What's new

Rudy Gobert, the GOAT of the dunk!

I love Rudy and he dunks a lot. I am glad he got the record. However, No one compares to Wilt. Dude average huge numbers. As an old Fart I watch the NBA back then and I enjoyed it. There were not as many teams and not much TV exposure but there were a lot of great players. Something else I liked is they had a pre-taped one on one tournament that was show at Halftime. So you got some of the best players going against each other. Instead of having to watch some dumb halftime show.

Based on the meager available footage of Wilt, his offensive game was a lot of layups, finger rolls, and hook shots. He obviously was a dunker, but not in the way people were later. They just didn't dunk as much back then, and certainly not with the kind of power(and rim-hanging) you see today. I think dunks were just considering showing off.

Comparing the Stockton and Malone pick and roll that produced numerous dunks, to the Rubio to Rudy pick and rolls that have resulted in numerous dunks, it would seem that Rudy would end up with more dunks simply because that play is specifically designed to end up a dunk, whereas the Stockton to Malone pick and roll could end up a dunk but also more times than not would end up a Malone layup or stop and pop. Both are extremely hard to defend when executed with the current precision and know how. Stockton to Malone pick and roll would also create tons of 3 point plays more so than the Rubio to Rudy pick and dunk. Rudy's shooting percentage has to be higher than Malone's whereas Stockton to Malone's pick and rolls produced a ton more free throws. Both shows were/are a joy to watch, and can really only be stopped successfully if the opponent brings a baseball bat to the game and kills one of them! That's my two cents on the matter.....anyone want to add a third cent?

I love Rudy and he dunks a lot. I am glad he got the record. However, No one compares to Wilt. Dude average huge numbers. As an old Fart I watch the NBA back then and I enjoyed it. There were not as many teams and not much TV exposure but there were a lot of great players. Something else I liked is they had a pre-taped one on one tournament that was show at Halftime. So you got some of the best players going against each other. Instead of having to watch some dumb halftime show.
Yeah the dude averaged 40-50 points per game for multiple seasons, career 30 ppg. I'm sure a good 1/4 of his points came on dunks just from the 20-odd games I've watched. That's likely in the neighborhood of 4 to 6 dunks per game. Extrapolated for 80 games (injury or whatever) you get well over 300 in a season. I don't think this is a stretch at all.