What's new

Game Thread (Scrimmage) Jazz @ Suns.......or Suns@Jazz BASKETBALL IS BACK!!!!

Added to Calendar: 07-23-20

It just seemed to me our regulars were getting scorched last night, so why not let the tyros have a shot? We've seen this picture before. The organization talks nice about the young players but no PT from the coach.

It just seemed to me our regulars were getting scorched last night, so why not let the tyros have a shot? We've seen this picture before. The organization talks nice about the young players but no PT from the coach.

Don't overreact to last night. The Jazz didn't really try on defense until the 3rd quarter. Rudy was coasting all game.

Tucker always seems to either try a deep 3 or go for a highlight dunk. I liked Brantley, hope he will get more time in next two games. Boler back in shape, couldn't tell the difference between those two.

Because they both have the same hair style, both had white headbands, both are jacked and both have single-digit numbers on their jerseys. Plus, the crew was calling the game off the jumbotron. He still should have noticed the difference though.

Brantley is a legit triple-threat player--shoot, pass, drive. He can score in different ways and create for himself when plays break down. Morgan is very limited off the dribble.

Brantley has a 3-ball, step-backs, floaters and inside finishes with either hand. His problem is that he's been a bit passive on defense, and he turns it over too much when he's the primary ball handler. That shouldn't be a problem if they put him in a Georges Niang-type role.

Pretty much agree up until the last sentence.

I think the Jazz role for the 4 is to work outside in: has to be able to hit a 3 before being able to make use of other skills. Niang was a versatile, all-over-the-court threat in college, but until he solidified the 3-ball and proved he was a threat there first, he didn't fully fit the Jazz's scheme. In the Jazz's system, I don't think Brantley's 3-ball is ready to unlock his versatility yet.

The Jazz's guards all looked pretty good last night. Mitchell, Conley, Clarkson and Mudiay all showed that they could find ways to score. So there's that.

I think the Jazz role for the 4 is to work outside in: has to be able to hit a 3 before being able to make use of other skills. Niang was a versatile, all-over-the-court threat in college, but until he solidified the 3-ball and proved he was a threat there first, he didn't fully fit the Jazz's scheme. In the Jazz's system, I don't think Brantley's 3-ball is ready to unlock his versatility yet.

This may be true, but the Jazz don't really need Brantley to open up his dribble-drive game or handle the ball much. If Brantley can be a 3D forward who can guard 3s and 4s, like a PJ Tucker, that would be a huge plus for the Jazz right now. He'd need to hit around league-average on his 3s (35% or 36%). He was doing this during his last 10 G-league games of the season. We know he can attack a close-out and make a play from there. The key for him right now is defense and knocking down shots from the corner.

He should certainly be better at this than Tony Bradley.

Last edited:

Like favors?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app