What's new

SI Top 100 Players (100-31 so far)

Kemba absolutely could, but he gives up quite a bit on the other end.
He couldn't
Kemba has also gone for 35+ in a few playoff games. I'm not saying I don't think Donovan is better, but let's not sell these other guys short. CJ and Kemba are both tremendous offensive players.
Kemba has also gone for 35+ in a few playoff games. I'm not saying I don't think Donovan is better, but let's not sell these other guys short. CJ and Kemba are both tremendous offensive players.
For the record, Kemba scored 35+ only once in the payoff and has more games in which he scored less than 15 points. All on a much lower effiency of course. Kemba is overrated even as a scorer and Hornets'd trade him for Donovan in a heartbeat

Naw, I think a lot of people think that DM is going to have a rough year as the focus of the other teams defense. Granted, they would be ignoring last year's playoffs, but they are going to do it. Mainly a lot of people just don't watch the Jazz.
DM has already been the main focus of the other teams defense for several months

Because basketball is a team game.

*Also, CJ McCollum has games of 41 and 38 in the playoffs.

Players who have put up comparable or better stats than Donovan for multiple seasons are going to get the nod ahead of him. If you can't see why then you're just being a homer.
Then how'd you explain Oladipo, who's performed at a allstar level for only a year?

He couldn't

For the record, Kemba scored 35+ only once in the payoff and has more games in which he scored less than 15 points. All on a much lower effiency of course. Kemba is overrated even as a scorer and Hornets'd trade him for Donovan in a heartbeat
My bad, he scored 34 in one of the games I was thinking of. Like I said though, Donovan is better imo, but it's foolish to say that he or CJ couldn't have big playoff scoring games. It's a testament to how great he is that he's better than those guys, who are very talented in their own right.

Naw, I think a lot of people think that DM is going to have a rough year as the focus of the other teams defense. Granted, they would be ignoring last year's playoffs, but they are going to do it. Mainly a lot of people just don't watch the Jazz.

These two guys watch the jazz. I agree people do think there may be regression but knowing DM... I think that ish is crazy. His in season improvement last year was stunning.

I can't take a list seriously when it has Al Horford ranked ahead of Kyrie Irving and Jrue Holiday ranked ahead of Donovan Mitchell.
Last year (and his entire career) Horford was (has been) better than Irving.

Last year Holiday was better than Mitchell.

I would think that being a fan of the team that champions Rudy Gobert you would understand that DEFENSE is a thing.

Last year (and his entire career) Horford was (has been) better than Irving.

Last year Holiday was better than Mitchell.

I would think that being a fan of the team that champions Rudy Gobert you would understand that DEFENSE is a thing.

Horford also has tremendous value on offense... 40% plus three point shooter... fantastic screen setter... great passer. He has low volume and can't get a shot for himself unless it is on a post up.

This list is about one year production too... so they may have accounted for Kyrie missing some games.

All 5 Jazz starters are in (roughly) the top third of NBA starters (total 150). I suspect that their starter "depth" (for lack of a better term) is exceeded only by dubs and Celtics.
Rockets are pretty good too, with Capela, CP3 and Harden ranking pretty high. Too bad for them they let Ariza walk.

DM's ranking is absurd. Well, **** those clowns... What people like Coach Pop says are more important.

man, those player profiles are extremely well-written. Some of the best I've ever seen.

(KAT is too high, but the rest of the list seems pretty fair to me. ...Of course, I think DM should be higher...)

I'd be surprised if they put Haywood ahead of DM. They brought Boogie's injury into the equation big time having him at 66. Boogie's injury is probably worse than Hay's, but clearly that affected their placement of him.
They had Hayward like 26. Cousins Injury is holding out this year, where Hayward should be totally healthy going into the season, I think that was the reasoning. If Hayward broke his leg yesterday, I doubt they even have him in the top 100 right now.

It would be cool to see a list compiled of each teams players in the top 100, and like a scoring system somehow. I would do it, but I am far too lazy (and busy)

My bad, he scored 34 in one of the games I was thinking of. Like I said though, Donovan is better imo, but it's foolish to say that he or CJ couldn't have big playoff scoring games. It's a testament to how great he is that he's better than those guys, who are very talented in their own right.

I think the biggest comparison is that Mitchell grabbed the reins and pushed his team over when it counted, something neither Kemba or CJ have ever done despite scoring buckets during the regular season. Cj does not have "trash teammates" and Kemba has only to advance in the lowly east. Both would have been run out of the building by last year's Thunder.

man, those player profiles are extremely well-written. Some of the best I've ever seen.

(KAT is too high, but the rest of the list seems pretty fair to me. ...Of course, I think DM should be higher...)

Dowsett is on the open floor podcast and is one of my favorites to listen to. Has a lot of original thoughts... a dry sense of humor and he actually knows his stuff. He can be kind of weird but I think his quirks are hilarious.

I think the biggest comparison is that Mitchell grabbed the reins and pushed his team over when it counted, something neither Kemba or CJ have ever done despite scoring buckets during the regular season. Cj does not have "trash teammates" and Kemba has only to advance in the lowly east. Both would have been run out of the building by last year's Thunder.
Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of this. I was just taking issue with the idea that neither of those players are capable of scoring 40 in a playoff game. They've both got a long history of being capable scorers, their team's lack of postseason success notwithstanding.

Yes, neither of them play with Gobert. Mitchell had an ideal situation any legitimate 20+ ppg scorer would thrive in.

CJ best teammate is redundant to him and overrated, the rest of the roster is pretty average.

The Hornets are an overpaid dumpster fire outside of Kemba whose 2nd best player might not even be our 6th best player.

Mitchell has done it for one season. Expecting him to be ahead of guys who are more proven is just silly. Don't be so entitled.