What's new

Running advice...

bigb

Free at last!!!
Contributor
My daughter is going into 9th grade and has decided that she wants to try out for the high school soccer team, as a freshman. One of the requirements to be able to even try out is to run a 7:30 mile, in cleats on the grass. She’s currently a little north of that.
What is the best way to get her time down? A couple thoughts we had:
•Run at the 7:30 pace as long as she can, then slow down to finish the mile as fast as she can. With each passing week, she should be able to go longer at the 7:30 pace.
•Run two to three miles at a slower pace, but still pushing herself, getting faster along the way.
•Run two to three miles, adding sprints into the run randomly (I think this is ineffective for this).
•Run as far as she can at something like a 7:00 minute pace, then slow to a 7:30 pace for as long as she can, then slow to an 8:00 pace, etc. until she makes a couple miles.
She’s using a treadmill for now, but will eventually transition to the street. She has until school gets started again in August to make this happen.
Thoughts?
@Ron Mexico

You have some decent basic ideas here but I’ll try to send a thoughtful response later.

How fast is she able to run a mile now in cleats on grass?

That sounds pretty rough for a ninth grade girl. Maybe try distance? I used to jog 5 miles in hilly terrain in 40 minutes. I'm sure i could have done a single mile in under 6. But my jr. high "fun run" in p.e. was a mile and a quarter, and 7 minutes was exhausting.

Don’t use a treadmill.

The training part won’t be too hard. Is her problem with getting to that time more of a speed issue or more of an endurance issue? Like...is she getting tired halfway through and just out of energy, or does she have enough energy she just isn’t moving fast enough?

If it’s endurance, then just have her start running more (outdoors) and she should be fine. Put in 8-10 miles a week.

If it’s a speed issue, then this is what I would do (and she’s gonna hate it, but it will work).

Run an 800 about as fast as you can. Then a 600 as fast as you can. Then a 400 as fast as you can. Then a 200 as fast as you can. Then a 100 as fast as you can. Eventually build up to where you can do that exercise twice. She’ll probly be walking by the end, and that’s ok. 2-3 minute rest in-between runs. Eventually do this twice a week in conjunction with distance runs.

Ahh running, been too long and not long enough.

How far off the pace is she? Mostly just run a solid amount (strongly recommend street/trails over treadmill). Since she's just starting out maybe ~2 miles a day 5 days a week, can move that up to 3-4 miles over the course of the summer. If the speed still isn't there you can mix in interval work like JTT said, but I doubt you'll have to add much speed to get down to 7:30, I imagine it's mostly an endurance issue.

I think you have some solid ideas. Honestly the best thing is to get in plenty of running between now and then. The things I would recommend the most would be 4 things. Running in a treadmill is fine and will be helpful but I would recommend running on the grass as much as she can.

1. Long slow distance running. Dont worry about the pace/time, just run a longer distance. Get her running 2-3 miles so that 1 mile is very easy.

2. Interval training. Run at a much faster pace than required and then slow down in between to a jog or even walk pace. Have her run at a 6 min pace for a quarter mile at a time walk/slow jog for a a 2 min X4.

3. Get her stronger with workouts. She should be doing some sort of workout program. I would recommend if she isnt doing anything to start with just body weight stuff. Do body squats, walking lunges, and planks a couple times a week. She should aim for higher volume lower weight. Something like 3 sets of 20 reps for the squats and lunges. If she is already doing that type of stuff progress to some basic weights with good form.

4. Is work on running technique in general. Find some videos online and work on running correctly or find a place that trains that type of stuff. There is a place called Athletic Republic in Lehi that is pretty good with that type of stuff. That is the only place I know of in Utah County. Along with that doing other type of footwork drills will be very helpful.

A 7:30 mile in cleats is not easy for a kid. It's not easy period.

In fact isn't the army's 2 mile run requirement for men like 16 - 17 minutes on a track in sneakers?

We don’t want all of our personnel overseas to embody Private Snowball for Christ’s sake.

In the Navy it's adjusted for age, but a 19yo has to be able to run 1.5mi in 12:15, which requires a pace just above walking fast, imo. You do have to jog to make it, but it can be a pretty slow jog.

Interval training. It was the best thing I ever did for increases in speed and stamina. And work out where the activity will take place. I got modest gains on a treadmill, but I got much higher gains running wind-sprints on the basketball court, like that. So run on the grass, in cleats, in intervals.

My fastest mile was 5:15 in 10th grade.(pats self on back). Not great i guess, but pretty good.

Here are my tips.

1. Lose weight. Not saying anyone is fat, but if you are. Thats gonna slow you down. Might be the most effective way to get where you need to be if there is weight to be lost.

2. Proper rest and nutrition is very helpful.

3. Practice running the mile. You need to map out in your head where you are at on a constant basis so you can keep track of real gains and take notice as to what is working and what isnt. Also, knowing when to start sprint, how fast to start, etc... If you incorporate some strategy it can shave some time.

4. Run hills. Pick some steep ones. That will get your legs and cardiovascular strong.

5. Leg presses, squats, lunges.

I would suggest intervals, it mimics the game. Better if you place the ball in front of the post and let her shoot after intervals. Works well as reward.

How's she with the ball?