-star or all nba teams by then as well.

I think I got that correct for the most part.

So the projected '17 cap is $108M.
If he doesn't fulfill a criteria of the Derrick Rose provision, his starting salary is going to be roughly $25.43M. With 7.5% increases, a 5 year contract would be worth approximately $147.7M in total. CA$H MONEY? Yip! Take Qualifying offer? Nope!

Soooo Rudy Gobert becomes a restricted free agent in 2017. Meaning we can offer him a contract at the beginning of the 2016-17 season or after the season if he declines to sign. Here are some projected numbers for the cap space in those years 2016-17: 89 million. 2017-18: 108 million

Because we drafted Gobert we can offer him 5 years. So at the beginning of the 2016-17 season we could offer him the max of 22.25 million a year (111.25/5 years) or at the end of the season 27 million a year (135/5 years). These numbers are based on if Gobert doesn't make two all-star or all nba teams by then as well.

I think I got that correct for the most part.

I think the mistake you made is that you took 25% of the projected cap. But to determine the number of a max contract's starting salariy, you have to take the following into account:

* In general, the maximum player salaries are based on a 42.14% of Basketball Related Income (BRI)
Salary Cap (not on the 44.74% Salary Cap). For the 2014-15 season, the Salary Cap used for purposes of
calculating maximum player salaries is $58.984 million
per https://www.nba.com/media/CBA101.pdf

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2t4bq5/max_salaries_for_the_top_2015_free_agents_with/

This is a pretty badass writeup on reddit, that covers almost every possible scenario for free agency, salary caps and max contracts.

Unbelievable money in these things. More than many superstars of yesteryear made in their entire career, paid out in a single season, or even a single game maybe? Unfathomable. Inconceivable!

We and Rudy need to stop counting our chickens before they hatch. To reach AD levels, he needs to develop an offensive game. We saw what happened with AK, who had already been voted to the All-Star and All-Defense teams at Rudy's age -- he never developed after that.

With that said, I am looking forward to see what Rudy does. He certainly has that edge and attitude that AK didn't have.

I'd have no issues with offering Mr. Gobert some of you alls unborn children.

We and Rudy need to stop counting our chickens before they hatch. To reach AD levels, he needs to develop an offensive game. We saw what happened with AK, who had already been voted to the All-Star and All-Defense teams at Rudy's age -- he never developed after that.

With that said, I am looking forward to see what Rudy does. He certainly has that edge and attitude that AK didn't have.

AD's salary is based on a % of about 68 million cap. Rudy will be getting paid when the cap is around 108 million. I hope to God you're not suggesting Utah might let Rudy walk when he gets a huge offer. He very well may not be eligible for a Derrick Rose max, but he will still get paid a ridiculous amount, and as long as he stays healthy, Utah will be the ones paying him.

Depends. If he makes an all-star game he can get more money, probably something similar with defensive awards too.

Nope:
....start in two All-Star Games
....or be named to an All-NBA Team twice (at any level)
....or be named MVP once

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];1076421 said:
I did not know Gobert contract is up. When is deadline to extend or he becomes free agent?

I'm assuming it's on 17-18 season. But I'm not sure though.