What's new

So do we still need a star?

Now that we look to have an elite defense, do we still need that go to guy who can take over at the end of games? Should we still do everything possible to try to get Russell?

I am totally drinking the Kool aid and think we can win 50 games next year with a healthy Burks, improvement from Exum/Hood, and another big step forward by Rudy (post moves??). Add a lottery pick and a free agent to solidify the bench and we are a playoff team for the next decade. Not to mention we have an excellent coach who is a master at player development and knows what it takes to put our guys in position to be successful.

So is the rebuild over? Or are we still missing that one star player to put us into contention?

My personal thoughts are, our current team will be a playoff team. An actual title contender we need to add another star/borderline star to the mix.

Give me Ante Tomic, and a (cheaper due to injury) Wes Mathews and we could have something special. I say take a chance on Wes after his injury. Worst case scenario, he doesn't pan out and we still have Hood and Burks. Best case Scenario, he kicks *** and we still have Hood and Burks!

Now that we look to have an elite defense, do we still need that go to guy who can take over at the end of games? Should we still do everything possible to try to get Russell?

I am totally drinking the Kool aid and think we can win 50 games next year with a healthy Burks, improvement from Exum/Hood, and another big step forward by Rudy (post moves??). Add a lottery pick and a free agent to solidify the bench and we are a playoff team for the next decade. Not to mention we have an excellent coach who is a master at player development and knows what it takes to put our guys in position to be successful.

So is the rebuild over? Or are we still missing that one star player to put us into contention?

We either need Dante to become the Australian Kobe... or we need to bring someone over who can generate scoring chances while still maintaining our defensive identity.

We could also use another 3D guy. We have been shooting a lot of threes - We might as well make 'em.

I like this team. I don't think we necessarily need a star. We definitely need a scorer, and we need a bit more depth. A big guy off the bench that can score would be fantastic (Tomic would be nice for this). Basically we need a more consistent bench. I think Favors, Gobert and Hayward can be our "Star". We are just missing some things on the bench. And we definitely need the young guys to keep improving.

I think Hayard and Gobert can be starish enough that we won't need a top 5-10 player. Obviously I'd rather have a top player but I don't see that happening.

I think the question is if we need a superstar. We already have at least 3 players who have shown that they can become stars in this league. But despite that fact, I would certainly be in favor of getting a bigger name if we have the opportunity. But it really would come down to who we can get and who we would have to give up to get them.

I think there is a chance we already have our star in the making in Dante. If he can become a Tony Parker with better defense I think we are set for contention.

Let me ask you guys this, and i do realize its blasphemy: the Lakers call us at draft time and offer us their pick (top 3) in exchange for Favors and Burke, do we consider it if Russell is there? And draft Myles Turner with our lottery pick?

stars are always welcome, but we have three all star caliber players, and three more players with potential still. Hood, Burks and Exum could be very good still, to varying degrees. I think now filling out the roster is about fit. Like a few have mentioned in this thread already, we need a more consistent bench, and a player who can make some threes with more consistency. We are going to have an elite defense for a long time, but if we want an elite offense, we need some shooting ability, and some scoring ability. Burks/Exum could be the scorers, and Hood/Exum could develop into our shooters. We are much closer to contending than we were at the beginning of this season.

I think the need for a star is a little skewed. Most people when they say that indicate that you need a big time offensive player/scorer. If this defense is for real then our defense is kind of our star.

Also they say you need a go to player... Isn't Hayward good enough? He's hit some big shots. He can get his own shot when needed. He's not Kevin Durant but I don't think we are getting that type of guy.

The model for us is really Memphis. I will be watching them closely. I think Conley is their go to guy... Hayward is better than him.

In short I think we need to improve but I don't think we need a star in the general meaning of that term. I still like the idea of signing a discounted Wes. We have players in front of him that can allow him to come back slowly.

All this said I wouldn't mind going all in for a Russell if it took future picks to get there... The other team wouldn't go for that though. Not ready to give up on Exum and not sure what his value is at this point.

We already have a star or two... we need an elite scoring option. So long as their defense is serviceable, it'll be fine.

I think there is a chance we already have our star in the making in Dante. If he can become a Tony Parker with better defense I think we are set for contention.

Let me ask you guys this, and i do realize its blasphemy: the Lakers call us at draft time and offer us their pick (top 3) in exchange for Favors and Burke, do we consider it if Russell is there? And draft Myles Turner with our lottery pick?
No. You don't tear it down when you just start to show you are pretty good. Especially with one of your 2 best players. Burke can go but I consider Favors, Hayward and Gobert untouchable right now. Maybe that changes later but right now I'd have to be getting Lebron or Curry to consider trading any of them. Even Lebron would probably be a no because of his contract situation.

Nope... Favs is a really good two way player and has been key in our development and defensive identity.

My personal thoughts are, our current team will be a playoff team. An actual title contender we need to add another star/borderline star to the mix.

Give me Ante Tomic, and a (cheaper due to injury) Wes Mathews and we could have something special. I say take a chance on Wes after his injury. Worst case scenario, he doesn't pan out and we still have Hood and Burks. Best case Scenario, he kicks *** and we still have Hood and Burks!

Very well said. We should make the back end of the playoffs next year. With a little luck maybe 5-6 if we stay healthy, we get a few gift wins, etc. We need another star to compete with the big boys.
Warriors have a Curry who Hayward is nice. I like to put it like this. Hayward is an all-star level player, but not a high level star like Curry is. Hayward with another player even at his level would do damage.

A real big time star would be great, as long as it did not change the chemistry of the team. I would be concerned that a big time star would command the ball too much, and change the roles of the current players.

I may be wrong, but I see this team having a lot of room to grow without big personnel changes. Now, if you have a chance to upgrade the talent, you do it, even at the cost of a guy you really like, but I am not sure the guys are not pretty much in place to get it done.

No. You don't tear it down when you just start to show you are pretty good. Especially with one of your 2 best players. Burke can go but I consider Favors, Hayward and Gobert untouchable right now. Maybe that changes later but right now I'd have to be getting Lebron or Curry to consider trading any of them. Even Lebron would probably be a no because of his contract situation.

Good points. I'm on the fence about it. On one hand, I get what you're saying and I do love Favors and think he can still turn into an all star. On the other hand, Russell could be the next Curry/Harden and we still would have Rudy anchoring our front court and we could sign a stretch 4 in free agency instead of a wing.

We want a championship level team. For that the Jazz absolutely needed another star.

The difference between contender between contender and playoff team will be as hard to jump the the difference betyween lottery adn playoff team is.

This team will make the playoffs. As constituted they will not be contenders. Not yet.

Very well said. We should make the back end of the playoffs next year. With a little luck maybe 5-6 if we stay healthy, we get a few gift wins, etc. We need another star to compete with the big boys.
Warriors have a Curry who Hayward is nice. I like to put it like this. Hayward is an all-star level player, but not a high level star like Curry is. Hayward with another player even at his level would do damage.

Favors is getting pretty awesome on offense, and there is a chance that Dante becomes as good as Hayward. I think the Jazz are pretty close to being great. It just depends on what happens with Dante, Hood and Burks, or if they sign another borderline all star. We could very well get lucky in the draft and find another steal like Rudy, or Rudy could even magically develop into a 20 ppg scorer. Even if none of that happens, the Jazz are set to be pretty darn good for a decade.

Good points. I'm on the fence about it. On one hand, I get what you're saying and I do love Favors and think he can still turn into an all star. On the other hand, Russell could be the next Curry/Harden and we still would have Rudy anchoring our front court and we could sign a stretch 4 in free agency instead of a wing.

Favors will be an all-star next year if the NBA considers defense. He is a two way player who get his offense within the flow of what we do. Gets very few isolation opportunities. I love Russell, but there is still a chance he doesn't work and he will take a few years to get there. There is no way I'd consider this and I have been drinkin dat Russell Kool-Aid.

Can't hurt. But depends on the star and do they fit within the culture Utah is building or do they shift it? I'm thinking Anthony Davis would look good in a Jazz uniform.