What's new

Should the Jazz persue DeRozan?

DeRozan with 34 points on 22 FGA in the biggest game of the series.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The point of maxing him is to make the team better. DeRozan lead his team to a 56 win year. That is better than any year of the Deron/Boozer years here. We also have a better team than toronto with him. Stars dont just fall into your lap. Jazz have not had a star since Stockton and Malone. They might not get another one any time soon. Why not try and get the best players you can. If we can win 56 games next year with the upside we have we are looking pretty good. Derozan is better than Hood by a decent margin. Hood may develop into a player of his caliber but he is no where near his level yet. Having an all-star on this team and another almost all-star in Hayward and hopefully Favors next year we will be a really good team. We also still have a lot of potential in 4 more players: Exum, Hood, Lyles and Gobert.

People on this board want to cash all our assets in again for a chance at a star. Then we will be 4-5 more years away from competing for a title and that star will leave before we even get close. Make this team as good as you can and if by chance you can pull the trigger on a disgruntled star then you pull the trigger if it doesn't gut your entire team.

Crazy to me that people would say no to an all-star player that lead his team to 56 wins. Which by the way is better than OKC this year.
What about....
So should the jazz max Hayward, derozan, favors, gobert, exum, and hood?
Cause there is a chance that there is/will be virtually no difference in those players ability to help a team win games.

DeRozen may be just what the Jazz need. It will help Hayward by splitting the D. They can feed off each other

Some of you must not watch ball very often. they way of 2 big guys that have to be down low because they have no range-----Going out the door.. Watch how the game is played now...Id like to DD with Utah in the small ball lineup with Favors at center.. As a bball fan first and foremost this lineup would be exciting to watch vs GSW

Exum Curry
Hayward Klay
DD Barnes
Hood Iggy
Favors Green

That be some fun ball

Man that be fun to watch
That new legalized marijuana law is working out well for you I see...

I have convinced my self derozan should be the target. With derozan being the focus of defenses lowry has flourished. I believe hayward would have a similar climb.

What about....

Just saw this. We have cap room to sign some of them. Others have not proven they deserve a max salary yet. I dont find a reason to guess that a player might break out and need a max contract, wait until that happens and pay the players now. The cap is going to keep going up and max contracts will continue to look better in the future. Get as much talent as you can get and deal with the rest later. If you sign DeRozan and Hood breaks out and deserves max and is better then DeRozan then you trade him for assets. Also some of those players will be RFA and we can see what their market value is without stressing about losing them for nothing.

Why would he leave after reaching ECF?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using JazzFanz mobile app

Why would he leave after reaching ECF?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using JazzFanz mobile app

Not to mention more attractive options then Utah. Plus we don't need him. I want to see more 3 wing lineups with Hayward Burks and Hood. All three can share pg duties taking pressure and mins from the developing Exum. This will spread the defense out too thin on the wing, and offer support that Hayward needs. Don't care to see any major moves this off season. The Jazz should use the first half of the season to decide what's needed to improve the team. That would be like taking the cake out of the oven and spreading the frosting

I would be all about seeing a huge acquisition this off-season if it made sense. But after seeing DeRozan in the playoffs I wouldn't say that he is the right piece. I probably would have thought that he was in the regular season but since the playoffs I haven'g seen that killer instinct that I used to think he possessed. If the Jazz do make a move we need to acquire someone that is accomplished that can not derail us from our path.

The simple answer is, yes. The Jazz should absolutely pursue DeRozan this offseason. DDR would be a #1 option on this team. Pretty sure that the Jazz top need is a #1 option on offense. And they don't have to sacrifice any assets to get him - in fact, adding him gives them another asset for down the road if needed. DDR takes pressure off of Hayward and pushes both Burks and Hood to the bench. Jazz would go from one of the worst benches in the league to one of the best in just an offseason.

Gobert, Favors, Lyles, Hayward, Hood, DeRozan, Burks, Exum and Mack. That's a really solid rotation if Exum comes back healthy and strong. Add a center who can score behind Gobert (Gasol maybe?) and you've hit the major needs moving forward - a #1 option on offense, a deep and veteran bench that can score points, and solid players two deep at all 5 positions. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a decent one. While everyone else is busy chasing Durant, the Jazz should have DDR and Gasol both visit day one and roll out the red carpet. Sell them on the vision of a young team on the cusp of taking a big step towards contending and needing that "missing piece". I feel confident that Quin Snyder can take DeRozan's game and elevate it like he did with DeMarre Carroll, who was the same age when he got to Atlanta that DDR is right now.