What's new

Shaun Powell @ NBA.com picks Jazz #5 in West?

I think it's possible. The Jazz are ridiculously deep right now. Lots of teams have great players buck lack any real depth (the Miami Heat as a prime example). The reason I think that the Jazz will be really good this season in that teams simply cannot compete with the level of overall depth. There will be really no significant drop off in the level of play on the court this year when our starters are replaced with our reserves. Most teams don't have that ability. Here is another question: what should be done with Jeremy Evans? Personally, I want him to start at small forward. I want this depth chart:

PG: Devin Harris, Earl Watson, Jamaal Tinsley
SG: Gordon Hayward, C.J Miles, Alec Burks
SF: Jeremy Evans, Josh Howard, Paul Millsap
PF: Derrick Favors, Paul Millsap, Jeremy Evans
C: Al Jefferson, Enes Kanter, Derrick Favors

Notice that I didn't list Raja Bell anywhere on that depth chart. I want the Jazz to either force him into retirement or simply use the amnesty clause on him. He should not be getting time over any of the players currently at shooting guard or small forward.

Pretty bold call by Powell. The Jazz are now being "professionally" predicted to finish anywhere from 5th to bottom three in the west. Its going to be a wild ride.

Pretty bold call by Powell. The Jazz are now being "professionally" predicted to finish anywhere from 5th to bottom three in the west. Its going to be a wild ride.
Very bold. But MTC is correct; the schedule favors the teams with young legs and good depth. It could go either way. Favors lloks ready to dominate. And the Jazz already have two near 20/10 players in Millsap amd Jefferson. Imagine if Howard returned to even 70% of the player he once was and Hayward found the stroke he had at the end of last season. Utah could surprise a lot of people.

Or we could see the team struggle with the new defensive scheme and have the young players not be as good or improve as much.

People are making too much of young legs. Yes we have young legs, but they are also extremely inexperienced legs.

lol @ the Lakers falling behind the Spurs and Blazers.

Waaayyyy too much is being made of the Clippers. #2 in the west? Are you kidding me???

Personally, I think it's between the Mavs, Thunder, and Grizz.

Funny how nba "experts" are. We are blown out by porty on the road and barely squeak by them at home yet we're predicted to finish ahead of them... lol...

I think it's possible. The Jazz are ridiculously deep right now. Lots of teams have great players buck lack any real depth (the Miami Heat as a prime example). The reason I think that the Jazz will be really good this season in that teams simply cannot compete with the level of overall depth. There will be really no significant drop off in the level of play on the court this year when our starters are replaced with our reserves. Most teams don't have that ability. Here is another question: what should be done with Jeremy Evans? Personally, I want him to start at small forward. I want this depth chart:

Notice that I didn't list Raja Bell anywhere on that depth chart. I want the Jazz to either force him into retirement or simply use the amnesty clause on him. He should not be getting time over any of the players currently at shooting guard or small forward.

YOU SIR, is a genius. Oh btw, Bell is probably starting.

The problem will be that the Jazz will play like the #1 seed one night and the #last seed another.

They'll be like the CJ Miles of Basketball teams...

It definitely is a bold prediction. I don't see it happening, of course, but it's not completely crazy.

Top four are likely to be Mavs, Thunder, Grizzlies and Clippers. Lakers will still likely be good and can break into that top four easily.

The rest has to be completely up for grabs. In the Pacific, only the Kings should be bad. GSW and Phoenix can also be bad, but they could fight for playoff spots.

In the Southwest, I'm high enough on Gordon to think the Hornets can vie for a playoff spot. They could also be really bad. Spurs are a Duncan injury away from missing the playoffs, but they'll likely be in. Houston is a mess.

In the Northwest, Denver isn't guaranteed a spot. Minnesota could surprise, but that's it. Portland could be good. But they're a bit brittle and relying on guys to take bigger roles.

Jazz could play for a spot in the playoffs.

Not going to happen.
They will have a successful season if they grab the 8th spot.
If it did happen I would be very happy, but I really doubt it.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. I'd be happy to make the playoffs... I'd be ecstatic if we finished 5th or better in the west. Like cyrone said young doesnt always equal better.

#5? Hey, why not? How good do we expect our players to be anyway? Let's see:

PG: Harris has been an all star, and hasn't had the kind of injury that would ruin his mobility. (yes, he got hurt but not 'memo hurt'

SG: Everyone thinks that Burks will be an all star and Hayward will have a very good career.

SF: Howard has already been an all star, and though he was injured badly, he seems to be recovered. CJ is obviously talented, and makes a good backup.

PF: Everyone thinks Favors has superstar potential, and he's shown enough to be optomistic. Millsap, if coming off the bench is one of the best bench players in the league.

C: Al has already shown the ability to be a 20 and 10 player. That's plenty. Then there is Enes, who Charles Barkley said was the best player in the draft.

Random others: Pogo man Jeremy Evans has no position, but causes all sorts of havoc on the court. Raja seems to have improved his attitude, and if anyone can teach Burks how to defend, it's Raja.

The only real weak spot is the point guard, and as I've mentioned in other posts, I think this team needs to get assists from ALL positions, not just the point guard.

So I think the playoffs are a real possibility even this year IF everyone lives up to the hype.

I do think the playoffs are possible, but I was thinking more along the lines of a 7 or 8 spot, not 5. The 5th spot would be awesome, and it's not outside the realm of possibility, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll be happy if the make the playoffs at all, and satisfied if they don't because it means another lottery pick. Good stuff on the horizon either way, but obviously we play to win.

To summarize, its going to be a **** show of a season and a wild ride, I couldn't be more excited. Personally, I've waited decades for this kind of Jazz team; ultra young talent, cap flexibility, assets and draft picks. This can go a lot of ways buts its gonna be fun to watch, IMO.

Solid rotation! I could see Evans playing bench minutes as a starter. Last year I remember the starters always getting off to slow starts the first half of the year. I see Evans as a guy who brings energy to the team and home fans, and a guy who shuts the fans up on the road.