What's new

So..... Can way say that bench assignment is not the best way to develop talent..??

Assuming Player B is also watching film as well as the game in real time, it's much more about who A and B are, and where they are in their development. Only a fool thinks the answer should be the same for every player, every game. Thus, The Norm.

Perhaps for you players are just cogs you plug in and pull out. I think even coaches as defective as Corbin know better, and treat them as people.

That's why I said "All other things being equal", dumbass.

They've already been mentioned in this thread. Putting players in a position to succeed helps a player build confidence AND learn to play the right way. Throwing a player into situations that he's not ready for may hurt his confidence and reinforce bad habits (especially if high minutes are guaranteed). Further, you can't possibly get a good feel for the pace or emotion of a game from film. Teaching moments in real time are invaluable.

It's probably also worth mentioning that these guys are playing roughly every other day, and travelling to half their games. They probably aren't getting as much one-on-one film time, group film time, and individual and group practice in-season as you think.

Although I totally agree, I'd argue that what the Jazz are doing this year is exactly what you've said: Throwing the players into situations that they aren't ready for. I'm as excited for a top pick as anybody, but I worry what this season will do to our players' confidence.

And yet Kanter still doesn't look like he knows what the hell he's doing, and Burks and Favors are playing the same way they've always played. The only player who's shown major improvement is Hayward... and incidentally, he's also the only one who's had regular playing time for most of his career.

I don't watch many games, so maybe this is easier for me to see. Favors, Burks, and Kanter have all improved. Their footwork/placement has improved, they are trying new moves, they are responding a little better on defense. Players seldom develop as quickly as fans think they should.

That's why I said "All other things being equal", dumbass.

Yes, you said said "all other things being equal", and then created a huge, unnecessary inequality in the activities of Player A and Player B. I supposed it was stupid of me to notice this, and very smart of you to create it thinking it would not be noticed.

As I said, assuming all other things are equal, there is no reason to think Player A and Player B need the exact same type of training regimen. If you wish to think someone is a deumbass for saying that training needs to be adapted to the student for maximal effectiveness, I can live with that judgment.

Players improve most by increasing their skill level outside of actual gameplay. And if they do this they will become better and playing time will then be given. I'd assume this is the way the Jazz look at it, and I don't disagree as much as others do with this strategy.

Kanter would have been ruined had Corbin not brought him along at a pace commensurate with his growing abilities. Look how timid he is this season and imagine how much worse he would have been two season ago.

Your playing time concept is fools gold.

You hit on the whole point of this topic. Kanter's in his 3rd NBA season and still timid as hell. All that sitting on the bench didn't do much to shake that out of him.

There is the crux of the debate. Expressed in the question, why is Kanter being so timid? Here are some possible causes/conclusions:

* Not enough PT early on
* His development is perfect and he would be even more timid if he had had more PT early on
* His injury has made him gun-shy
* He is naturally timid and will never overcome it, or only with great difficulty
* He is not engaged and doesn't care about winning, nothing to do with timidity at all
* He is not engaged because he is discouraged about losing so much this season
* He really doesn't like basketball (John Amaechi Syndrome)

So I think it is very hard to say with certainty which of those it is, or maybe something else. Maybe he has another condition and needs a good clapping to get it fixed.

This debate is philosophical and so we will likely never reach a conclusion. Some feel that bringing a player along slowly is the best way, others feel that putting their feet to the fire is the best way, still others feel a balanced approach is better, and yet others, myself included, think that it should be different for each player and that there is no magic formula you can just apply to everyone out of hand.