What's new

Simple question about trading before July

idiot

Well, maybe not a simple question, but a basic one, one that should be talked about more as we're getting worked up about trade possibilities:

Does any other team have incentives to complete a trade before July 1? And do any of these possible partners tie in to players we are interested in?

If a team is going to be in the luxury (only Portland and Cavs right now), they could dump a contract before July 1 to avoid the luxury. The player would have to be signed to a contract through the 2017/18 season.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

So only Cleveland and Portland have an incentive to trade with us before July 1, and only if they can drop salary in the process? Would we want anything from them? (I guess a 3-way with George and Love would allow Cleveland to drop a couple million.)

On the other hand, wouldn't it make more sense for all the other teams (including those we're looking for possible PG trades with) to wait until after July 1? That way they'd have a fuller trade market with the increased salary cap numbers in place -- yeah?

So I guess my point is unless someone has different insight: we have a lot of incentive to trade before July 1. But none of our best potential partners do. So, chances are, if we do a trade before July 1, it may be that the other team has better leverage than we do. So it may be unlikely for us to actually do a pre-July trade. Does that sound about right?

So only Cleveland and Portland have an incentive to trade with us before July 1, and only if they can drop salary in the process? Would we want anything from them? (I guess a 3-way with George and Love would allow Cleveland to drop a couple million.)

On the other hand, wouldn't it make more sense for all the other teams (including those we're looking for possible PG trades with) to wait until after July 1? That way they'd have a fuller trade market with the increased salary cap numbers in place -- yeah?

So I guess my point is unless someone has different insight: we have a lot of incentive to trade before July 1. But none of our best potential partners do. So, chances are, if we do a trade before July 1, it may be that the other team has better leverage than we do. So it may be unlikely for us to actually do a pre-July trade. Does that sound about right?

Plenty of teams want to clear salary cap space for free agency. Some teams are hopeful of signing various free agents and need room for that. They can take advantage of the Utah Jazz space to clear room now. Jazz won't have the same amount of room after July 1st. There will be other options for teams to clear space but this might be the easiest. Plus those teams can make an offer to a player the second FA begins.

There is also teams who want to free up cap space to go after free agents. If they wait until after July 1st they would have to take salary back.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Plenty of teams want to clear salary cap space for free agency. Some teams are hopeful of signing various free agents and need room for that. They can take advantage of the Utah Jazz space to clear room now. Jazz won't have the same amount of room after July 1st. There will be other options for teams to clear space but this might be the easiest. Plus those teams can make an offer to a player the second FA begins.

For the Jazz potential trades we've been throwing around, this might apply most to Houston?

Maybe also to Minny?

Yes the salary cap penalties go into effect July 1st. So if a team drops salary by that date their penalty maybe less or nat at all.

*I could be wrong here but this is my understanding

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

This is not true. The cap freezes some time after the trade deadline and luxury tax is based on that number.

It's all abou having the space available. You may have deals set up but if you can't clear the space to complete those deals it messes things up.

The first part isn't true. Other teams may not have as much incentive as we do. They risk not having somewhere to put a contract they don't want though. Sacramento Brooklyn and philly still have some space to dump salaries so it's likely there is not a big sense of urgency.

It's basically trade lubricant at this point. May make a teams life easier to clear the contract they want. Teams also may need a third party facilitator if salaries don't line up.

Thanks to all who have chimed in here Still hoping that someone can provide a specific scenario where us providing this pre-July cap space can clearly benefit a team that may be willing to deal us a PG. What would that deal look like? (I could imagine Beverley for a second-round pick, for example, but would Houston really be that motivated to trade Beverley by himself without simultaneously unloading a bigger contract?)

For the Jazz potential trades we've been throwing around, this might apply most to Houston?

Maybe also to Minny?

Definitely for Both of those teams. Houston wants to go after big names. Minnesota wants an expensive PG. I'm not sure exactly how much room either needs to clear, I'll have to look it tomorrow or hope someone else posts it.

Thanks to all who have chimed in here Still hoping that someone can provide a specific scenario where us providing this pre-July cap space can clearly benefit a team that may be willing to deal us a PG. What would that deal look like? (I could imagine Beverley for a second-round pick, for example, but would Houston really be that motivated to trade Beverley by himself without simultaneously unloading a bigger contract?)

I think Houston would like to unload a bigger contract and has to do so to be able to offer a max contract. That's why I'm beginning to think we don't really have a chance at getting Beverley.

Minnesota could trade us Rubio for picks and not take any salary back. That would go a long way towards being able to offer a max contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app