What's new

Season heading towards returning

I think the NBA is going to try to start the 20-21 season in December and use the NFL/NCAA football as a guinea pig for how to include fans.

Even if they do resume, they aren't going to come anywhere close to recapturing that amount of money. I think it's smarter to plan for the next season and start that up as early and SAFELY as you can. That way all teams can get back to playing, not just the playoff teams.
They will recapture $900 million of it in national TV money for playoffs alone.

My issue with all this is that if you have this whole mess makes it almost impossible for the 2020-21 season to start on time. Last year, the playoffs took exactly 2 months: Apr 13 to Jun 13.

Now, if what they're saying about a mid-July return comes to fruition, even if they just abandoned the idea of any sort of regular season games being played, we are talking about playoffs going until mid to late September. Unless, of course, the NBA decides that rusty, formerly quarantined players ought to play every other day, and even then we're talking about a month and a half. How could you possibly start the next season in late October?

And if you don't and try to still play the full season and do the thing people have talked about where you have the season run from December to August, what about all the other stuff that affects? The Tokyo Olympics? We have international players on the Jazz. What about the college season not aligning any more? Are you going to hold the draft in September when college classes have already begun?
Next season was never starting on time. Expect December, probably around Christmas before it gets underway.

Then next season is also a shortened one, like 1998-99? does NBA need 2 titles with asterisks next to them?

Uhh because the estimated costs would be around $2 billion if they don’t. The cap would likely drop nearly $30 million for a couple seasons and force smaller market teams like us to more likely lose players sooner than we should. The cap dropping that significantly specifically impacts the Jazz in a very negative way. Both in the tax bill, and also in terms of Donovan’s contract. It’s an outside possibility because the players association would likely try to smooth it out over several seasons but if the cap drops $30 million. Donovan’s contract is based off of 25% of the cap. If the cap is $90 million and not $120 million for the year his cap % is based off of, he’ll sign a shorter deal and wait for the cap to recover and sign the 5 year big money after its recovered. You want him to be an UFA in 2 years? I certainly don’t. The NBA needs to finish this season. The implications of not doing so are killers.

Now the likelihood is the NBA nor players union wants the cap to drop that much or players who are supposed to get paid those years to get screwed so they’ll work something out so the cap doesn’t drop 2 years and then spike. But if the season doesn’t return it is a possibility guys like Donovan would sign a 3 year contract with a player option for the 3rd year so they can opt out and get paid when the cap raises again.

No one wants to lose the season. Not players. Not owners. Not the league. The financial implications are very heavy.

It would cost more money to lose next season.

Plus I'm not even interested in seeing the rest of the season anyway since our season ended with the Bogey surgery.

Next season was never starting on time. Expect December, probably around Christmas before it gets underway.

If they restart in mid-July there's no chance next season starts by Christmas. Too much to cram into that window.

I really don't understand the NBA obsession with finishing the season. Just cancel the damn thing and have a new, normal season start in late October.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wonder how motivated the players are going to be.

they'll be highly motivated. Only issues I see are those players at higher risk due to some medical conditions some players might have that put them at high risk with Covid. Some players in that category may choose to not play. I don’t know?

Let’s say they start July 1. That’s 3.5 months time off...which means if they played everything out normally, it would end around October 1st.

If it was me, I’d put all playoff series at 5 games. That would save about two weeks. I think it would also open up the possibility for upsets in series even greater which would interest me more. Most fans too I think. The whole season would then end mid-September.

They could then start next season around December 1-15, giving teams 2.5-3 months off rather than 4. Not like they need that extra rest. There wouldn’t be all the international summer **** which half the players play. So 2.5-3 months off would be enough. I’d also switch next season to 78 games having each team play 3 games against conference opponents outside of the division. Not sure owners would be on board with that but that would save a week. You could also do even less games and make it 66 games so that each team plays their out of division conference foes two times each making it more equitable. This would help shorten the season by a good month.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would simply cancel this season and move on. The only reason for doing anything at this point is $$. Cancel it now and start 2021 in Oct on schedule.

Why not have the season be like a Las Vegas Summer League? Cancel the rest of the games and throw every team into like a 3 week tournament? That way they can get some TV money, the risk of injury is going to be less, and the rest of next season will be semi-normal.

Are they planning on finishing the regular season or move straight into playoffs tournament?

If it were me, I would simply cancel this season and move on. The only reason for doing anything at this point is $$. Cancel it now and start 2021 in Oct on schedule.

They have 2 billion reasons to finish the season somehow. If it were you, you'd want to play again and not pass on that.

Plus I'm not even interested in seeing the rest of the season anyway since our season ended with the Bogey surgery.

I'm interested in sneaking by OKC and Miami in the draft order and then beating OKC in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind dropping to the 6th seed and drawing Denver and LA Clips either.