What's new

Should Ainge be part of the Jazz?

Should Ainge be in the Jazz FO?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not really a big deal given his history with Celtics and that team. But it's not like he is a teenager who has to go to the game in a jersey. At his age and position he has with a Jazz now it's not the best look. But he's not been famous for being a very sensitive person anyway.
As to the question in the poll I find it hard to answer cause what bothers me is how seriously is he treating the job with the Jazz. If he is really commited I believe that he could do a lot right things for us but if this is just a gig to make him feel still active at his old days but it doesn't really care that much than I would rather let someone else do the job.
Like he should just be a paid advisor... or sit on the board of directors or some ****. I agree with this.

There are so many smart dudes that would kill for the opportunity to absolutely grind and we got a part timer.

Like he should just be a paid advisor... or sit on the board of directors or some ****. I agree with this.

There are so many smart dudes that would kill for the opportunity to absolutely grind and we got a part timer.
Just because you "grind" or try hard doesn't mean it makes you better.

We had a bunch of FO guys who did the "grind" to get us Tony Bradley, Doke, do the Conley trade, sign Favors to that stupid deal, etc.

Just because you "grind" or try hard doesn't mean it makes you better.

We had a bunch of FO guys who did the "grind" to get us Tony Bradley, Doke, do the Conley trade, sign Favors to that stupid deal, etc.
I wouldn't call DL a grinder, though. He was pretty much a system guy.

I wouldn't call DL a grinder, though. He was pretty much a system guy.
Grinders are the dudes out finding the gems or using every second round pick they can... DL was more a culture type dude. I remember him selling seconds or using them on guys that really had no shot. DL was a stick with the guys we got type.

I saw in another twitter post that was mocking the DA in Boston thing saying "nah DA is just out there to catch some open golf at Brookline". It was some miller family sports employee. So 1 week before the draft, FA, trade season, also while we are in the midst of finding a new head coach... our head honcho is taking in some golf and hanging out with his old co-workers... didn't have energy for the day to day but he will crush it for us while he's on his summer vacation.

This is reminding me of when I worked as an engineer at Nike headquarters for a few years. When I was interviewing new candidates they straight up had a checkbox on the review form asking if the interviewee came in wearing adidas branded clothing.

Also had to sign an agreement to only wear Nike, converse, or Hurley branded clothing (or non-visibly branded stuff), or you would be asked to leave.

Crazy times lol

Grinders are the dudes out finding the gems or using every second round pick they can... DL was more a culture type dude. I remember him selling seconds or using them on guys that really had no shot. DL was a stick with the guys we got type.

I saw in another twitter post that was mocking the DA in Boston thing saying "nah DA is just out there to catch some open golf at Brookline". It was some miller family sports employee. So 1 week before the draft, FA, trade season, also while we are in the midst of finding a new head coach... our head honcho is taking in some golf and hanging out with his old co-workers... didn't have energy for the day to day but he will crush it for us while he's on his summer vacation.

Meh....the Jazz always brought in a million guys in the predraft process and were one of the only teams that held NBA FA minicamps. Also brought the SL to Salt Lake City and was here when acquiring the Stars. The Jazz also bought a lot of second round picks, and buying/selling picks is as much an ownership thing as it is a GM. Can't really argue with the results either, building a really good team almost exclusively on the margins. DL failed at a lot of things, but this type of criticism has always fallen flat to me.

I mean if I was amicably divorced and remarried I might spend time with my ex-wife cuz we were together a while and have kids together... but if I was in her house wearing my old his and hers robes... then I might get some weird looks from my current wife.
It's more like if she invited you over for your kids graduation celebration or your son's championship game and you wore a "proud dad" shirt or something...

I really don't see the huge problem here. This is the very least of the problems with this team.

Meh....the Jazz always brought in a million guys in the predraft process and were one of the only teams that held NBA FA minicamps. Also brought the SL to Salt Lake City and was here when acquiring the Stars. The Jazz also bought a lot of second round picks, and buying/selling picks is as much an ownership thing as it is a GM. Can't really argue with the results either, building a really good team almost exclusively on the margins. DL failed at a lot of things, but this type of criticism has always fallen flat to me.
I think he worked hard... don't think he was a grinder per se. Its a vague term. DL just seemed like the guy that orders the same thing at the restaurant every time... which is what I do. Its comments like when they sold the early second round pick to Memphis that there wasn't anyone he liked or they didn't want to bring in too many young guys that kinda make me think he maybe left a little on the table.

I have no desire to rehash his tenure though. It doesn't irritate me that much that Ainge is out hanging with his old compadres but it doesn't look great and its just kind of awkward for both teams imo.

It's more like if she invited you over for your kids graduation celebration or your son's championship game and you wore a "proud dad" shirt or something...

I really don't see the huge problem here. This is the very least of the problems with this team.
I'm fine with this... its just weird imo. A little "look at me... I did this... remember I deserve some credit". Meanwhile I'm like "hey we have some really important stuff over here I think you should look at".

To each their own.

Trying to and mostly succeeding at not overreacting, but it definitely wasn't necessary, definitely is a bad look for everyone, and because of those reasons reflects poor judgment.

Also, maybe this is the elephant in the room, but everyone ages, even the most genius people in the world. Saying nothing of his cutthroat nature and probably still radioactive reputation among executives, It's worth seriously considering that Ainge may have really once had it and no longer does. And/or no longer cares.

Trying to and mostly succeeding at not overreacting, but it definitely wasn't necessary, definitely is a bad look for everyone, and because of those reasons reflects poor judgment.

Also, maybe this is the elephant in the room, but everyone ages, even the most genius people in the world. Saying nothing of his cutthroat nature and probably still radioactive reputation among executives, It's worth seriously considering that Ainge may have really once had it and no longer does. And/or no longer cares.
Ainge is former Jazzman Andy Toolson's brother in law.

I'm fine with this... its just weird imo. A little "look at me... I did this... remember I deserve some credit". Meanwhile I'm like "hey we have some really important stuff over here I think you should look at".

To each their own.
Oh it's definitely a bit self-serving and self-congratulatory. But honestly... at least he's earned it... especially if the Celtics invited him, which I assume they did... he didn't just show up to crash their party. He built that team. I have no problem giving credit to people who put the work in and consistently made good decisions.

But again... I wish this was our biggest problem... that our new GM is a bit too proud of his achievement and willing to flaunt it.

And I mostly think its funny... but you bet your *** I'm filing this away in my brain for if **** doesn't work out with the Jazz and Danny as one of the tea leaves we should have looked at.

Oh it's definitely a bit self-serving and self-congratulatory. But honestly... at least he's earned it... especially if the Celtics invited him, which I assume they did... he didn't just show up to crash their party. He built that team. I have no problem giving credit to people who put the work in and consistently made good decisions.

But again... I wish this was our biggest problem... that our new GM is a bit too proud of his achievement and willing to flaunt it.
Yeah... this is a fun distraction to yell about before other more important stuff happens that we will yell about.

As a person who runs a business, I couldn't imagine going to a competitor business wearing their gear. Thats just me.

Earned it? They didn't accomplish anything until he left. He built some star studded teams that turned out to be nothing more than duds.

This entire Celtics team was drafted by Aingle. Tatum, Brown, Smart, Robert Williams, Grant Williams, Pritchard... Even in the old days Ainge got a gem in Rondo who was 21st pick in a very weak 2006 draft to supplement the big three. He was also known to be one of the only guys who wanted to move up in the draft to get Kobe before the Lakers took him.

The one thing that the Jazz desperately need is to draft better and Ainge is certainly one of the best in that business

Well, the second thing we desperately need to do is have picks. Does no good with no picks.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Well, the second thing we desperately need to do is have picks. Does no good with no picks.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
If Ainge actually did the thing he should then he could get a ton of picks. He's good with that move... he's done it before.

I think he is more an educated yes man for Ryan at this point. The money is good... the job is close to home... and he can do what he wants in relative obscurity. If it works out he gets "atta boys" if not he can say it was JZ or someone else's fault. He's in a great position.

The age factor is a big thing. My concern with both he and Wade is I’m not sure yet how much “skin” they truly have in the game. I know Wade is a part owner, though I don’t know how much and he still spends a lot of time with the Heat organization it seems to me.

On the other hand, we have to have open communication and can’t burn bridges or damage relationships between our team and the rest of the league (especially right now due to our situation) and if some on here think we’re being petty, I could totally see the Celtics or Heat start being petty once they see Ainge or Wade “fighting” for another team. So overall, I’m okay with it.