What's new

So You Just Won the Lottery...

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So, dreaming about what life would be like if suddenly hundreds of millions of dollars were dropped on your head can be fun, but from what I hear winning the lottery is usually a curse.

What’s your “If I won the lottery” fantasy?

Do you think there’s a right way to win the lottery and live your life? A wrong way?

Anyone have any insight on what throws most lottery winners off the tracks? I've heard comments about how it can negatively affect your relationship with friends and family because now they think you should give them some of the money or help them out with money whenever they “need” it. Also how after the initial rush wears off being surrounded by a bunch of expensive junk and serving no real purpose in life isn't very satisfying. I imagine drugs, alcohol, prostitution and gambling claim their fair share of lottery winners, too.

I was reading the “Should Utah Have a Lottery” thread and with the huge single winner jackpot that just took place maybe some of you have been thinking about this lately.

Oh, and for anyone who drove out of state to buy tickets, how many did you buy? Do you have a strategy for picking numbers or any other superstitions regarding the lotto? Is there a real sense of disappointment when you see the numbers and realize you didn't win or did you not get your hopes up in the first place?

I'd buy an ice cream van and drive around showering free goodies on the children. & get my billboard for the UT-ID boarder letting them know how ****ty their driving is.

Personally I want my own space ship. I don't play the lotto because I don't think there's enough money in it to get me where I really want to go.

Step 1 - resist the urge to tell ANYONE.
Step 2 - hire a damn good lawyer and CPA.
Step 3 - under the advise of professionals, set up the proper legal vehicles that provide anonymity.
Step 4 - Live the plan they give you. It's impossible to go broke unless you're a stupid hick.
Step 5 - resist the urge to tell ANYONE.. just let everyone believe you're a brilliant entrepreneur.

I would see the world, learn new cultures, and do everything I can to be sure my kids grow up to be adults that respect others and are more givers than takers.. and aren't douche bags like their old man.

Step 1 - resist the urge to tell ANYONE.
Step 2 - hire a damn good lawyer and CPA.
Step 3 - under the advise of professionals, set up the proper legal vehicles that provide anonymity.
Step 4 - Live the plan they give you. It's impossible to go broke unless you're a stupid hick.
Step 5 - resist the urge to tell ANYONE.. just let everyone believe you're a brilliant entrepreneur.

I would see the world, learn new cultures, and do everything I can to be sure my kids grow up to be adults that respect others and are more givers than takers.. and aren't douche bags like their old man.

Some states I believe don't give you the option of anonymity, they just release the winner's name.

Some states I believe don't give you the option of anonymity, they just release the winner's name.

Then I wouldn't claim it in that state. I assumed GF was referring to Powerball or Megamillions.. that are multi-state lotteries.

Sadly my prostate has kept me and my 21 yr old girlfriend from being able to make babies.

posted from my htc one using tapaBONGO

Sadly my prostate has kept me and my 21 yr old girlfriend from being able to make babies.

Get well soon. I bet if you won the lottery not only, not only would you be able to start your own website but you might be able to buy a new prostate and maybe even trade in the haggard 21 year old for a spry 20 year old who can massage it for you.

Now how often is your 21 year old girlfriend let out of the basement? Do you have a picture of her? Or at least a police sketch of what she might currently look like today?

I heard of this guy who won the lottery...millions of dollars...and he decided to mail the winning ticket to a charity because he thought the money would destroy his wife and kids.

I figure the person who opened the letter would be under no obligation to apply the money to the charity. They could just as well keep it for themselves if they had no scruples.

I'd make myself a hermity mountain compound with my winnings.

Now how often is your 21 year old girlfriend let out of the basement? Do you have a picture of her? Or at least a police sketch of what she might currently look like today?

Why are you so fascinated with UGLI's age. You know he isn't the only "senior member" on Jazzfanz.

Beantown's age prejudice on this website is disturbing to say the least.