What's new

Should convicted perpetrators of domestic violence be allowed to play in the NBA (Or other professional sports leagues)?

As a business owner, I can say that I’d never hire someone who had been convicted of a serious crime in the area of my business. I wouldn’t hire a guy who got caught stealing tools or supplies from job sites. I wouldn’t automatically rule out a person convicted of domestic abuse, but it would make that person less desirable. They may be more experienced or better qualified than option B, but option B may get the job.

Depends on the job. I have a friend who is a welder and has been in and out of prison a handful of times (a bunch of felonies) and everytime he gets out he almost immediately has a job

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Welders, good ones, are in high demand and many of their work locations are ******.

There's a reason basically no restaurant drug tests their staff.

When the economy is good the U.S. military has a hard time getting recruits, so they offer all sorts of waivers for things like previous drug use, criminal offenses, physical fitness, etc.. When the economy is bad and a lot of people look to the military for an opportunity there's essentially no such things as waivers.

It all depends in the end.

I think the NBA has enough potential people who would die for an opportunity to play that they should lay down the law on this ****. Make clear that domestic abuse is automatic disqualification from any chance in professional sports. The NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, MMA, etc., should run ads during their events condemning domestic abuse and saying that domestic abuse and a career in professional sports are mutually exclusive.

As a business owner, I can say that I’d never hire someone who had been convicted of a serious crime in the area of my business. I wouldn’t hire a guy who got caught stealing tools or supplies from job sites. I wouldn’t automatically rule out a person convicted of domestic abuse, but it would make that person less desirable. They may be more experienced or better qualified than option B, but option B may get the job.
What do you do?

Electrician

As an employer i would pass on that employee. Mind you I employ hospitality staff, the majority are women, I don't want some woman hating **** near my business. That said 1 in 5 men beat their wives, its ****ing horrid.

As an employer i would pass on that employee. Mind you I employ hospitality staff, the majority are women, I don't want some woman hating **** near my business. That said 1 in 5 men beat their wives, its ****ing horrid.

unless you live in Pakenham where it's more like one in 2

I'm not trying to be cute here but I heard, not from reliable sources or anything, that Australian men are kind of cruel and/or abusive towards women. Obviously this is a relative issue so maybe within the culture there's no way to judge, but do you think that's true?

I'll give more context. It was as a U.S. Navy sailor pulling into Perth (I believe that's your neighborhood) being told by the old timers that the reason Australian women like American men is because we're so much nicer and more respectful to women than Australian men are. That said, I never heard a single reliable story of a Navy sailor hooking up with an Australian woman who wasn't being paid for her time so I didn't see any examples of Australian women being into American dudes.

Kind of a tangent but I'm a horrible eavesdropper and them Australian ladies talk frankly about sex loudly on the transit train. I got the impression Australian women are much less sexually repressed than American women are just based on overheard conversations. I am a legit eavesdropping criminal though. If eavesdropping had the same legal consequences as peeping I'd be in prison.

I'm not trying to be cute here but I heard, not from reliable sources or anything, that Australian men are kind of cruel and/or abusive towards women. Obviously this is a relative issue so maybe within the culture there's no way to judge, but do you think that's true?

I'll give more context. It was as a U.S. Navy sailor pulling into Perth (I believe that's your neighborhood) being told by the old timers that the reason Australian women like American men is because we're so much nicer and more respectful to women than Australian men are. That said, I never heard a single reliable story of a Navy sailor hooking up with an Australian woman who wasn't being paid for her time so I didn't see any examples of Australian women being into American dudes.

Kind of a tangent but I'm a horrible eavesdropper and them Australian ladies talk frankly about sex loudly on the transit train. I got the impression Australian women are much less sexually repressed than American women are just based on overheard conversations. I am a legit eavesdropping criminal though. If eavesdropping had the same legal consequences as peeping I'd be in prison.

At present 1 to 2 women a week are killed by their domestic partner (in a country of 25 million people that in comparison to the US has a very low homicide rate.) The leading cause for hospitalisation for females between 18 and 40 is domestic violence. 80 percent of all women who access crisis support have been the victim of domestic and or sexual violence. So yeah we have a problem. In our state after this event

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Batty

A bunch of new laws were put in place some are very good but they could further be improved. We were doing a program at work to really start to highlight and protect patients and were appropriate staff from this but the nurse driving it left to do indigenous outreach work and the program died.