What's new

Should The Jazz Target Zach Lavine?

I think Tyler Herro could put up similar #s on a much cheaper trade.

Actually just ran a side-by-side comparison and Herro is younger and on a better contract. Could be had for cheaper and has a little bit better defensive numbers.

herro also isn't nearly as good. doesn't score at the volume lavine does nor is he even close to as efficient. there is a wide gap in efficiency and it's a big deal. you can't have a volume scorer who's efficiency is significantly worse than the rest of the team - that will kill you every time. and that describes herro. and we haven't even touched on his atrocious defense. i'm about 55/45 on lavine (meaning i'd take him, but i'm only lukewarm on him), but i wouldn't touch herro. inefficient volume scorers who don't defend or make teammates better just don't aid in winning basketball.

Last edited:
How does Herro offensive numbers compare to lavine?

Nevermind. I used your link provided to check for myself. Much much closer than I expected. Lavine beats him but not by much.
not really that close at all when you take into account he gap in efficiency and the fact lavine is also a more proficient volume scorer. if it were just ppg to ppg, you could argue it's fairly close (though lavine would still have fairly decent advantage)

not really that close at all when you take into account he gap in efficiency and the fact lavine is also a more proficient volume scorer. if it were just ppg to ppg, you could argue it's fairly close (though lavine would still have fairly decent advantage)
When I loaded their names into the link provided for comparison they were very very similar efficiency wise and not far off volume wise. I was very surprised.

Well his last year is a player option... so if its a bargain he will opt out and get paid even more. Its a big contract for a guy with a knee injury history who is a borderline all-star.

Its kind of death by a thousand cuts with Lavine. On top of the other stuff I just don't think he's a smart basketball player.

If he was super cheap I'd be in... If we were one piece away I'd consider it... otherwise I'm not sure he's the guy to push in on .
Mean the last year before the PO
He would have to have a catastrophic injury not to opt out

Mean the last year before the PO
He would have to have a catastrophic injury not to opt out
Maybe... I think teams will slow down on paying everybody. If he has 2-3 more years of good stats on bad teams I'm not so sure he gets a raise. Either way player options are bad... if they opt in its cause they hurt or they sucking... opt out and they get more money. It adds to the potential downside.

Contract aside... I'm just not throwing enough in to acquire him.

The biggest thing IMO is Herro is 23 and Lavine 27. Herro fits our timeliness much better and I would like to compare Lavine at 23 to Herro at 23.

The cost to acquire is a lot less.

Go get Herro and call it a day.

You could do Sexton and Olynyk plus a first.

Clarkson, George, Dunn

Herro, Agbaji, THT

Markkanen, Fontecchio, Sensabaugh

Collins, Hendricks, Samanic

Kessler, Yurtseven

I'm also out on Tyler Herro... I understand the thought process though and the price should be really reasonable.

The biggest thing IMO is Herro is 23 and Lavine 27. Herro fits our timeliness much better and I would like to compare Lavine at 23 to Herro at 23.

The cost to acquire is a lot less.

Go get Herro and call it a day.

You could do Sexton and Olynyk plus a first.

Clarkson, George, Dunn

Herro, Agbaji, THT

Markkanen, Fontecchio, Sensabaugh

Collins, Hendricks, Samanic

Kessler, Yurtseven
LaVine is better for our timeline

Only if it’s basically a clearance deal (one 1st or less, no core pieces included).

Something Locke mentioned this morning that I agree with is that Lavine could be a good trade chip for us in the down the road if we try to trade for a bigger star. I think teams would be more interested in a package centered around Lavine and draft picks than they would say Sexton, Collins, Clarkson, etc.

Last edited:
Something Locke mentioned this morning that I agree with is that Lavine could be a good trade chip for us in the down the road if we try to trade for a bigger star. I think teams would be more interested in a package centered around Lavine and draft picks than they would say Sexton, Collins, Clarkson, etc.
What is the market for Lavine though?

I personally think Locke is off on that. Teams that would value Lavine highly are the teams that are already in contender status, and they dont trade away bigger stars. Of course there are the trade demand scenarios where someone wants out and the team he is in still wants to or has to compete (e.g. Nets last year)... but even in those cases Lavine needs to be a good fit for them to get the correct value back.

He is significant player that has made it with bad coaching. Maybe Hardy's staff can unlock more but it is risky. However if he can retain a high value, he might be good in another trade. One more thing, if Lauri likes playing with him then that alone may make it worth it.