What's new

SLC Summer League Game 3: Jazz v. Spurs

Perhaps you need to keep up, because you're arguing against an idea that hasn't been posed. I haven't seen anybody claim that DL is/was a savant, or extraordinarily good at his job. Above average, good, very good even, yes. Savant? Nobody has said that.

You've knocked his drafting more than you've complimented it, said he's below average in roster management, yet you still think he's above average overall? How did you get there with all of the above being true in your mind?
You need to reading comprehension. Here is some homework, go search for every post by every person about DL and his roster management and track record, cross-reference them all for opinions on his abilities (you will probably need a spreadsheet), then get back to us once you have run your regression analysis and have a valid r-value. TIA

As for your last paragraph, he gets equal credit for all of his picks really. Do the math, has he drafted more generational talent or more busts?

Also you need to keep up with the discussion. I was not making the claim that he only gets credit for the bad picks, I was arguing against the idea that he is some savant because he saw something in Gobert and Mitchell. I think he is above average as a GM in general but the idea that he is some mystical soothsayer because he moved up a few spots to pick Mitchell is ridiculous.
I tried so hard to walk away but failed.

What GM in the history of GM's has picked more generational talents than "busts"?
I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's the nature of the NBA that more players will wash out than will stick. Yes there are better odds of them sticking around with better draft spots, but generational talents are just that, generational. If there are only a few per decade out of hundreds of drafted players, how is that a black mark or a sign of weakness for any GM unless they are exceptionally poor at it. If DL picked up 2 generational talents in his 7 or 8 years, I consider that a success.

There, I'm done. If I have any self control at all I'll walk away from here.

You need to reading comprehension. Here is some homework, go search for every post by every person about DL and his roster management and track record, cross-reference them all for opinions on his abilities (you will probably need a spreadsheet), then get back to us once you have run your regression analysis and have a valid r-value. TIA

"You need to reading comprehension."

Good work on that one Log.

Now answer the questions put before you, if you're capable.

Regardless I see more flashes of versatility from Brantley than I see with Niang. I feel Georges like Exum are our weaker roster spots that need upgrades.

There people go underestimating Niang just like everyone did with Ingles. Niang is damn good at putting the ball through the hoop. We are keeping him, oh ya, he can also shoot too.

There people go underestimating Niang just like everyone did with Ingles. Niang is damn good at putting the ball through the hoop. We are keeping him, oh ya, he can also shoot too.

I'm not disputing that but he might be one of the weaker players in our lineup and that shot isn't always on

I'm not disputing that but he might be one of the weaker players in our lineup and that shot isn't always on
It wasn’t to begin the year (speed of the game) once he got some minutes under his belt and got some confidence he was money the last 10-15 games and playoffs. He showed he was a shot maker, not just a shooter.

It wasn’t to begin the year (speed of the game) once he got some minutes under his belt and got some confidence he was money the last 10-15 games and playoffs. He showed he was a shot maker, not just a shooter.
Regardless he remains a role player, with whom we could possibly upgrade. It's not like he is irreplaceable. Better is out there

Regardless he remains a role player, with whom we could possibly upgrade. It's not like he is irreplaceable. Better is out there
Nope. You don’t get rid of Ingles future replacement. He’s getting up in age, and Niang can give a little of what Ingles brings to the table. He’s a potential future starter.

Nope. You don’t get rid of Ingles future replacement. He’s getting up in age, and Niang can give a little of what Ingles brings to the table. He’s a potential future starter.

I beg to differ, that's why alot of us wanted to trade his rights for upgrades. But you are free to chime in that's cool

I beg to differ, that's why alot of us wanted to trade his rights for upgrades. But you are free to chime in that's cool
Not comparing Ingles to Niang, but Niang has stud team glue guy written all over him. No one thought Ingles was even worthy to lace up in the nba. People are writing off Niang the same way. It took three years for Ingles to play into the starting lineup. As of now he may be our best bench scorer. He also has a chance to be better than Ingles. I’m being serious when I say I think he could end up better than Ingles when all said and done.

Did you finish your homework? No dessert for you then.

Not comparing Ingles to Niang, but Niang has stud team glue guy written all over him. No one thought Ingles was even worthy to lace up in the nba. People are writing off Niang the same way. It took three years for Ingles to play into the starting lineup. As of now he may be our best bench scorer. He also has a chance to be better than Ingles. I’m being serious when I say I think he could end up better than Ingles when all said and done.
Is it written all over him in jazz dna?

I'm not that high on Niang, but the Jazz still have plenty of roster spots. Assume Bradley, Niang and 1 of the draft picks (the other 2 get two-ways). That's 13 , right? So Jazz can still sign a couple of vets. Are there decent players left who would sign for the minimum AND want to play in Utah? If not more than 2, it does no good to waive Niang (or Bradley). If the Jazz need a roster spot for someone near the deadline, then they can make a roster move. But I doubt the Jazz can make a trade given the restrictions on the draft pick.

Niang is a system guy, he flourishes but I don't think he is completely skilled enough to beat a playoff style defensive focus. That being said he is consistently improving but again we will see. I don't see him being more than an average role player

Niang is a system guy, he flourishes but I don't think he is completely skilled enough to beat a playoff style defensive focus. That being said he is consistently improving but again we will see. I don't see him being more than an average role player
Sounds like the same complaints made about Ingles. People see the lack of athleticism white Dad bod look and discount the intangibles, and fact that these guys have intangibles and IQ coming out their ears, but whatever.

Sounds like the same complaints made about Ingles. People see the lack of athleticism white Dad bod look and discount the intangibles, and fact that these guys have intangibles and IQ coming out their ears, but whatever.

Honestly no, Ingles is really smart and has an edge to him. He shoots can get his layups and talks trash his level of skill is much higher than Niang. Niang is not as skilled doesn't have as high of awareness and struggles to create his own shot. I see Niang as a fringe deep bench guy that if he hits his occasional shot can be a role player in the league. You can't compare Joe to Niang cause Joe has proven more and owns him in every category and facet of the game

Honestly no, Ingles is really smart and has an edge to him. He shoots can get his layups and talks trash his level of skill is much higher than Niang. Niang is not as skilled doesn't have as high of awareness and struggles to create his own shot. I see Niang as a fringe deep bench guy that if he hits his occasional shot can be a role player in the league. You can't compare Joe to Niang cause Joe has proven more and owns him in every category and facet of the game
Ingles struggled to create his shot at a worse rate than Niang this year. Hell it took Ingles three years to learn to create for him and others. Lol